DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My Fortune for a bandage... (Attn: Kyn)

U4ea

Kyn slumped into the chair, he'd been gone most of the day when he returned to the farmhouse and was a bit haggard from the travel about the wide perimeter he'd set to make sure they were still safe. Yesterday had been a smaller circle around, but he'd widen out everyday until he was certain they were safe. Or at least he would have if he hadn't found something today to change his planned pattern. He looked up at Loraine at her request and shrugged, "Its sort of good news, we're leaving, in a couple hours. Once I can be sure the sun will be down and we can sneak past those who search for us in the dark. I hope you're up to it. The Children will be here early in the morning judging by the direction and speed they've been travelling." He paused for a second, "It would be poor guests of us to repay these folk by being here when those bearing a the Inquisitorial Crook arrive." He leaned back in the chair to take in his wife's reaction to the news. He could feel the anxiousness, but underlying that there was something else he couldn't quite make out.

Leaving? The word rattled around in her head and she felt her muscles tighten in response. Light, she could barely sit up for a few hours, how was she supposed to walk away from this place? He was right, though. These people had put themselves out far too much to be caught in the snare of the Children for housing them. She refused to repay their kindness that way. 

"How long will we have? We'll blow our cover and put them at risk if they know we're leaving, so waiting until they're asleep is probably best. How early would you say the visitors will arrive?" She moved while she talked, testing limbs that hadn't seen much movement in the last few days and finding where her limits were. Adrenaline would help a bit, and Light knew there was plenty of fear beginning to course through her at the prospect of the Questioners approaching. There was simply no way she'd be doing this without causing further damage, of course. 

She kept her eyes on him, waiting for him to say something about preserving her strength as she eased herself upright on the bed and dropped her legs over the edge of the bed. She cursed at the weakness in her limbs, but pushed herself until she was standing up. She was none to steady, but then once the sun went down, there'd be no time to stop moving long enough to gain her balance. Kyn carrying her would just slow him down and make the likelihood of getting caught more of an issue. Besides, she could always throw up a quick weave of Air to help keep her steady. That weave would do no good to make her body move, though.  

Her knees shook and she dropped onto the bed again, gritting her teeth through a wave of pain that exploded from her side at the sudden movement. "I don't suppose there is a path we could follow that would cover our tracks enough to buy us time to get away, is there?" 

~Loraine

Kyn shook his head, he thought for a moment for how to put it as well as make sure his features were still from the feedback he was getting across the bond. "The only thing to travel on besides the road we used to come in is some game trail, which we'll be making use of at least part of the way. We leave at dark..." He rose and crossed the small space between them and pressed a kiss to her lips. Then turned to head back out, "I've got to get things ready for us to leave... and I see no way to not tip off our hosts since I've already asked for food." With a few more steps he was too the door and just then he heard the peal of thunder and glanced back at his wife laying in the bed and took in a deep breath and let out a sigh. "Oh yes, and its going to rain. Hard... that is at least good new for us."

Loraine snorted and eased herself back on the pillows. Rain would cover their tracks, but it would slow them down, too. Would it be enough to force the Children to find shelter? Worse, would they press harder to get to the nearest house, which was most likely this one, and arrive before they'd had time to get away? "You're just full of good news today, husband," she murmured. "I will rest as long as I can, then."

There's no reason to hide what she was now, except for the people here to be able to deny knowing anything more than the farmer and his wife who'd been attacked by bandits had stayed for a few days to rehabilitate. Light, why could nothing on this trip go easily? 

She closed her eyes and adjusted her body until the pain eased a bit and sighed. Riding a horse was going to be torture. It would be all she could do to keep from catching a cold for this trip. Just in case she wasn't already miserable...

She waited, her anxiety making it impossible for her to truly rest. She opened herself to saidar for the first time since leaving Mardecin and did a few simple weaves. If she had the clothes they'd be wearing, she could weave in a few weaves to keep them warm and dry. She still didn't have a stitch on her body and the large bandage wrapped tightly around her side served as the only things that would be leaving with her this evening. Her senses tingled as she wove a thread of Spirit through the bandage, weaving it so tight that water couldn't get through it., yet still loose enough that air could come through and help the wound heal without festering. She eyed the blood on the sheets and set about removing the stains with another weave. It gave her mind something to do and helped ease her stress at how abruptly they'd be leaving.

She knew Kyn would do everything he could to make this trip easier on her, but there was only so much you could do when trying to outrun White Cloaks. While she worked on the stains, she rummaged through her knowledge of weaves, searching for a collection of them that might help them on their journey and practicing putting them together quickly. Silence weaves for the horses... she sighed. If there was any chance they could detect her channeling she and Kyn were doomed. She didn't see any other choice, however. It was a chance she'd have to take, praying to the Light with every breath that whoever had Healed Kynwric didn't either suffer for the weaves she was twisting or give them away while they were trying to escape. 

