DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question about AMOL release date?

A Trite Pun

Hey so I have absolutely no knowledge of how publishing works, and I don't know what WOT higher-ups have said, but all of the early releases (prologue, Ch 1, Ch 11) have come very early. Also, doesn't it make sense to release the books in time for the holidays? Does anybody know if we're heading for a move-up in the release date of AMOL? What do you guys think?

I am certainly hopeful but I would defer to a more knowledgeable source in terms of the logistics. Several things point in that direction, though, given the expected release date. First, the prologue was released early (for an unrelated reason, but still earlier than anticipated). Lastly, Jason's review was done quite early. By comparison, he reviewed ToM on 9/26/10 when Tor released ToM on 11/2/10. Initially, I read the early review as a way of getting ahead of increasing negative fan reaction but now I think it may indicate an earlier than expected release.

Now, I remember reading that the reason the release date was after the holiday season had a lot to do with two factors: 1. perfecting the manuscript and 2. shelf-space allocations in traditional bookstores (something about needing to have the book completed by September in order to gain that shelf-space.) The former problem seems moot at this point. The latter problem would remain.

Look at it this way: the books can't arrive to stores after the last third of October if Tor plans to profit from holiday sales. So, if we don't hear about chapter 2 by Oct 10 I don't think we're in for an early release.

However, the time of release for the first chapter does suggest some surprise in the near future, although that might simply be another publicity event.

The final draft has been done for some time now, but after the number of continuity errors and perceived problems with Towers of Midnight, Jordan's wife and editor Harriet wanted a longer period for editing. But with the writing done it's easy enough to polish a few chapters for release.

First, the prologue was released early (for an unrelated reason, but still earlier than anticipated).

You're welcome. :wink:

What was really a big surprise to me was how early Chapt 1 was released. I didn't expect anything until mid-Oct, at least a week or so after the original prologue release date.

Either we will have a very long wait until Chapt 2 (audiobook?) or we will get more than just 1 more chapter before release date.

Books are simply not released in December. If they are, they tend to get buried under a ton of gift books and renewed sales for the year's biggest sellers. They either come out in the pre-Christmas period (basically September-November) or then in January, to take advantage of Christmas money/gift cards and New Year sales. Once it was decided AMoL could not come out by late November at the latest, it would automatically fall back to January instead.

And it will not come forwards this late in the day.

Even if the release date doesn't move I feel that at least 2 more chapters are likely to be released, given the timings of the chapter 1 release.

My guess would be chapter 2 or (chapter 11 spoiler)

Whichever chapter has Mat's arrival at the FoM is in thus showing him being sent off to Ebu Dar

And the rest of chapter 11.

Peter from whom might be a better indicator to if it matters. maybe the prologue still beat sales expectations even with the snafu. if so maybe tor said, who cares what is typical... AMOL is not a typical book, as in we all know it is coming if your a fan and you will buy it whenever it comes out.

if so maybe tor said, who cares what is typical... AMOL is not a typical book, as in we all know it is coming if your a fan and you will buy it whenever it comes out.

That isn't how the publishing industry works, Tor would never do that.

Possibly I can hope! Whats wrong with them finally deciding in a new model?

I fully expect the chapter where Demandred's identity is revealed, the chapter where Moiraine and Rand are finally reunited, the chapter where Mat and Tuon are reunited, the chapter where Rand breaks the Seals, the chapter where Rand finds out Mat is married to Tuon, the chapter where Logain gets his glory, the 50,000 word chapter written by RJ and the last chapter all to be likely released pretty darn soon.

Fish

I fully expect the chapter where Demandred's identity is revealed, the chapter where Moiraine and Rand are finally reunited, the chapter where Mat and Tuon are reunited, the chapter where Rand breaks the Seals, the chapter where Rand finds out Mat is married to Tuon, the chapter where Logain gets his glory, the 50,000 word chapter written by RJ and the last chapter all to be likely released pretty darn soon.

Damn it Fish, we said keep it under wraps for now!

But that does beg the question, are they going to release pages for the next two weeks? are they going to slow the pace down? why start so early? and why the review so early posted on tor? they allready have a shoe in for a large selling..... I do hold onto false hope, as either someone at Tor is incredibly stupid, or they really are going to release early. mtc.

But that does beg the question, are they going to release pages for the next two weeks? are they going to slow the pace down? why start so early? and why the review so early posted on tor? they allready have a shoe in for a large selling..... I do hold onto false hope, as either someone at Tor is incredibly stupid, or they really are going to release early. mtc.

You have to understand that all the people looking at this early release material represents and a small fraction of the fan base. A fair portion of people buying the book will not realize it is out until they see it in the stores. As Wert mentioned above there is a very specific way they go about these things(Peter's post serves to reinforce this).

I dont care about previews or readings or any of that. I am not usually the one to wish bad luck to people, but I want another screw up from ebook publishers. this time distributing it 3 months ahead of schedule........

3months would be pretty damn sweet. I'm not a fan of 900pg hardcover. Sigh.

Archived