DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I Wish Birgitte and Mat Would End Up Together

garfoofafuffel

I believe it was in the seventh book, Crown of Swords, that Birgitte and Mat have this hilarious and wonderful rapport; even better than Rand has with Elayne, or Nynaeve with Lan. RJ loved to torment the men by having the women be a little too feisty for me to understand what made the men love them in the first place - please don't interpret this to mean I don't think women should be strong, I just mean there is so much conflict between Rand and Elayne, Rand and Avihenda, Perrin and Faile, etc.

I find it hilarious and much like real life - Mat and Birgitte don't have an actual chance of romance together, so their relationship is care free and great, making me wish they ended up together.

Do you have any random pairings like that you wish had happened in these books? I'm curious to hear about others. Thom and Moirainne is an intriguing one, obviously. Tell me what you think!

I'm sure I've seen a PoV of Birgitte where she's admiring Mat's collection of scars and thinking that his face is still too pretty. That was before the ToG.. I will try to find it!

ETA: I did find this; it's just after Elayne gets Mat's letter:

"I find his face far too pretty, but that doesn't mean I can't judge a good backside when I see one."

I wonder what she will think of him now...

true

Mat is not ugly enough for Birgitte. So hes a friend but thats all.

That was before he lost his eye to the 'finns :mat:

true, the eye, i forgot about that, an eye patch and that hanging scar probably get him well on the road. Just need some burns or something to top it off

Ive always thought Mat and Elayne would do well together. They have quite a complex relationship in some ways, and she has probably seen more layers of him then most. Always made more sense to me anyway then her meeting Rand and falling in love with him despite having seen him like four times since.

re: Olver, I think his ugliness was part of the red herring that he's Gaidal (it turns out he's not..right? I can't remember)

re: Mat and Aludra, that's a great one.

re: Mat and Elayne, it's so true, I never really quite understood the Elayne / Rand pairing, other than I'm sure that baby has some part to play.

Mat falling for Tuon is one of my biggest (and one of very few) pet peeves with the series. Part of it is a dislike of Tuon and hatred for the Seanchan, but the other part is how much better he'd (seemingly) be with others, plus how perfect (and hilarious) some would be. Elayne, Aludra and Birgitte are definitely at the top of the list.

I wonder if Hopper ever got with Dapple. He had the hots for her, but did she acknowledge that?

And did Bela ever get with Cloud? Or even one of Master Al'Vere's durhams? That mare deserves some lovin'.

Other unions to consider:

Basel Gill +unnamed cook of The Queen's Blessing.

Uno + Aludra

Luc/Isam + Alviarin

Elaida + Pura

Other musings:

What happens when two Drahkar kiss?

I'm sure I've seen a PoV of Birgitte where she's admiring Mat's collection of scars and thinking that his face is still too pretty. That was before the ToG.. I will try to find it!

ETA: I did find this; it's just after Elayne gets Mat's letter:

"I find his face far too pretty, but that doesn't mean I can't judge a good backside when I see one."

I wonder what she will think of him now...

Well, she did think Uno was quite a striking figure. I thought that there was something there with Uno and Birgitte. I was thinking he was the "older" Gaidal from the "both older and younger" in Min's viewing.

Archived