DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was RJ's plan for Graendal?

Mr Hindley

Dreamspike sounds like a Brandon-word, though. I suspect Jordan would have given it an Old Tongue name. The origins of the idea for a dreamspike certainly seem to have roots in Jordan's plan, though, and even if the use with Perrin was Brandon's doing, it seems to be a perfect fit for how its being used at the Black Tower. Anyway, I don't feel that Graendal's fall from grace was Brandon's creation. The how of it may be, or at least the more specific aspects of it. A Slayer/Perrin confrontation did seem appropriate, however.

Jordan may not have worked out all the details of her plot line. Brandon has said that a number of RJ's notes where "And this person ends up here" without Jordan explaining why, or with a few notes on different possible ways he could execute the plan.

This is all it is really. It's like when we read the Slayer POV and all the names roll off the tongue. I hate hate hate Brandon's naming. Dreamshard, Balescream, Dreamspike. I'm sure they'd all have an appropriate name. All 3 are things that can definitely exist in this universe, it's just the names sound so juvenile.

I actually don't mind balescream, but I do get your point.

It's like if RJ named T'A'R Dreamworld in the beginning or something.

That's exactly what Tel'aran'rhiod means - The World of Dreams. Jordan just made up a language so it could sound cool.

It might have been nice if Sanderson went to the same effort, but it isn't that big a deal to me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dreamspike sounds like a Brandon-word, though. I suspect Jordan would have given it an Old Tongue name. The origins of the idea for a dreamspike certainly seem to have roots in Jordan's plan, though, and even if the use with Perrin was Brandon's doing, it seems to be a perfect fit for how its being used at the Black Tower. Anyway, I don't feel that Graendal's fall from grace was Brandon's creation. The how of it may be, or at least the more specific aspects of it. A Slayer/Perrin confrontation did seem appropriate, however.

Jordan may not have worked out all the details of her plot line. Brandon has said that a number of RJ's notes where "And this person ends up here" without Jordan explaining why, or with a few notes on different possible ways he could execute the plan.

This is all it is really. It's like when we read the Slayer POV and all the names roll off the tongue. I hate hate hate Brandon's naming. Dreamshard, Balescream, Dreamspike. I'm sure they'd all have an appropriate name. All 3 are things that can definitely exist in this universe, it's just the names sound so juvenile.

I actually don't mind balescream, but I do get your point.

It's like if RJ named T'A'R Dreamworld in the beginning or something.

That's exactly what Tel'aran'rhiod means - The World of Dreams. Jordan just made up a language so it could sound cool.

It might have been nice if Sanderson went to the same effort, but it isn't that big a deal to me.

That was my point. I know what TAR means. :)

I do admit that dreamshard and dreamspike kind of stuck out to me, but RJ did use a similar structure.

balefire

stasis box

shocklance

darkfriend

shadowspawn

dreadlord

dreamwalk(er)/(ing)

gray man

halfman

heartstone

glo-bulb

oath rod

wolfbrother

shadowrunners

shadowbrothers

darkhounds

I don't know if that's all of them. Not all of them are unique to WoT. And I'm not saying all terms are equal here. But RJ did use that type of structure. Though there's more to choosing terms than structure.

Archived