DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

which Norse God is Rand ?

elric

Tyr puts his hand in Fenrir's mouth to help trick him/imprison him, and has it bitten off. Rand is trying to make a deal with the Seanchan, uniting Randland in order to face TG, keep DO imprisoned, and has his hand burned off by arguably the most monstrous character in the books.

So, I'd go with Tyr. (Tyr is god of Justice and Heroic Glory, among other things. As of TGS, Rand and Justice are connected, and as of ToM and Malden, Rand and Heroic Glory go together pretty well.)

Dang it, thisguy beat me to it! :)

Tyr puts his hand in Fenrir's mouth to help trick him/imprison him, and has it bitten off. Rand is trying to make a deal with the Seanchan, uniting Randland in order to face TG, keep DO imprisoned, and has his hand burned off by arguably the most monstrous character in the books.

So, I'd go with Tyr. (Tyr is god of Justice and Heroic Glory, among other things. As of TGS, Rand and Justice are connected, and as of ToM and Malden, Rand and Heroic Glory go together pretty well.)

Dang it, thisguy beat me to it! :)

Yes, but the two minutes it took you to explain it more than makes up for being beaten.

Tyr has 7 swords - Rand has 5

well... if we talk about 7 physical weapon's Rand has used...

1) Tam's

2) Power-wrought

3) Callandor

4) Laman's

5) Justice

6) Choedan' Kal ???

7) Lil'man Angreal ???

I never thought about that - the two non-sword terangreal as the other 2. Although, didn't the little man carry a sword. Good thinking. Good eye. Thank you, Heronz.

Yes, it's Hawkwing's sword, Elric. In the beginning of TGS, Rand's wearing it and says it was a gift. I don't think they go much further into it, though.

missed him wearing Justice , need to reread TGS :)

btw i found it interesting that Rand s Tyr while Perrin and Mat are Thor and Odin.

Odin is the ALL-FATHER the head of the Pantheon and Thor is the main hero of the pantheon.

my pet theory is the Rand+Mat+Perin are all diffent aspect of the dragon and the true dragon is the 3 of them combine (min viewing of rand :ight streanthening and beeing able to hold against the drakness when Perin was near him support this IMO), could it be that Rand aint the most importent Aspect ?

could Perrin be the true hero -> fighting the DO in the dream ?

maybe Mat spear can do a LOT more then we suspect ?

unless ofc Tyr is is more importent god then Thor or Odin

btw i found it interesting that Rand s Tyr while Perrin and Mat are Thor and Odin.

Odin is the ALL-FATHER the head of the Pantheon and Thor is the main hero of the pantheon.

my pet theory is the Rand+Mat+Perin are all diffent aspect of the dragon and the true dragon is the 3 of them combine (min viewing of rand :ight streanthening and beeing able to hold against the drakness when Perin was near him support this IMO), could it be that Rand aint the most importent Aspect ?

Tyr at one time was considered the head of the Norse pantheon, not Odin. I think Rand's the main man in the upcoming battle but, as the books say, all three are needed.

It could just mean Rand importance after the LB (if he survived) would be one of happy obscurity. I mean the guys fantasy is basically chilling in his home town's lake with 3 hawt chickies. Doesnt seem like he'll want a kingdom, adventure, or world traveling. Personally that seems to be the wiser choice.

Both RJ and BS said in interviews that all of the main characters have multiple mythological parallels each but the connections are loose and there is no one to one correspondence. They are not even mutually exclusive. In particular Mat is partly Odin but he is also partly Loki and partly many others.

Rand is part Tyr, part Thor, part king Arthur, part Osiris and so on. Perrin is also part Thor, part Perun (I did a write up of his Perun parallels a while back), part Jupiter, part Samson etc.

Linda at the thirteenth depositary has an excellent write up on Mat's parallels. She has similar articles for Rand and Perrin too.

BTW, one thing I never figured out is what's the mythological parallel for Rand having three wives. RJ implied in an interview that there is one but I don't know what it is.

my pet theory is the Rand+Mat+Perin are all diffent aspect of the dragon and the true dragon is the 3 of them combine

Good to see that I'm not the only one that recently came to that conclusion. I'm halfway through Towers of Midnight.

i feel the EXACT SAME Sen :))

didnt know about the multiple part Herid tu :)

btw i dont c Arthur in Rand , the only slight connection is Morridith but he aint Rand or LTT son , there no fixed legendary capital he build, no love story between his MOST TRUSTED ally/friend and his WIFE !!!

on the other hand Arthur Hawking similarity to Arthur is quite amazing -> start with the name :), famous sword name Justice , build a new Capitol , had female channeler as main rivel (Morgan <> Amyralin), and (another pet Theory of mine) had a DF SON (Luther) who left him with a large part of his army

i feel the EXACT SAME Sen :))

didnt know about the multiple part Herid tu :)

btw i dont c Arthur in Rand , the only slight connection is Morridith but he aint Rand or LTT son , there no fixed legendary capital he build, no love story between his MOST TRUSTED ally/friend and his WIFE !!!

on the other hand Arthur Hawking similarity to Arthur is quite amazing -> start with the name :), famous sword name Justice , build a new Capitol , had female channeler as main rivel (Morgan <> Amyralin), and (another pet Theory of mine) had a DF SON (Luther) who left him with a large part of his army

also on Arthurian Mythology.... at his end, he was carried to an far off mystical island(Avalon) to return one day and rule Britian. Similar to Hawking leaving arthurandland to form Seachan where they wait a Return too.

TU Hern i known i forgot something about Arthur Hewking <> Arthur Pendragon similarity.

and btw Arthur NEVER !!! drow excalibur from a stone.

he drow Uther(SP ?) sword from the stone , broke it on his first fight (against the green knigh i think), then was brought to the Lady of the Lake and was given Excalbur and its hilt, which he later charge 1 of his knight to return it to the lady of the lake after the fight at Pelinor fielfd.

and btw show stupidity by choosing the sword (extra fighting ability) over the hilt (instant full healing) when Merlin fortold he will lose 1 of them and ask him to choose:)

Rand have elements of Tyr definitely but I see allot of Odin in him. One of the main themes in Rand is sacrifice, and Odin is in many ways seen as the God of sacrifice. That being said Matt is very strongly tied to Odin to due to the whole gaining knowledge and paying for it by being hung in the three thing. Odin off course sacrifice one of his eyes and hang himself in Yggdrasil to gain knowledge and the wisdom of the runes. One other interesting tidbit there is that Odin was considered to be a great user of magick, which in Viking culture was considered a female art, in fact for a man to practice magick was considered to be ergi, which just translates to unmanly, and yet Odin was considered to be the greatest magick user of them all. Also one more thing, which have nothing to do which who is paralleled in which God, but in old Norse society the most common magick, which was also the one that Odin practiced was named said, that being said I think that there all in all are more indications that Rand is inspired by Tyr than Odin.

Archived