DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gaidal Cain

Darksmoon

The post on Gaidal Cain got me thinking about him. Why is Cain reborn so late in time? Obviously he will play no part in the last battle as a baby and he will not play a part in the immediate rebuilding of the world after the last battle.

So what is his role to be? Why did the Wheel spin him out as it did?

The world is going to be pretty messed up after Tarmon Gaidon so i assumed he would be part of the rebuild of the next generation.

Once the current generation (that actually took place during the event) start to get old and die the world is going to lose a lot of the little light it has left if it gets messed up as much as i think it will. They are going to need heroes to give them something to latch on to while they rebuild the world into what ever shape it will take in the 4th age. This is the perfect time for the heroes to start getting reborn and help that effort in my opinion

I would agree that their will be plenty of work to do in the age; however, is the Last Battle the most critical event of the time? Wouldn't he be needed most then?

Also I'm curious to see what heroes appear when the Horn is blown. It will be interesting to see if others have been reborn.

I would agree that their will be plenty of work to do in the age; however, is the Last Battle the most critical event of the time? Wouldn't he be needed most then?

Also I'm curious to see what heroes appear when the Horn is blown. It will be interesting to see if others have been reborn.

Any hero reborn since the horn was last blown (ie: tGH), will be 2 years old, so relatively useless. And Arthur Hawkwing, who seemed to lead the heroes and may foremost amongst them won't be doing anything in the Last Battle either apart from when the horn is blown, so it seems that as far as tHotH are concerned, this is the Dragon's job.

The Last Battle is indeed the most critical event of the time, but having the heroes of the horn there will be better than having a single extra man that can wield 2 swords no matter what his skill level is. There are already plenty of fighters for this battle 1 more will nto make a difference.

One hero might make a difference in 30 years though as a lot of the chaos that is going to be created during the last battle will still affect the world for decades to come. It might be Cain that stops the Seanchan from consuming the whole world, or it might be Cain that helps them consume the whole world, or it might be Cain that helps people see they don't need to bow to a warlord that takes over a lot of Randland and is right and truly evil, or it Might be Cain that helps finally clear out the Blight, or (well you get the idea)

The last battle is a very big deal, but as the prophecy said "the last battle done but the world not done with battle" There will still be A LOT to do post TG and the Heroes of the Horn will play a big part of that I would think

If Gaidal isn't born for the Last Battle, the Pattern can essentially use him twice: once in the Last Battle when Mat blows the horn (without the fear of dying, I might add, and with all the awesome ethereal powers that come from being a spirit) and once again when he is born into the world. That's why the Wheel hasn't spit him, or most other Heroes, out at this time.

If Gaidal isn't born for the Last Battle, the Pattern can essentially use him twice: once in the Last Battle when Mat blows the horn (without the fear of dying, I might add, and with all the awesome ethereal powers that come from being a spirit) and once again when he is born into the world. That's why the Wheel hasn't spit him, or most other Heroes, out at this time.

Gaidal has been spun out, and will not answer the call of the Horn. He's an infant somewhere.

He's going to rescue Andor and the Aiel from the Seanchan.

Man, there are just so many epic things that could be their own stories, in the Wheel of Time. It's too bad RJ died. I might have to get interested in Fan Fiction just to see what people come up with for various side-plots and the like. I am of two minds about WoT becoming another Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms or Star Wars, where different authors can write books and it is accepted into the fold. On the one hand, if Team Jordan were to have strict rules about what is is allowed to carry the WoT name, then it might be worth reading. On the other hand, this would just cheapen RJ's life work and not really be satisfactory to a good many readers. There would always be debates along the lines of what is going on now with the RJ/BS split.

He's going to rescue Andor and the Aiel from the Seanchan.

Man, there are just so many epic things that could be their own stories, in the Wheel of Time. It's too bad RJ died. I might have to get interested in Fan Fiction just to see what people come up with for various side-plots and the like. I am of two minds about WoT becoming another Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms or Star Wars, where different authors can write books and it is accepted into the fold. On the one hand, if Team Jordan were to have strict rules about what is is allowed to carry the WoT name, then it might be worth reading. On the other hand, this would just cheapen RJ's life work and not really be satisfactory to a good many readers. There would always be debates along the lines of what is going on now with the RJ/BS split.

Not to mention it would be entirely against RJ's wishes. He was extremely uncomfortable within anyone else writing in his world and it wasn't until the very end that he relented and allowed the story to be finished. Even with the notes for AMoL BS still ended up creating about 50% of the story off his own ideas. There is far less outlined for other materials. It would basically mean those writers would be winging it to make up stories. It's an absolutely terrible idea. The WoT is a great work of fantasy while things like Forgotten Realms for the most part are rubbish marketing materials made to sell more 125 sided dice. The whole thing heading in that direction sound like an absolute horror show to me. Brandon has even said the last thing they want is for it to end up like one of those franchises and its best to stop while ahead.

1. I now want a 125 sided dice... that sounds awesome

2. Yeah i agree with the idea of letting the story stay finished. It is a wonderful work and i think letting people endlessly add to it would diminish it in the end. I'm glad they allowed Brandon to finish the series (as i think it deserved to be finished) but letting other "take a crack at it" with outrigger novels and all seems like it would lessen the over all experience. Maybe one day someone that loves this series could make an anthology of Brigette and Cain or something, but I think this story needs to "end" with AMoL.

More than likely it would be a bad thing, as you say, but if Team Jordan were to keep tight reins on whatever got the name.... Maybe, is all I am saying. If the fans were to realize that there is RJ writing, and then Other writing. RJ is canon, Other is just glorified Fan-Fic with maybe a review process to ensure it at least meets basic requirements.

Anyway, like you said, it would be against RJ's wishes, so I do not see Team Jordan going that route. I just mostly want to hold onto the dream that is WoT.

I'm hoping that the Big Wheel of Time encyclopedia that will be put out with provide a lot more background into the world and into the past. There is so much that RJ has fleshed out that I would enjoy reading about. I'm hoping for a lot of new content and not just recycled items.

Archived