~Loraine

After a couple of hours the door opened again, quietly as Kyn crept in to drop off clothes for Loraine for the journey. They were plain, nondescript farmer's woolens and he had more of the same in hands for himself. He glanced at the bed, expecting to find Loraine asleep, but when he realized she wasn't he straightened and gave her a disapproving look. "You should be resting. It's only another hour to dark." Outside the rain and wind could be heard buffeting the house, interchanging sounds of the rain either just falling or being driven against the planking by a fierce wind. It wasn't weather to be caught out in, if you had a choice. "Seems we've been on this ride before though."

He moved to her bed and set beside her, laying out the garments at the foot of the bed. "The mistress of the house will be along shortly to help you get dressed, she was beside herself when I told her I was going to do it." He shook his head, "Amdacia is not like the Two Rivers, that is for certain. She seemed rather upset by the thought." With a shrug. "I still haven't seen the young woman I mentioned before, although everyone seems to be put out, like someone else should be here. Love, if that girl can channel, and this well she needs to be brought out of this place. We cannot leave her for the Children to find, Questioners or no." He said it as if she should do something about it to make the farm wife tell her where the girl was. 

• 2 weeks later...

Loraine sighed and closed her eyes. "I agree, but I have not seen her in all the time we've been here. I don't feel anyone nearby who can channel, either," she said barely louder than a whisper. "Do we take the chance of endangering these people more by divulging knowledge of what I am in hopes of saving a girl they're actively trying to keep away?" 

She paused, chewing on her bottom lip as she thought about the problem. "I can leave them directions and safe houses, but should that information fall to the White Cloaks..." She looked up at him, "And that's only if these people will listen to reason and do what's best for the girl. They're hiding her, which points more towards trying to keep her away from the Tower than trying to get her some help." 

She paused as the door opened and Adelene bustled through it. There was a rough spun dress over her arm and Loraine smiled warmly at her. "My husband is telling me it's time for us to go home," she said softly, though trying to sound like she was in less pain than she was dealing with. "I regret that we are leaving your hospitality so soon." 

Adelene grunted, but didn't answer, otherwise. Loraine took a deep breath and moved to allow the woman to help her get dressed. She didn't even look at Kyn as she helped Loraine get dressed, pausing to redress the wound in her side and bind it tightly before pulling the dress over her shoulders. As she set about the lacings, Loraine took a deep breath. "Adelene, you know what I am." 

The woman's hands stopped moving. "The time for half-truths and covering up is over. I'm telling you only because I know there's someone here who can channel, and knows enough to have healed my husband. I seek only to help her, and help you keep her alive. The Children will not deal kindly with her and I know you don't want that for her, anyway. I am in no shape to take her with us, but I will offer a compromise and leave you to take it, if you will." 

She turned and wrapped her hands around Adelene's, looking the woman in the eye. "When we are leaving Amadacia, we will pass by a safe house not far from here. If you are willing to save this girl you are hiding, simply leave a book on the table in that house. If you choose to continue trying to hide her, then ignore my pleas and may the Creator have mercy on you all." She pulled away and moved to her saddle bags, which were slung over a chair by the window. She drew a book from the satchel and returned to Adelene, pressing it into her hands. "This book will be our signal to come for the girl. I cannot say how long it will be, but I vow, if I am breathing, I will make it to that house to find your message. The location is on the map in the cover of that book." 

She paused, pinning Adelene with a stare. "You realize I've given you information that could greatly damage my husband and I, and possibly put you at greater risk. I am trusting that you'll do the right thing, Adelene, for no one cares for complete strangers, knowing that they are, the way you have, only to turn them over to someone who would see them tortured and killed for it. Let me return the favor, I beg you." 

The old woman said nothing, merely clutched the book in her hands and backed out of the room. Loraine watched her go, not changing her expression until she'd disappeared into the hallway on the other side. "Well, it's done, I suppose," she said turning back to Kynwric. "Now we just have to pray that wasn't the wrong choice. I'd really like to see my quarters at the Tower again,. Light, I'd rather see the Kilaine estate in Cairhien or our little farm in the Two Rivers, to be honest. Do you think you could arrange that, husband?" 

