DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Do I have the basic essance of the Dragon's Master Plan?

The Fisher King

Essentially.

Rand Nynaeve Moiraine go in patch things up.

I suspect there will be some last minute revelation/ accident/ appearance of something that is perfect for the job that will make the job better.

Ha, I would love to see Rand and co. decide that there was no better plan to seal the bore than the one before.

"So... Egwene, you guys come up with anything good?"

"Nah, sorry Rand. The 13th didn't have much about that. It says you will do it though, just not how."

"Oh... Well, that sucks. We haven't got anything either. I did have this other plan.... But.... Moridin laughed at me and called me a fool."

"Who did what? Nynaeve called you a woolhead?"

"Never mind... So anyway, we don't have much time, best just to stick with what I did last time eh? At least it gives people another 3000 years to think."

"Hmmm... I suppose so, it is the only way. Are you sure though? I mean, you just cleansed the taint?"

"Yeah.... about that.... it was pretty rough on me last time. Kinslayer and all that. You guys are gonna have to take the fall this time, Egwene."

".........."

To clarify, I don't think it will be a big suprise/revelation for the reader, just to Rand and co.

It will be something the fans have already figured out (as Brandon has said it has been deduced), just something that Rand and co. did not plan for.

Like Fain acting as the buffer against the DO. Rand won't include this in his plans.

Something like that.

"Yeah.... about that.... it was pretty rough on me last time. Kinslayer and all that. You guys are gonna have to take the fall this time, Egwene."

".........."

HAHAHA, awesome.

That said you got me thinking, most people still don't know that Ishamael and Lanfear are still around and kicking do they? I can just imagine Rand breaking the news to Egwene:

"Hey Egwene, you know that woman who tortured you real bad? Yeah she's still alive. And the dude who nearly killed me three times? Him too."

"But... I thought they died !!!"

"Yeah... Yeah they did... Not good enough though. Lord of the Grave and all that. Balefire is the only way."

"Balefire! That's dangerous! But easy enough I suppose...."

"About that...."

"Ugh. Not again..."

"Yeah... Don't use it too much... It could unravel the pattern completely."

"Ha! You're one to talk. What about Natrin's Burrow."

"Hey... I was pissed off. Graendal deserved it..."

"Oh yeah... About Graendal...."

"But... I thought they died !!!"

"Yeah... Yeah they did... Not good enough though. Lord of the Grave and all that. Balefire is the only way."

"Balefire! That's dangerous! But easy enough I suppose...."

"About that...."

"Ugh. Not again..."

"Yeah... Don't use it too much... It could unravel the pattern completely."

"Ha! You're one to talk. What about Natrin's Burrow."

"Hey... I was pissed off. Graendal deserved it..."

"Oh yeah... About Graendal...."

"What about Aginor"

"Are you serious? Even the DO wouldn't want him"

Remove/destroy the remaining Seals on Mr Shaitan's prison, have a few high-powered backups (like Nyneave, Cadsuane Sedai etc) at his side (plus Callandor) in case The Shepherd of the Night comes out, and hopes to quickly have a new and improved way of resealing the Bore?

Fish

Why yes, Rand traveled via Portal Stone to OUR current reality, stopped off at Home Depot, and got some cement. Because cuendillar is actually cement, you see. Kaf for coffee; tomat for tomato; things in our world with a little twist from the author end up in theirs..so..who says cement cant be what they call cuendillar? No, this was not quite a serious post; it was brought to you by the dubious qualities of way too much caffeine. Hope it was enjoyed and gave smiles to all who read it.

Also maybe the reason things went extra bad is the seals were made to fix both saidin and saidar

Per RJ it was a "lucky thing" saidar was not involved or that side would have been tainted as well. The plan was flawed for all that it was necessary.

...which makes it all the more ironic that Rand is so convinced that both are needed this time.

Fish

That is not exactly the extent of it.

Rand is correct.

The faults were twofold last time.

1. The Seals were imperfect, and the DO broke free without human help.

2. Saidin was tainted.

The first was because Saidar was not used, that the Seals were weak, in part, because it was not achieved via linking and the use of Saidin and Saidar.

INTERVIEW: Mar, 2000

Letter to Paul Ward (Verbatim)

PAUL WARD

Possible question: How did the Hundred Companions link to make the seals on the Dark One's prison?

ROBERT JORDAN

They did not do it linked. They worked together individually, which made it more difficult, and that is part of the reason the seals have weakened so quickly. I never meant to imply linking. It is possible for large numbers to do a large project without linking, although it is more easily done in a circle.

The second is because there was no buffer used against the DO. They touched the DO with Saidin. If they had used the same method, it would have also touched Saidar and tainted it as well.

The problem is finding a buffer, not that saidar shouldn't be used.

I'm thinking that Callandor's buffer is reversed. The connection to the OP from the DO must have been through the 100 companions; their weaves touched the DO and that backlash went through their weaves and through them to the Source. My guess is Callandor's buffer is reversed so that the one drawing on the power has no buffer but if power were to backlash it would be stopped.

then again, this could just be a cockamamie idea.

Calandors flaw must somehow be involved in it. They said it does more than just not buffer you, it leaves you vulnerable. Far back in the books they said it magnifies the taint. Anyway what about if Calandor is used to absorb the taint from the dark one into Rand himself to somehow protect the source. Then he must die to get rid of that.

Also maybe the reason things went extra bad is the seals were made to fix both saidin and saidar

Per RJ it was a "lucky thing" saidar was not involved or that side would have been tainted as well. The plan was flawed for all that it was necessary.

...which makes it all the more ironic that Rand is so convinced that both are needed this time.

Fish

That is not exactly the extent of it.

Rand is correct.

The faults were twofold last time.

1. The Seals were imperfect, and the DO broke free without human help.

2. Saidin was tainted.

The first was because Saidar was not used, that the Seals were weak, in part, because it was not achieved via linking and the use of Saidin and Saidar.

INTERVIEW: Mar, 2000

Letter to Paul Ward (Verbatim)

PAUL WARD

Possible question: How did the Hundred Companions link to make the seals on the Dark One's prison?

ROBERT JORDAN

They did not do it linked. They worked together individually, which made it more difficult, and that is part of the reason the seals have weakened so quickly. I never meant to imply linking. It is possible for large numbers to do a large project without linking, although it is more easily done in a circle.

The second is because there was no buffer used against the DO. They touched the DO with Saidin. If they had used the same method, it would have also touched Saidar and tainted it as well.

The problem is finding a buffer, not that saidar shouldn't be used.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that Fain will be the buffer. It makes perfect sense given Rand's never-healing wounds/his method of cleansing saidin. I think Fain will prevent a counter-stroke by the Dark One on saidin and saidar. One problem I have with this theory, though, is that Fain is a wildcard in the current age. Lanfear and Beidomon detected a thinness in the Pattern but this simply means that the Dark One's prison was made whole in another age without someone like Fain. In other words, re-creating the Dark One's prison or patching it is possible without Fain.

Im starting to think unweaving has more to do with this story. After all we did have a chapter named after it, and Moridin completely tripping over the fact they were able to do it. Seems to match with RJs method of foreshadowing, and it gives Avi some more relevance as Rands third woman. She hasnt really done anything to help him since book 5.

I said so before, but Rand's mindset reminds me a lot of Jack Shephard in the last episode of Lost. That is, "I didn't get all of the answers I was looking for, and those I did get only confused me more, but the time is here and someone has to step up. I'm going in, nice to know y'all". Hey, worked well enough for Jack, I guess.

Here's to hoping we get a better ending, though :tongue:

Archived