DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Spoilers chapter 1] What is Rand's answer?

Guest Johan Bjarnevik

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. And Aviendha is just thinking "all I need is one night..." but that's probably not what she's actually hoping for. ;)

Here's my theory, based on the Aelfinn answer to Rand's question:

Question: "How can I win the Last Battle and survive?"

Answer: "The north and east must be as one. The west and south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die."

I always thought that "The two must be as one" referred to the preceding "north and east must be as one" etc.

Meh. I've been thinking for a while that line was fulfilled by Rand/LTT, though it could also be Rand/Moridin at this point.

"The two must be as one."

I am going against the flow here I think, but this bit could be referencing the 2 evils. The DO and Fain.

Aside from that, here is another thought.

Not sure if this variant of a solution has been discussed before, but I'm sure someone will let me know.

First, Rand's solution has to be by mechanisms already incorporated into the story.

Second, the Bore into the DOs prison is not a physical thing but instead a weakness between this reality and the DO's world.

When and where (story wise) have we heard of something that matches this description?

Answer: When Morgy was punished by the DO after being captured and enslaved by Ny.

She had been stuck in a Veracule(sp), a little Bubble Universe, and it scared her. She had memories of such things being created during the AoL for scientific research, but they were incredibly dangerous, as they can break off of this reality and be lost (according to her) forever.

What is the Bore was connection to the Creator's Vericule Bubble where the Creator had originally sealed the DO away (prison), that had drifted back to the "reality" bubble and was resting against it (as bubbles can do),

Rand will know about such things since he has AoL memories, but he has to clear away his "old patch", before he fights the DO & shoves the DO into a new Veracule (or maybe just cuts the DOs old Veracule loose).

Also, I do not agree with some people on the board, that feel that the DO can't be destroyed. I know many will not like it, but I see Fain (a new thing to the Pattern), being thrust into the DO's Bubble just before the connection is cut from the reality" bubble and I hope, that (just like what happened at SL, they cancel each other out. But since they are disconnected from the Reality bubble, it keeps the world from being destroyed.

Also, I do not agree with some people on the board, that feel that the DO can't be destroyed. I know many will not like it, but I see Fain (a new thing to the Pattern), being thrust into the DO's Bubble just before the connection is cut from the "reality" bubble and I hope, that (just like what happened at SL, they cancel each other out. But since they are disconnected from the Reality bubble, it keeps the world from being destroyed. Yes I know that the DO is much more powerful than Fain, but Fain has been gaining power very rapidly and seems to have recently have picked up/melded two additional "evils" Mashgar fog and possably the "Black Wind". Regardless of that, the DO may be signifficantly reduced in power after this latest run in with the Dragon.

You might say that the WoT world "needs" the DO for balance. I dis-agree, there is already plenty of evil and selfishness in the world (real or WoT) without having an extra DO portion.

Feel free to pounce now as I am not overly attached to this theory. Just passing time while I wait very impatiently!!!!

Wvlr2: I think Fain must be apart of Rand's solution in order for it to be different than ages past. How? Well, I have another theory but I think you are on the right path. For me, the importance of the evil of Shadar Logoth is not how "powerful it is." Rather, it is important because it attracts the Dark One's energies. Rand channeled in a manner that allowed the entirety of the Taint to gather in Shadar Logoth. Should we really think of this event in terms of comparative power levels?

The cleansing of the Source does bring an intriguing possibility to the fore, however. The Taint gathered in Shadar Logoth seemingly was destroyed. Might the Dark One, as an entity of "evil" energy, be destroyed in a like manner? The healing of Rand's wounds suggests another possibility (namely that the two forces would repel one another but not destroy each other.) I actually think this latter possibility is the key to a more permanent solution. I'm not the first person to suggest as much but I'm amazed it doesn't get more attention given the cleansing of the Source, the healing of Rand's wounds, etc.

I'm curious: how does one break the Wheel of Time?

Lanfear speculated that, with the Choedan Kal, she and Rand could challenge the Dark One or the Creator. However, this always seemed like an overreach to me. Now, Rand doesn't even have a sa'angreal as powerful as the CK.

The Dragon is a creature of the Wheel, so he is subordinate in power to the Wheel. Likewise the Foresaken. The combined strength of all of them could break the world (and already has) but still be insufficient to destroy the Pattern or break the Wheel.

On the other hand, the Dark One is NOT a creature of the Wheel. The Dark One is the antithesis of the Creator, wholly capable of destroying whatever the Creator made, but hamstrung in his desires by being outmanuvered and trapped by the Creator.

It follows that since the Dark One's prison is the direct handiwork of the Creator, and was made sufficient to contain the Dark One, no group of men could destroy that prison either. The most they could do is damage it.

The way to destroy the wheel is by ticking off the Dark One (who by definition is the only one with power to match the Creator) and getting him to test the limits of his own prison. Maybe he'll find some cosmic corrosion on the spot-welds, or find a bunch of celestial dry-rot growing under the pink daisies painted on the doorframe, and then use the Hulk-Smash © Hands he got as an early Christmas present to punch down the walls.

Archived