~Loraine

Kyn smiled and nodded his answer to Loraine as the woman Adelene entered the room. Then he simply sat back and ignored the look he was given by the woman who obviously expected him to leave the room while his wife dressed. He just waited until it was all over and Adelene had left, clutching that book. When Loraine looked at him and mentioned going home Kyn nodded, it was like she had been reading his mind. "The Two Rivers is closest and also the place least likely to find further dangers. At least there we can rest and recover, but I think first we need to make a stop through my parents place. One because it will throw the Children off, two, because it is closer than the Two Rivers and finally because you'll need me to check that bloody house for the next week or two to make sure Adelene does indeed return that book." 

Kyn took a glance out the window and sighed, "Time to go love," he said rising from where he'd been sitting on her bed. He reached a hand down for her and as soon as she was standing he scooped her up in his arms. "No arguing, you'll have enough strain on that wound tonight. You can allow me to prevent as much of that damage as I can."

Loraine gasped as he scooped her up and opened her mouth to argue. She snapped it shut again and sighed. "Sometimes, I hate it when you make sense," she muttered, wrapping her arms around his shoulders to help support her weight in his arms. He carried her down the stairs and into the living area without seeing another person. "Wait," she whispered, turning her head towards the door. "Did you hear that?" 

The clink of armor was unmistakable, though it sounded like it was a few paces off of the front door. She let a curse hiss between her lips and looked back over his shoulder. "Is there another way out of this house? A back door we could sneak through?" 

"How about a hidden tunnel?" came a voice from their left. Loraine turned her head towards it and Adelene stood next to a panel in the wall that she'd opened. "We had it built in to hide the girl," she said quietly, ushering them into it. "Follow the tunnel as far as it goes. You'll come out on the side of a hill about halfway through the back field. I trust you know how far away that is?" She eyed Kynwric a moment, before turning her eyes back to Loraine. "The boys are releasing your horses out the back of the stable, though they'll lead them into that field before they return to the house. I trust you'll keep your word, miss. I will speak to the girl and her father. You must not get them killed first, though. Off with you now," she pushed and Kynwric's shoulders as if the diminuitive woman could move him. The thought made Loraine laugh inwardly. 

"I will keep my word," Loraine answered, reaching a hand for Adelene. "Thank you for your kindness, good lady. It will not be forgotten, either." 

~Loraine

Kyn didn't waste anytime, moving almost as soon as Adelene pushed him towards the tunnel, after a few moments they were moving along the cut out and in a few minutes more Kyn was poking his head out the hidden entrance in a cluster of rocks next to a field Kyn was indeed familiar with. When he didn't immediately see the horses he ducked back into the shelter of the outcropping and gave Loraine a small shake of his head and motioned for her to wait there and then disappeared back into the darkness. 

He could hear horses moving. They were being led, not ridden, and the only question was if it was the Whitecloaks or not. Melding back into the shadow of a tree Kyn saw the outlines of a pair of men leading horses against the light of the Children's torches near the farmhouse. There was the usual yelling and shouting that went along with a raid, but that was several hundred feet away now. When the men with the horses passed him, gave a low whistle, a bird call of a bird that lived a hundred leagues away. One of the men stopped and looked around, the movement wasn't what he had expected of a man raised in these woods. Which meant they were Whitecloaks. 

Loraine leaned against the wall of the tunnel, every sense tuned to the knot in her head that was her warder as she fought to ignore the pain from the wound in her side. The bandage pulled tightly across her ribs and she laid her hand over the wound as if she could hold the bandage in place where it should be. Kyn wasn't very quick to return after he disappeared out of the tunnel and her concern rose. She knew the instant something was wrong and cursed inwardly as she crept towards the mouth of the tunnel, keeping in the shadows. She settled far enough into the tunnel that she could make Kyn's form out, though with the rain cover and clouds covering the moon's light, it wasn't easy. In a pinch, she could hide herself in this tunnel. She prayed it was concealed well enough that Kyn hadn't given away their position with his bird call. 

She held her breath, her fingers reaching for a sword that wasn't there. She cursed anew, having not considered her lack of a physical weapon until now. She'd have no defense except channeling, but she had little doubt she could get past those oaths with the way her heart was thundering her chest. Fear for her life or that or her warders? She looked back up the tunnel at Kynwric's back and shook her head. Check. Not knowing what the danger was, exactly, she didn't dare embrace saidar. She was glad she'd spent time practicing this afternoon, though. 

Her fingers found a vein in the rock behind her and she traced it lightly with her fingernail. The wall of the tunnel had been bricked, so it was obviously a tunnel that was heavily used. The vein under her fingernail, however, wasn't brick. They'd mortared the brick with a mud mixture that was a strange blend of dirt and clay. It would be enough to give her what she needed, should she need to pull the tunnel down, though. It was a weakness, where the bricks were solid. Exploiting a weakness would take less energy than creating a weakness would. She breathed slowly, trying to infuse calmness into the void. The last thing Kyn needed was her raging thoughts in his head. He needed cold reasoning and that's what he'd get from her. She focused on hope, where he sent her caution. 

