DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Plan, the Seals, and Freeing the Dark One

rane008

Just a thought I had the other day regarding Rand's Plan to break the remaining seals. The main argument against doing this (from the Randland perspective) is that it will free the Dark One. But there is no evidence that breaking the seals will actually do that. In fact, it seems to me that all that would happen is that the Bore would then be reopen. The Dark One would still have to free himself, something that he did not do in the AOL, even with the Bore open as long as it was. He may be able to touch the Pattern, but he will not be free. Freeing himself would be a distinct and separate event from the opening of the Bore. Does anyone else see this?

So, if the seals were broken, we'd be back at the point just before the Hundred Companions sealed it. The DO would not be free, but he would have a pretty good ability to touch the world and the Pattern. Of course, there are difference between the AOL and the 3rd Age. For instance, Shaidar Haran's existence could be new. Perhaps the DO was able to manipulate the Bore enough, even with the seals in place, in order to project fully his avatar into the world and that would allow him to actually escape (SH's POV would seem to indicate this). But it seems to me that the breaking of the seals is not tantamount to the DO breaking free.

Yeah, that's been discussed before. Note that not even Randlanders think it's the same thing -- Egwene only said 'risk freeing the DO'. And, naturally, the Bore has grown since it was drilled, and there's no way of telling how much larger it would need to be before the DO can escape.

Still, it would seem that you're right. The DO freed is instantaneous victory for the Shadow. Merely breaking the Seals wouldn't achieve that.

And, naturally, the Bore has grown since it was drilled, and there's no way of telling how much larger it would need to be before the DO can escape.

Not sure if you are referring to the characters perspective, or it actually being truth, so disregard it if it is the former.

I had thought that aswell, considering Demandred's thoughts on the matter in LoC, however, apparently he was wrong.

INTERVIEW: Nov 2nd, 2010

TOM Signing Report - Matt Hatch (Paraphrased)

MATT HATCH

Is the Bore larger or smaller than it was at the time of the Sealing?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The same size (95% sure).

MATT HATCH

So, are the seals, even in their weakened state, the reason the Bore has not grown any larger?

BRANDON SANDERSON

As far as I know, yes.

And, naturally, the Bore has grown since it was drilled, and there's no way of telling how much larger it would need to be before the DO can escape.

Not sure if you are referring to the characters perspective, or it actually being truth, so disregard it if it is the former.

I had thought that aswell, considering Demandred's thoughts on the matter in LoC, however, apparently he was wrong.

MATT HATCH

BRANDON SANDERSON

MATT HATCH

So, are the seals, even in their weakened state, the reason the Bore has not grown any larger?

BRANDON SANDERSON

As far as I know, yes.

Unfortunately these are always BS's answers to questions; I'm XX% sure, as far as I know, Let me MAFO that one, email me and I'll tell you later...I do this all the time, especially on this forum, and you know why? Because I'm a reader that can't remember a damn thing. This is the guy that took over writing...ugh.

MATT HATCH

BRANDON SANDERSON

MATT HATCH

BRANDON SANDERSON

As far as I know, yes.

Unfortunately these are always BS's answers to questions; I'm XX% sure, as far as I know, Let me MAFO that one, email me and I'll tell you later...I do this all the time, especially on this forum, and you know why? Because I'm a reader that can't remember a damn thing. This is the guy that took over writing...ugh.

Given it is not specifically mentioned in the books itself and only in RJ's (rather extensive) notes we can assume it was not plot integral to the final books.

Ah, but I said "since it was drilled", not "Sealed" :smile:

Archived