DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Two Theories

Yamahako

I've read a lot of stuff talking about how Rand is going to force the dragon's piece on them in payment for his being willing to fight the Dark One. And it doesn't sound that bad. But what if Rand's price, is bowing before the will of the Empress bringing the Seanchan into the war against the shadow and ceasing the conflict? We have a prophecy that states he will do this (although its veracity is in question). And this is something Tuon could accept.

Another theory I had: What if Rand doesn't die, but actually seals himself in the bore to counteract the DO. He wouldn't be dead, but in stasis, like the other forsaken were, so he wouldn't be spun out again. But he wouldn't truly be alive either. He also would be brought out first if someone tried to reopen the bore, and thus could stop them from releasing the DO again.

I don't blame him for enforcing the Dragon's Peace. He is entitled to do so. Whether it's to appease the Seanchan is a whole other idea. I think the Peace is because he wants to leave something behind that's not filled with war and destruction. His schools, appointing leaders of his conquered lands, and the very idea of the Dragon's Peace all scream this is the correct answer....Live or die, win or lose, he don't want to leave the world in broken chaos and locked in a perpetual war with one another.

As for your second theory, I hold my own counsel on his "to live you must die" prophecy. I've seen a lot of good theories, and some pretty crazy ones, and even some that have been well thought out. I have my own idea as to what happens there and a will have a small celebration if I'm right.

Theory 1 - It was very much proven that the Seanchan prophesies have been very corrupted over time and their legitimacy is doubtful at best.

Theory 2 - Rand will repair the pattern and not seal the bore. At least that is what his plan is and it is clearly stated in Chapter 1.

I think Rand's sees the need to make a deal with the little-d devil (the Seanchan) to defeat the big-D Devil (the DO). Much like the US and UK did with the Soviet Union and China. Just because alliance with the Seanchan is necessary doesn't mean they're not bad people. But with only a fractured alliance available (including a soon-to-be-rent Black Tower) and the Trolloc invasion in full swing, defeating the Seanchan isn't in the cards. And as Mat notes at the beginning of Crossroads of Twilight, the Seanchan settlers means they'll never truly be rooted out.

I don't like theory #2.

Theory 2 implies a lasting solution that the series has led us to believe won't happen due to the cyclic nature of their time. The only difference between this 'Third Age' and any of the other infinite 'Third Ages' that have happened is Padan Fain/ Mordeth and I always got the feeling that he was more of a curious anomaly and not a being of world-changing significance. I still think he'll be important in the victory of the light somehow though, he can't not be.

2nd theory, interesting, tho too falatistic for Americans (good for Russians tho, but authors r American)

1st sounds good, I think we will see more progress in Seachan empire B4 end of AMoL, too much forshadowing for it not too, like theory Tuon stuck and have to channel, tho if she does it would require explaination b/c she wasn't suldam long enough.

As to Sheachan prophecies being less valid than Randlan's, not buying, have no evidence, just that prophecy is, and Tuon can just refuse to comply if Rand doesn't bend knee, Rand bending knee to Tuon is not a problem for the new Rand who knows that he is a "servant to all" amd should find it easier to bend knee than the silly Aes Sedai of today who think they are G-d's gift to humanity, but rarely do much to help (of course I realize many do help, but this is a different topic)

2nd theory, interesting, tho too falatistic for Americans (good for Russians tho, but authors r American)

1st sounds good, I think we will see more progress in Seachan empire B4 end of AMoL, too much forshadowing for it not too, like theory Tuon stuck and have to channel, tho if she does it would require explaination b/c she wasn't suldam long enough.

As to Sheachan prophecies being less valid than Randlan's, not buying, have no evidence, just that prophecy is, and Tuon can just refuse to comply if Rand doesn't bend knee, Rand bending knee to Tuon is not a problem for the new Rand who knows that he is a "servant to all" amd should find it easier to bend knee than the silly Aes Sedai of today who think they are G-d's gift to humanity, but rarely do much to help (of course I realize many do help, but this is a different topic)

Yeah I don't think that Rand would have a problem kneeling before the Crystal Throne now, but he could still use it as a bargaining chip to keep the Randlanders in line. I always thought the "If you don't do what I say, I wont' fight the dark one" seemed a little petty for Rand Sedai.

Hey, I'm all for a Russian literature-esque ending. Jordan did base WoT off of War and Peace in part after all (as the infallible Wikipedia tells me).

Archived