DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Ogier

Guest Scarlet

Guest Scarlet

Hi Everyone,

Lots of good discussions going on about aMoL but one thing I have noticed that has been missing is anything concerning the Ogier. Does anyone else find it odd that we have not heard anything about the Ogier in quite some time? Did they open the book and leave?

They are still having the Great Stump. Loial is going to speak there, remember? His mother is all for leaving and that's what they are going to decide. I believe (and hope) they are going to stay and fight with humanity. I think meeting some the Seanchan Ogier will sway them too.

Guest Garibaldi

If they decide to open the Book of Translation, would that mean ALL the ogier be translated including the Gardners, and any other unknown ogier groups. I doubt that just the Randland ogiers would be affected. That would be a shock to the Seanchan, they might consider that an attack by either The DR or the WT. That would complicate things immensely. I doubt they open it, but it would be interesting.

Yeah, I feel the Ogier have been kind of forgotten as the series moved along. Although I anticipate them being in the LB, probably coming in the nick of time followed by a scene between Rand and Loial, I would love it if they did leave, and the reader finds out via Mat. Walking along in Seanchan controlled territory, sees some Seanchan Ogier, and then BAM! Ogier disapears. Mat's confused, but longtime readers will know what happened.

Plus could have some fun implications in Seanchan controlled lands as well.

The Ogier will definitely play their role in the LB. ToM starts very memorably - with a quote from Loyal's book-to-be. I think there is no doubt that the Ogier will be convinced not to open the book of Translation, because of Loyal's speech. And because the Tinkers need a suitable ending as well, my theory is that Ogier and Tinker will find the song together and fight in the LB by driving away the Blight and the evil of the DO, making things grow and preserving Life in general.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I think the Ogier will be vital to the last battle. Consider:

1. Its been well established in the later books that Matt and Perrin find the things they need, even if they don't know why, or even that they need them.

2. Loial got stuck in Caemlyn just in time for Rand to meet him there and offer him (Loial) a way out, and, incidentally, Loial offers them a shortcut to the borderlands.

3. It was traveling with Rand that alter Loial's perception of the world and the Ogier's place in it, which in turn leads him to the Great Stump to argue for staying.

4. Loial's passage at the beginning of TOM makes it clear that he is the last speaker, and that most had made up their mind to leave. So they stay, its going to be a result of Loial's speech.

The conclusion is that it was Loial's getting stuck in Caemlyn right when Rand et. al. came through that leads to the Ogier staying. Since there are no co-incidences with Ta'veren, I think we can conclude that the Ogier staying (assuming they do) is important.

Archived