DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who will be the POV in River of Souls

Glokta

I think Androl, Settale, or Logain are the most likely suspects. Probably not Tam because he was supposed to be the subject of a prequel. Probably not Verin because she won't be appearing in AMOL. Probably not Slayer because I think the series demand an in-series answer to how Isam and Luc came to be bound.

Taim... To show he was turned to the Darkside, and to show the inner turmoil of his tortured soul...

Ok, not that I think that's true but since most people are convinced he was always a DF or until recently, Demandred or Moridin in disguise, I think it would be an interesting twist

I think Tam is a possibility as well.

I like this idea, but I agree with Osan'gar's Razor on its unlikelihood. This seems more Brandon-created and spur of the moment for a friend rather than something developed and planned like Tam's back story.

The first thing I thought of was the back story of a likeable minor character who will be revealed to be a DF at Shayol Ghul. I would imagine it to be someone like Ingtar or Tomas who realizes in retrospect how bad their decision was but can't get out of it. Makes it sad, sympathetic, but distracting as well.

I don't really like some of the other options put out there like Verin or Logain. To me, while exciting and great characters, we pretty much know their back stories and histories for the most part. Speaking for myself, I don't need to know every detail about a person's life. Unless a character changes significantly in the last book, I feel like I've got a solid grip in characters like Setalle (burned out Aes Sedai with a strong will, good heart, and more brains than most) or Taim (evil. Whether turned or otherwise, he's all in for the DO and I don't really care how he got there). I'd rather see lesser (though not insignificant) characters who are more ambiguous along the lines of Talmanes or Androl have their past explained.

well it sounds like it has to be a minor character where you would think it pertinent to the story but not enough to stay in. I don't see aMoL having backstory really, I can't see room for it. More just something just not quite important enough to stay in.

I vote Perrin. Can you honestly say you had enough of his torment and his motivation to live? I really don't know what makes that guy tick. I'm going to guess his love for his wife, but I could be wrong. Another chapter of his POV would cement it for me definitely.

Or second choice Elayne. I really need more info on how she got all the houses to support her and what she eats for breakfast. I just cant get enough of that political stuff in a hack and slash world.

Its gotta be a "semi main" character, someone that could stand alone - and when people who never read WoT would be able to relate to in the story...so I really doubt it will be about DFs or long epiphanies about how Aes Sedai need to stand together and fight and blah blah....So IMO that rules out Eg, isam/luc, Verin, and the chosen.

I say Thom. We really don't know much about him - only one or two if that much POVs. By all right until he hooks up with Mo, he could have stayed in one village and been a simple entertainer for years. However we do know enough about him that we would be sad to see him go, or happy to see him succeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is a section that was originally supposed to be in in AMOL then it's most likely someone who would not have had their plotline resolved and would be functioning in the TG at least off screen. Tam doesn't seem like he'd make sense for this reason. A prequel or origin type thing of the Aiel War while very cool wouldn't make much sense for Sanderson to be writing a section on in the last book, but I can't really think of anything else you'd do with Tam at this point. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I guess I'm in the minority of not really finding Androl or Pevara that interesting. Logain would be interesting but it's hard to think that his stuff wouldn't make it into the final book. I'm glad for more content, but I'm also hoping it's something substantial enough to be worth reading. Some peripheral characters that have come into the story in the late game just don't hold as much appeal for me.

It has to be someone whose background RJ hasn't explored fully. I doubt any Forsaken would do.

FULLY?! I doubt any forsaked wouldn't do...

sure we get the gist of who they are, but this being a spin-off, it could even be set in the AoL. I'd imagine the Forsaken have far, far more unexplored backstory than anyone save LTT and Cadsuane.

EDIT: and Mordeth.

Archived