DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which character has been missing in action the longest?

Mr Hindley

On another topic, about meetings people would like to see, I saw mentions of characters like Uno, Daerid and Breane. With Uno and Breane, I had to stop to try and remind myself where they had probably ended up, and with Daerid, I can't even really remember who he is, although I recognise the name..!

In terms of numbers of books, I wonder which character(s) have been 'missing in (in)action' for longest i.e. not dead or deliberately concealed from the reader, but just absent even though the books visited the territory they were in, and probably just got left out due to lack of available screen time?

As for as main or semi-main characters go, I think Loial's last on screen appearance was KOD. There was the snippet at the beginning of TOM, but I wouldn't consider that 'on-screen,' reminded me of all the prophecy bits that usually accompany the beginning of a book.

For minor characters...I feel that CoT was the last we've seen of a good deal of them, but I can't think of any names right now.

Actually, it's odd that we haven't seen Daerid in ToM. Does he rank equally to Talmanes?

I thought he was third in command and Talmanes second (under Mat) and I was thinking the same thing.

He and Talmanes are both Lieutenant Generals, as per Mat in KoD.

Daerid was mentioned twice in TGS, but those times may well have been snippets of Jordan's that got worked in. The first one almost certainly was. Since then, he's fallen off the face of the earth. Estean's only been mentioned one time other than the same two places Daerid was in TGS, that being in The Seven Striped Lass to say that the band joined together again. Juilin went from a major secondary character to someone that's left out completely if you don't get the widescreen edition. /sigh

As for the original topic, off the top of my head:

Floran Gelb hasn't been around since TSR

Else Grinwell hasn't been seen since TDR

The Lady Amalisa hasn't been seen since TGH

Talaan and Merilille haven't been seen since CoT

Urien hasn't been on screen since Dumai's Wells

95% of the named Maidens of the Spear have disappeared recently apparently

Rianna, Jiane, and Berylla (of Liandrin's 13 BA) haven't been around since Moghedien sent them someplace to do something in TFoH (I did have to look up those names, lol)

Some people I'd love to see (excluding those I believe will definitely be in AMoL like Logain):

- Kiruna Sedai

- Ogier stone masons rebuilding Rhuidean

- Windfinder that Mat freed in the Tarasin Palace to ignite the "Great Escape."

People whom I hope continue to be MIA:

- Valan Luca

When was the last time we saw Bela? Suiane had her with the Rebel AS, but is she still there? Suiane rode her after they left Salidar, but has she made an appearance once they beseiged the WT?

Egwene rides Bela at the end of CoT just before she was captured. Siuan rode Bela on the way to rescue Egwene during the Seanchan raid on the WT (to the boats I guess). After that I don't think there's any mention of her. They used a gateway to leave TV.

When was the last time we saw Bela? Suiane had her with the Rebel AS, but is she still there? Suiane rode her after they left Salidar, but has she made an appearance once they beseiged the WT?

Egwene rides Bela at the end of CoT just before she was captured. Siuan rode Bela on the way to rescue Egwene during the Seanchan raid on the WT (to the boats I guess). After that I don't think there's any mention of her. They used a gateway to leave TV.

This proves that Bela is clearly Demandred.

Re-reading the series again, and I had forgotten how big a role Liandrin had early on, at least compared to later. She seems to have really fallen off the map, and I don't think she ever had any type of resolution to her story arc.

Didn't Liandrin end up as one of those barely clad servants in the Ebou Dari court (post Seanchan)? She was permanently shielded by Moghedien in Altara in SR or FoH

Min visons Else Grinwell marrying a Tar Valon guard about the same time Lanfear masquerades as her to send the girls to Tear. It's how they know it's a trap.

Logain's absence is noted in ToM frequently... As is Alanna's

Is the Lady Amalissa in the Borderlands army camp at all?

Talaan wanted to be Aes Sedai did she not? And fled Caemlyn/Cairhien to do so.

I've never paid much attention to the Aes Sedai, or the number of Maidens named. There's just so many, though the maidens do occasionally die in battle

I've never paid much attention to the Aes Sedai, or the number of Maidens named. There's just so many, though the maidens do occasionally die in battle

Sadly, it's pretty obvious you're not the only one.

@Durinax- I think that was Falion

That kind of reminds me, the guardswomen Elayne had with her (and their nifty armor) from WH through KoD kind of disappear from the story too.

Archived