DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If the fate rests with Eragon.....

Gurney

then we'll never see a WoT movie and if it were to be done the same way I hope we never do. The Eragon movie was the worst book to movie I think I have ever seen. Please, anyone who enjoyed the Eragon book even the slightest bit, do not see this movie. Let's hope that after this someone decides to show how a fantasy movie SHOULD be made and does the Wheel of Time.

Sorry...needed to rant about my huge waste of money on this movie.

I've never read the book, in fact, just heard of it (When I saw the trailer on TV, I sort of gave a "Huh...Era-what?"), and the impression the trailer gave off is as you said, Luckers. I'd say a much lower target audience for Eragon than what I'd want for WoT. WoT would be much better suited for a LoTR marketing scheme, and I'd be much more satisfied with it. Darker. The Tim Burton version of Batman, as opposed to...whoever the hell it was that ruined that franchise.

Though, yes, every fantasy movie that fails may hurt WoT's chances at making it to the silver screen, I'd say the lesson Lord of the Rings taught is still fresh in everyone's minds...and wait until the Hobbit hits theatres. WoT would have a larger fanbase than Eragon, wouldn't you think? Well...and a slightly cooler and more easily marketed storyline (Eragon, come on..."You could be the last dragonrider!" :roll: Horrible line to put in a trailer. Just lost any older, average person audience you might have pulled in).

I think WOT is better suited for a TV miniseries, each book I mean. I think every book is longer than any one of those book and at least two are longer than two books together. I mean if they were in-theaters they would have to be like 4hrs long each. As for Eragon, I read the books that are out, Eragon and Eldest, and I agree that the Inheritance trilogy is to plagaristic.

Had never heard of Eragon until a kid came home with KFC which contained an Eragon toy; even then I thought it was just a movie- know I've discovered it's a book I may read it but from the comments I've been seeing/hearing; hmmmm...

Perhaps (If they made a WoT movie)instead of ending where the book does they could end before time- I mean perhaps turn one book into a two-part movie. I've often thought they should do that with several book to movies because time just doesn't allow for including everything and sometimes the movies really suffer from what has been cut.

I s'pose we should also consider that a lot of WoT is made up of clothing descriptions which should be covered in costumes! :P

I'm actually going to have to disagree; I really liked the movie.

Yes it was a very simple story, and there are a lot of things I wondered about which (hopefully) is explained a little better in the book. But all in all it was a very enjoyable hour and a half. A little scary, a little funny, a little cheesy.. plus, it has dragons and magic, which makes me a happy camper. Now I need to read the book which has been standing on my shelf since the beginning of time.

As with most, if you've read the book, the film never does it justice. LOTR and Schindler's List are the only films that didn't leave me feeling dissatisfied after watching them, having already read the books.

Personally i think lots of things are better as mini-series. It gives you much more time to explain and you don;t have to drop characters and chapters.

Also, nowadays you can 'get away' with very different TV formats. 24 hrs for example. And a lot of people wait for the DVD sets to do it all at once.

My husband likes Eragon but he's no fantansy fan and hasn't ever read a book like it. I thought the first part alright but from the Varden onwards was rubbish. As if they thought it has to end with a big battle, that's 20 mins so that leaves us five mins for what was an important part of the book.

Guest Emperor

Any attempt to make WOT into a movie will be a disaster. The characters would either not get developed or they would skimp on the plot. The only reason LOTR was such a success is because most sci fi readers have read it and liked it.

I admit, I do not really want to see WOT on the big screen and I would only spend money to see it because I would be interested to see how bad they mess it up.

Mini-series is the only way to go with WOT but the general public would never want to watch this. I do not believe there is a market for WOT.

I think an HBO series would be the best way to do the Wheel of Time. Season 1 could be The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, and The Dragon Reborn over the course of 12 to 16 one hour episodes.

That gives enough of the story to be worth watching and in a way its as much of a completed story arc as you will ever find in the Wheel of Time. If successful the following seasons could each encompass 2 to 4 novels and finish out the story after a couple years.

I would love to see a TV series made out of WoT. Like someone mentioned before, you could get the whole thing in one DVD pack, or one whole season, anyway. I would want it to remain as near as possible to 100% accurate to the books. I wouldn't mind waiting and watching the whole series over the course of several years, that's how I've been reading it.

Guest Emperor

Like I said before, this will never be made into a tv mini series or a movie. It is overly complicated, long and just not good from a marketing standpoint. Look at everything they have tried and failed. The WOT computer game, the WOT RP... books 9-12 *g*. When was the last time you found a hardcover in a bookstore of LOTR on the bargain shelf for $4.99? The series would flop outside the books as it has in every other medium.

you can't make a WOT movie, its too long. A rule of thumb is that each page of a book/screen play is about 1 minute long. 800 page book>>800 minutes, and thats just the eye of the world.

Well in Robert Jordan's case You could see about half of the book just in what the people are wearing, which would take no time at all. I think that the books could be made into singular movies, sort-of like what the Harry Potter people are doing. Excpet WoT would be MUCH more interesting. (not offense to the Potter heads :P )

Guest Emperor

Are you smoking crack!

Granted, the harry potter movies are not amoung my favorites, but the books were damn good. What you would call an easy read even. But WOT in hp movie form is insane. Let's just take all the different story lines in one book you have to incorporate in a movie... you got Perrin chasing after Faile, Rand throwing tantrums and Mat hanging himself... then you have Elaine, Nanyneve, some bad guys.... it would never be as good a movie as the books. And let me tell you a secret which you will find out soon enough.. the books are not 'that' good. Especially after say like book 8. I mean, can you imagine Crossroads on the big screen. It hurts me to even think about how boring that movie would be.

I do not even know why I am arguing... WOT will never be on the big screen. No network would try to make this into a mini series, and who wants to watch a mini series about fantasy (without some cussing and sex) on premium channels.

I agree that WOT will never be made into a movie or miniseries cuz WOT is to complex. There is cursing, sex and nudity, blood and ashes, flaming, etc., are curses, just not american versions. No movie is sex from beginning to end, with one exception. There is all kind of nudity but I don't think these elements are enough to overcome the fact that it is to complex to hold United states audiences attention. I have no idea and do not choose to guess because I don't want to offend the international community.

Emporer, if you think the books aren't 'that' good then WHY ARE YOU ON THIS FORUM. If you were making a joke I apologize but since there was no smiley face there was no way to tell.

But WOT in hp movie form is insane

Okay maybe I said that wrong. What I meant to say is that each book could be made into it's own movie and not broken up like was mentioned earlier. But it probably won't happen you're right.

By the way CoT could be skipped in the movie process and just be given an honorable mention. Just as long as it gets worked in that Egwene gets captured somehwere.

Unlike a lot of my friends, I didn't read Eragon before watching the movie. I really found the movie to be rushed, overdramatic, and just mostly a bunch of hype. I did like some of the characters and would probably like the series if I read the books, even though Eragon and the princess and a couple other people suffered from prequel Star Wars-ish lame acting. My brother and his pals told me a lot of backstory behind the movie that sounded kinda interesting.

And as far as a WoT movie goes, nothing is impossible. Improbable, yea, but Peter Jackson could pull anything off.

Archived