DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Moridin really Ishamael?

Mowbray

I don't know whether this has been discussed or not, but it still intrigues me.

Throughout the series - ever since Moridin has made an appearance - we have been assuming Ishamael to be the resurrected one. However, if you see the characteristics of the two Forsaken, some very startling discrepancies come out:

1. Ishamael was determined to either turn Rand or kill him. Moridin, on the other hand, only wants Rand to survive (for now).

2. Ishamael was never a patient man. He only liked to see things working, with he in the centre. Moridin, on the other hand, is merely giving commands, and sitting away as a judge and an executioner.

3. Ishamael failed not once, but thrice, while other Forsaken were getting punished for failing even once. Graendal was the special case, who got two chances.

4. Moridin said something of "the one being punished the most". What if he is actually talking about Ishamael, and not Lanfear?

5. Aginor was exposed as Osan'gar, and Balthamael was exposed as Arangar. Even Cyndane has been nearly revealed. But about Moridin, RJ and BS has mentioned nothing more than being the one who's giving orders and watching over Shayol Ghul. When Rand accused him of returning back, he didn't even admit that, but turn the conversation away from it.

Knowing the potential of the entire series, I don't think - I hope, at least - that RJ is going to serve us everything on a platter before the climax. Who'll survive, who'll not - that's a very old question that accompanies every series. Demandred's mystery is one thing, but it's not sufficient. Lanfear was always expected to play a role in the end (she was the one to start it all) and Taim was too obvious of becoming a Chosen (no one can give a potential, strong army as Taim did).

So what's it that can make AMoL explosive? Something interesting, something unexpected, and, especially, something that can make the author sneer at the readers by saying that it was always before them all the time.

I personally feel that the reason RJ ad BS have refused to acknowledge Moridin as an Ishamael reincarnate is that he actually is not. In fact, I think he's an undocumented Forsaken or at least one of the other dead ones.

P.S. I know DL has mentioned that Asmodean won't be brought back, but didn't anyone observe that Moridin actually appeared to us after Asmodean's death?

I personally feel that the reason RJ ad BS have refused to acknowledge Moridin as an Ishamael reincarnate is that he actually is not. In fact, I think he's an undocumented Forsaken or at least one of the other dead ones.

Uhmmm not sure why you think the authors have refused to acknowledge that?

BRANDON SANDERSON

People like to talk of Rand's character development. Elan -> Ishamael -> Moridin is almost as interesting to me. His outlook has evolved so much.

Then there's this:

"I watched you die," Rand said. "I stabbed you through the chest with Callandor. Isha-"

"That is not my name," the man interrupted, still watching the flames. "I am known as Moridin, now."

[...]

"Long ago, I promised you that the Great Lord could restore your lost love. Do you not think that he can easily recover one who serves him?"

[...]

"Is that what made you turn to his side?" Rand asked. "You were always so full of thoughts, Elan. Your logic destroyed you, didn't it?"

"There is no path to victory," Moridin said. "The only path is to follow the Great Lord and rule for a time before all things end. The others are fools. They look for grand rewards in the eternities, but there will be no eternities. Only the now, the last days."

Ouch, shut down from all sides. Wrong it may be, I still enjoy reading all those cooky theories. However, I have to heavily disagree with your second point. I think Ishamael was probably the most patient of all the forsaken. From his speech in tEotW prologue, and from Rand's dreams, you get the sense that everything he does is done for the grand scheme of things.

tEotW 15:

I whispered in Artur Hawkwing's ear and the length and breadth of the land Aes Sedai died. I whispered again, and the High King sent his armies across the Aryth Ocean, across the World Sea, and sealed two dooms. The doom of his dream of one land and one people, and a doom yet to come...

Seriously, he formed the Seanchan, though it took him a thousand years.

Archived