DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Book in WoT?

joeron bigelow

Very hard to choose. So many good things happen with different people in different books.

If there was a book where Egwene and Faile both died in a duel with each other and Morgase died from trying to break it up......That would be my favorite!

Top will always be TSR. TFoH and LoC are next, then TGH, TEotW, TDR, ACoS, and KoD all at kind of equal footing, then WH, then TPoD, then CoT.

After reading ToM the first time, I had it in my top 5, like 5th I think. After I reread it, I had it in my bottom 2, along with TGS. A few really great scenes just can't carry it IMO. The re-reads pretty much suck completely for those two.

Rankings for me tend to change but they currently stand at...

1. TSR 1. KoD

2. TFoH 2. TSR

3. LoC 3. LoC

4. KoD .4.ACoS

5. TDR 5. TFoH

6. EotW 6. COT I don't mind the boring scenes :)

7. TGH 7. TDR

8. TPoD 8. TGH

9. ACoS 9. WH

10. WH 10.TGS

11. TGS 11..EotW

12. CoT 12.TOM

13. ToM 13. PoD

It's so hard to choose! Sometimes I only follow a few characters in a book in my re-reads and skip past the characters I don't like :dry:

The list isn't really that indicative, it feels like the ones at the bottom are crap, but that isn't necessarily the case, so I will put a rating out of 10 beside each one to make it clearer.

1. tFoH - 10 (So much good in this book. Moiraine was best though, and the Rhavin battle was actually awesome.)

2. tSR - 10 ( Aiel, Two Rivers, Tanchico... good stuff all round. Best of all FINNS!!)

3. EotW - 9.5 ( Good first book, what makes it one of my favourites is the fact there is foreshadowing basically every paragraph)

4. LoC - 9.5 ( The new developments made it good. Black Tower, Healing Severing, New Amyrlin. The Kidnapping finished it well)

5. WH - 9 ( I don't know why people don't like it. Good stuff in Far Madding. Elayne/Rand was good, Mat was good, Perrin even had his moments.)

6. tGH - 9 ( Obvious reasons. Falme is one of the best in the series. More epic stuff happening. The constant whining made it a little below the others)

7. KoD - 9 (Good pace, good developments. It was the first book that made Tarmon Gaidon close.)

8. tDR - 8.5 ( I think tDR is always underrated, but the lack of Rand puts it below the others)

9.aCoS - 8.5 ( Good Mat in Ebou Dar. Good Cadsuane, rebels and Sammael. Nice we see Asha'man finally. Damer, Jahr, Eben, Corlan)

10. tPoD - 8 ( Seanchan campaign and Rand made it a good book rather than just ordinary. Love A Cup of Sleep.)

11. CoT - 7.5 ( Yes, I enjoyed it. The lack of pace didn't bother me much. The setup and foreshadowing makes up for it, and Mat arc was priceless)

12. tGS - 7 ( Epic events that I enjoyed, but the lack of depth and foreshadowing makes re-reads less enjoyable.)

13. ToM - 7 ( Again, good pieces in there, but mistakes and lack of depth/foreshadowing make it less enjoyable upon re-reading)

I tend to put them in tiers, it being so hard to differentiate between some of them.

TSR/TGH/TFOH/TGS

LOC/TEOTW/TDR

ACOS/ToM/WH

KoD (for some reason I just can never remember much of what happens in this book.)

CoT

TPOD

Ranking anything at the bottom just feels wrong.

Wow, I didn't know others thought the same way as I did!

My favorite is book 3 The Dragon Reborn. Now I love the story in this series, do not get me wrong about that, but I love the setting more, I have spend who know how many hours playing RPG set in the WoT world and book 3 just have the most setting information and world building. Allot of how the Aes Sedai works are presented in that book and other elements of the setting as well. I also sort of like it because it is before the world start to change allot, I enjoy the story definitely, but I enjoy reading about just how this setting is before the end times plot really comes into effect and the world drastically changes every book. The Dragon Reborn just give me a feeling of this ancient world which have mostly been at the same level, minus a few wars here and there for three thousand years, a stagnant but beautiful world and that is why I like that book the best.

1. TGS, because Rand's story was awesome, and VoG is my favorite scene in the entire series.

2. TDR. The showdown in Tear was the best battle scene in the series. Rand vs. Ba'alzamon and the big reveal about Balzy. I also liked Perrin and Faile, believe it or not.

3. TEOTW. I liked the adventure in this book, and Ba'alzamon.

4. TGH. The first 3 books were my favorites, I loved all Rand vs. Balzy battles.

5. TOM. Mat and Perrin were awesome, and I liked the new Rand. Epilogue was one of the best scenes.

6. TSR

7. WH.

8. TFOH

9. ACOS

10. LOC

11. KOD

12. TPOD

13. COT

Honestly, after the third(maybe fourth) book, I forget what happens in what book. Up to leaving the waste, it is pretty linear timewise, so i can split it up based on the EotW, Falme, and the Stone, but after that its just one story to me. I know my favorite parts are the last book Jordan wrote and the chase to Falme.

On my reread, I paid specific attention to CoT, which many people were saying is the "worst book," and I didnt really find anything wrong with it. It really couldn't tell what people had problems with.

The writing frequently alternates between painfully slow and epic, so it feels odd to choose an entire book when part of it might have been amazing and far too much of it feeling like filler. The Cleansing at the end of Winter's Heart, for example, is one of my favorite scenes, but I didn't like most of the rest of the book all that much. Overall though, I'd have to say The Great Hunt, The Shadow Rising, The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight in no particular order. The last two were faster paced and had a lot of pay off, but there was so much good storytelling in TGH and TSR that I have to put them up at the top as well.

Archived