DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fain showing a new ability/power

rd2000

In WH, chapter Blue Carp Street, we have Rand "springing" the trap by taking Lan with him to kill Gedwyn and Torval. They saw two blackened dead bodies when they entered from the roof and Rand knew that Fain had lured him there and killed Gedwyn and Torval already himself. Now let me quote from the books.

"I want him to know who is killing him," Fain whined petulantly. He was glaring straight at Rand, but he seemed to talking to himself. "I want him know! But if he's dead, then he will stop haunting my dreams. Yes, he will stop, then." With a smile, he raised his free hand.

Torval and Gedwyn came up the stairs with their cloaks over their arms.

"I say we aren't going near him until I know where the others are," Gedwyn growled. "The M'Hael will kill us if....."

Without thought, Rand twisted his wrists in Cutting the Wind and immediately followed with Unfolding the Fan.

The illusion of dead men come back to life vanished and Fain leaped back with a shriek, blood streaming down the side of his face.

Fain can apparently create illusions at will.

I believe this has been debated before. We were not sure if this was just an early occurence of ghosts or something done by Fain. I cannot find references but it could go either way.

If it is an illusion created by Fain, it is not really a "new" power. Fain did something similar in tGH trying to trap Rand in an illusion at a farmhouse. Rand broke free by channeling. Not sure why we have not seen Fain try anything similar for a while.

Archived