And then she prayed to the Light they'd make it out of this tunnel alive. "I promise," she whispered into the darkness. "Regardless of the state of his family's home, regardless of what reception we find there, I will not utter a complaint. All I ask is that we see it..." 

~Loraine

Kyn flicked his eyes around when he felt the change in the emotions floating across the bond, apparently she had decided something, he wondered what for a moment before pushing it to the back of his mind, there were other things to focus on  right this moment. Such as the Whitecloaks standing a few yards from him peering into the night. Kyn stood still, trusting the shadows and his cloak to keep him concealed from their eyes. Soon enough they moved on, another few yards and repeated the procedure. Good, he thought, they're just doing a search. Now if those fool boys will just keep their heads down a little while longer. If he'd had his bow he would have just removed this complication, even in the dark he wouldn't have been hard pressed to make the pair of shots he'd have needed. But it was lashed to his saddle, or it had been last he had seen. All he could do was wait and watch as the Whitecloaks continued their careful patrol. 

Half an hour passed before he reemerged from the shadows, the Whitecloaks were out of sight now and he could hear another pair of horses coming their way. This time though there was the nervous, excited chatter of young men accompanying the sound of horses hooves. One of the voices Kyn recognized, it was Adelene's son Jert. Kyn stepped out of the rock outcropping right in front of them and both boys came up short. He hissed at them "Quiet, the Children are stupid not deaf." He looked from Jert to the other boy and sighed, "Hold the horses, I'll be right back." With that he retreated back into the tunnel to fetch his wife.

Loraine felt her strength leaving her after about twenty minutes of holding herself up, but she refused to be anything less than completely prepared for the White Cloaks, should they decide to charge this tunnel from either end. She'd turned her attention to the house end of the tunnel, hoping Adelene would cover their escape through the tunnel and not give them away. Caught between a rock and a hard place, she thought, her lips twitching. Was it blood loss making her think this was funny? 

She felt Kynwric tense and looked back up the tunnel, as if she could see what was making him tense. After a few moments, he relaxed and she let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. He wouldn't have relaxed if it had been another round of White Cloaks. It must be the boys with the horses. Light, send it's the boys and the horses!

She smiled as Kynwric approached her and reached for him, legs trembling with effort. "I trust the Creator sent us a window to escape through?" she asked quietly, nodding her head up the tunnel. "How big do you think the window is?" 

~Loraine

"Adelene has opened the window," Kyn said with a nod, he reached uot to support her as she reached for him. Once he had a hold of her, he quickly scooped her back up in his arms. he could feel how weak she was feeling. "Its a small window, but we should make it. A bit of sneaking followed by a bit of riding like the Dark One is chasing us and we should be away with no Children the wiser." He was carrying Loraine up and out of the tunnel, and he quickly put her astride her horse. He looked to the two boys who were holding the reins of their mounts. "Hand them over boys, I'll lead them from here. Best you be away and stay out of the Children's way til they're gone. It'd be best for you in the long run." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pair of coins, glanced at them and then handed one to each of them. He had made certain they weren't Tar Valon marks, for that would have been too suspicious if found. He took the reins and looked up to Loraine. "Brace yourself wife... this is the beginning of a long night." And he led the pair of horses off away from the boys, the farm and the Whitecloaks. 

Loraine bit off the pain as she tried to find a position that put the least amount of pressure on her wound. Sitting on the back of a moving horse wasn't it, though. She sighed and leaned low, making excuses about the crops hiding her and not making them stand out in the field. She kept her peace, though. Kyn knew she hurt, she didn't have to remind him. It's not like they could stop and fix it, anyway. Not this close to trouble. She tightened her hands on the reins and closed her eyes, swaying with the movement of the horse as  Kyn lead the horses away from the house behind them.The rain and wind continued to attack them, making her wonder if the White Cloaks could suddenly conjure weather weaves. Focusing on the thought lightened her mood and helped her not focus so much on the pain or the fear that coursed through her veins with every heart beat. 

She looked up when Kynwric stopped moving the horses and climbed into his saddle. She looked behind them to see how far they'd come and nodded inwardly. She took a deep breath and channeled a few weaves, burying them into his cloak to ward off the rain and to dry his clothes, and then turning those same weaves on herself. She let them dissolve and eyed him. "How far?" she asked softly as the horses began to move again. He kept them at an inconspicuous pace, at first, which allowed for some conversation. She stopped and looked behind them again and took a deep breath, twisting another weave together and dusting the trail behind them to remove hoof prints. She wished she had time to lay false trails, but with the rain, she doubted they'd survive, anyway. 

