DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who will be the POV in River of Souls

Glokta

So this was the part of the book that he did such a horrible job writing that Harriet made him flat out remove it rather than even attempt to fix it.

I'm guessing it is going to be a Forsaken PoV - maybe a PoV showing Graendal being reincarnated.

i am thinking a Forsaken too maybe

I thought I would open a new thread regarding the identity of the POV in River of Souls.

From BS interview, we have the following clues:

He/she is:

• someone we know about a bit about their past, but not much
  • someone whose motivation we already know about, but not all

We also know that this part of the story

• is distracting
  • is sad

I would think it could be Logain or Slayer. For both, we know a bit about their history but there also a lot of blanks that would be interesting to find about. It could also reveal extra motives for what they do or are about to do. It would be distracting because it is not essential to the wrap-up of the story.

If it is Logain, it would mean that he dies (after knowing Glory) and that would be sad because he is a good guy and deserves a long and happy life

If it is Slayer, it would mean that the extra information shows that he has been turned bad against his will and it would be sad that he is killed because of his bad actions when deep inside he is a good guy.

To reply to the previous posts, I don’t think it is a Forsaken, because:

-We know about their motivation.

- The “distracting element” must belongs to a sub-plot and I can’t remember any sub-plots involving the Forsaken

- I can’t see how this new information about a Forsaken could add sadness to the story.

Now, let's argue!

Don't forget Verin.

I think I remember Brandon giving a 'big' RAFO to questions about whether or not we would see more of Verin.

Also, I think Taim could be a candidate, but I don't really see him as someone we need to know more about.

Lanfear would definitely be interesting....

I think it might be Androl. BS has been dropping hints about his back story in TOM and AMOL. And it seems to be something BS developed entirely on his own because as far as I can tell there are no clues whatsoever to Androl's past in any of the previous books.

I'm a bit more out of the loop than I'd like to be...

What's this River of Souls thing? Colloquialism for something expected, or did another chapter drop when I wasn't looking, or what?

It is a deleted chapter from aMoL that will feature in a collaborative work of fantasy authors to help raise funds for a man's medical bills.

http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php/News/book-news/unfettered-announced

Setalle Anan.

We know a little of her past (AS), but not too much.... (How she met Cadsuane etc), the story of her getting burnt out and trying to find a reason to carry on would have been distracting to the main story at the point and could be classed as sad.

I believe it is going to be Slayer and help explain what powers he has and how he has come to be as he is.

I could also see it being Fain and explaining more on how Mordeth got his powers and what he is capable of.

Both of these I find to be mysteries of the book but not necessary for the conclusion.

I'm going to go with Slayer as well. Didn't Graendal or Moridin refer to him as 'the man with two souls'? That ties in nicely with the story title. While there are good arguments for Setalle Anan, or - my first thought - Alanna - I think the River of Souls refers to something quite specific, rather than just being something that sounds poetic.

Maybe we'll learn something about transmigration, as someone mentioned above. Could something similar have been involved in the creation of Slayer?

One interesting point is that Slayer was presumably 'created' long before the seals started to weaken and the DO began to exercise his influence. Which only leaves Ishamael as the person who could have managed this - and wasn't Ishamael in one of his dormant cycles until close to the beginning of the Eye of the World?

Given the title of the selection, "River of Souls", I think the character must have some interaction with the Wheel/Pattern and/or TAR. Also, given that the story is "sad", it seems unlikely to be the story of an evil character. There are many possibilities, but I lean currently to suspect Birgitte Silverbow (maybe Gadren) or Alivia.

I would think it could be Logain

Yes please

If it is Logain, it would mean that he dies (after knowing Glory) and that would be sad because he is a good guy and deserves a long and happy life

Why would it mean that he dies?

Because BS says it is going to be "poignant" which I interpret as sad. And I think that the "something sad" might be Logain's death.

Sorry English is not my first language....

Alana is good candidate as well.

but i leaning toward Faine.

River of soul make me think of Mashdar or the black wind

Alanna would be one I would like to read I think...I had said Loial but it sounds like it's not a major character and he should fall under that category.

I think it will be Verin, trapped and tormented by the Dark One by her betrayal. We will learn of her back story, her struggles infiltrating the BA and mustering the courage to do the evil deeds they need her to do. And we'll see her soul released when Rand succeeds, and she'll be made a Hero of the Horn.

Archived