DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's solution to win TG

Guest Last Hunter

Guest Last Hunter

Hello everyone,

1st post here.

I'd like to share my theory that has been hovering in my mind since a couple years.

Rand will sacrifice the One Power. No more Saidar and saidin.

How? No idea.

But it makes sense to me. Our world has no magic. And this final book will want to make a powerful link between Earth And Randland. Best way would be to wipe out magic. And ogier leaving...

The logic would be something around these basics:

The DO is a magic entity (True Power)

To get rid of him permanently, you'd have to get rid of the one power permanently.

What do you think???

from the visions the power isn't lost at least immediately after the last battle, but with the rise of technology in the visions you see the seanchan even no longer used channelers. Maybe they just found them no longer usefull with these new weapons they have but whatever it is there is no longer any hint of channeling.

The OP cannot be destroyed or sacrificed, the Pattern would cease to exist, I believe. The TS is the driving force of the Wheel, it kinda HAS to exist.

The disappearance of the OP from humans is a possible theory, although I don't like it.

It would render almost half of the story basically pointless. The Seanchan, the White and Black Towers, Sea Folk, Wise Ones, Kin. Not to mention that 3/4 of the main characters would probably die a horribly depressing death after a few years.

Welcome to the forums! Hope you have a good time here.

from the visions the power isn't lost at least immediately after the last battle, but with the rise of technology in the visions you see the seanchan even no longer used channelers. Maybe they just found them no longer usefull with these new weapons they have but whatever it is there is no longer any hint of channeling.

In Avi's visions of the future, the first several lives (the fartherest in the future) there seemed to be little or I think NO mention of channelers or of anyone having the ability. The last one that made mentions the One Power, was where the person was (shamefully) wishing that she had the ability, but it does not say if anyone else has the ability. (I do not have the book on me, so I am just going by memory (not a good option), so I could be wrong, but in the vision of Avi's we may be seeing the loss of ability. Has anyone ever anaylysed/discussed this aspect of her vision?

nope, earth is like the 6th or 7th age. It is implied that a nuclear apocalypse is the cause of the end of "our" age.

No evidence of that at all in the books. On the other hand, we are told that the image showing giraffes (extinct in Rand's time), the Mercedes-Benz hood ornmanet and the tales of the Soyuz and Apollo space missions and the Cold War all come from the 'age before the Age of Legends'. So our age is definitely the First Age. There's four full ages between the Last Battle and the return of our age and the loss of channelling strikes me as a larger-than-usual cataclysm, one which might cause the extinction of humanity and the resetting of the Wheel.

nope, earth is like the 6th or 7th age. It is implied that a nuclear apocalypse is the cause of the end of "our" age.

No evidence of that at all in the books. On the other hand, we are told that the image showing giraffes (extinct in Rand's time), the Mercedes-Benz hood ornmanet and the tales of the Soyuz and Apollo space missions and the Cold War all come from the 'age before the Age of Legends'. So our age is definitely the First Age. There's four full ages between the Last Battle and the return of our age and the loss of channelling strikes me as a larger-than-usual cataclysm, one which might cause the extinction of humanity and the resetting of the Wheel.

"Did Mosk and Merk really fight with spears of fire, and were they even giants?"

I'm sure this is what is making him think that; you could imply it from the passage,

You mean I was right? Hooray! Nice avatar by the way.

My best guess is that whatever Lanfear and Beidomon did in Floating Globe Laboratories Inc., way back in the Age of Legends, created a lingering effect that keeps the Bore open like a metal coil, an effect that Rand needs to identify and remove, allowing the Pattern to snap shut right in the Dark One's face. That is, if he goes for resealing the Bore the way he is supposed to, instead of destroying the Dark One like he wants.

It is implied that there are ages where nobody can channel the One Power, but it still exists, turning the Wheel.

Yeah, the age where portal stone came from, for example. That's ages 6 and 7 or so, channelling rediscovered in 1, perfected 2 and we are now in 3, so forgetting channelling is not for another few. And that's what it was called, iirc, 'forgetting' not swapping it for a DO. Plus the rediscovery is not linked to the DO presence so you'd imagine that to get rid of him it's not necessary to get rid of the power. In short I would sincerely doubt this and if it comes to pass I'd be disappointed. But it's a good theory none the less, just not for me.

In avi's vision channeling was dying out specifically because of the seanchan - they were collaring everyone and then making sure the leaseholders were gotten rid of as well

This is a future where seanchan don't change their mistrust of channeling and even get worse about it

All if that seems dependent on tuon dying early

My guess is we see tuon forced to channel and that changes things forever

Archived