Her horse found a rock and the movement jarred her side. She barely bit off the cry of pain before it escaped her lips, her hands clutching the pummel of the saddle as she fought to keep her balance. Please, just let us get to his home before I die or fall out of the saddle...[/i] she prayed.

~Loraine

"Two days, maybe more.." Was his reply to her question. Kyn had his eyes darting this way and that as they rode, trying to make sure they weren't being followed or paced. When the weather worsened and forced him to pull his cowl up over his face to keep himself from being soaked to the bone. It was then Kyn felt the sharp stab and turned to look over at Loraine, then turned his head back to the trail in front of them, there was no point in asking how she felt. He knew she was hurting, and he knew sooner or later she wouldn't be able to go on In turn, he also knew it was time to get them to ground. Loraine needed rest and he needed to backtrack and make sure they were truly away free and clear from the Whitecloaks searching for them. After another hour of travel through the woods and hills he finally gave up on finding a good place and just found the best thing within sight. Which was a large tree with a tangle of roots to shelter them from the worst of the weather. 

He slid from his horse and took the reins to the horse Loraine was on in hand as well. Tying them both to a branch before helping her from the saddle. "Its going to be a wet night I'm afraid." He did the best he could in clearing away the wet leaves so she could get settled in. He took his cloak, the one she'd woven the One Power into earlier to keep dry and also the one woven in the Tower itself to camouflage him in all settings and spread it over where she would be hidden.

Edited by _Kynwric_

Loraine lost track of how long they'd been in the saddle. She'd been focused on staying IN the saddle. She had no care for embarassing herself, most of her fear was doing damage to the stitching in her side should she fall out of the saddle. The rain fell heavier, pounding down on her shoulders and back. She concentrated on  breathing, shifting her hips with the swaying of the horse and losing herself in the motion. Kyn would warn her if she needed to pay more attention to her surroundings. 

She barely noticed the horse when it stopped moving, though she was glad when he pulled her out of the saddle and settled her under the roots. She shivered and laid her head back on the roots behind her. "We've lived a cozy little life these last years, husband. This is the Wheel dealing us the balance to that easy living." She smiled weakly, closing her eyes. She watched as he hid her location and reached a hand for his arm, twisting a weave quickly to transfer energy to him. There wasn't room enough under these branches for them both. She knew she couldn't talk him out of standing watch in the soaking rain, so she did the little she could for him. She twisted her last bit of energy into a weave to try to keep him try, though it was a pretty weak weave. She sank back against the ground and breathed deeply. "I'm sorry I can't do more, love," she whispered.

~Loraine

Kyn smiled down at her, "Its enough, rest. Do not move, no matter what. The cloak will hide you." He leaned down and pressed a kiss to her lips before straightening back up. "I'll be back soon. I have to make sure we're in the clear before we go further." He then left her hidden there under his color shifting cloak, the one she'd given him when they'd returned to the Tower after she'd bonded him and he began to creep back the way they'd just come. 

It was a couple hours later when he returned and found Loraine where he'd put her. It was still a couple hours to daylight and throughout the night the rain had done nothing but get worse. he finally managed to wedge himself in under the impermeable cloak and settled in. he could feel roots and rocks pinching or poking him from all directions, but finally he got himself situated so that they could at least both be dry and warm the remainder of the night and possibly get some sleep.

Loraine closed her eyes as he disappeared, though she didn't let herself fall asleep. She tuned her senses to the world around her, wishing the rain wasn't making it more difficult to hear. It only made her feel better to think that if she was having this much trouble, so were the White Cloaks. She kept a constant vigil on the knot of emotions in her head that was her warder, praying his emotions remained the cautious bundle that it had been since he'd disappeared. She felt him returning and those emotions hadn't changed. She refused to relax enough to sleep until he was back within her sight, though. She smiled as he entered their makeshift tent and got settled. She could feel his discomfort and she tried to mask her own. She'd been so focused on what was outside her little hiding place that she'd managed to ignore the uncomfortable knot of roots, rocks and dirt she was resting on. She sighed as he relaxed and closed her eyes, willing herself to get some sleep. They had a long journey to get where they needed to be and her injury wouldn't make that trip any easier. Her nagging worry that the journal wouldn't make it back to the Tower was pushed to the back of her mind. She'd done the best she could for that book and there wasn't more she could do from here. She finally managed to drift off to sleep, though it was far from a healing deep slumber. There'd be time enough for that later, provided they didn't die on the way to Kynwric's farm...

~Loraine