DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Good Bye to DragonMount

I'm starting to feel like they should change the name from Dragon Mount to Brandon Bash.

No shit thats seems to be all that happens anymore. I am a stay at home dad and this site really helped with my day being able to read up on stuff now its more like sifting through stuff to get to the good parts, not very enjoyable at all.

Very easy to manage the "ignore" list on your profile. That would sift out much of what you don't want to see. It's kind of a tough circle at this point to be honest. The people actually bashing are few and far between of course, most have very valid critiques/thoughtful posts. Regardless they are attacked just the same for their views which really tells you all you need to know.

I was not aware of the ignore option i may just have to use that but for now ill troll lol

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for folks like you that are new to the site. I've been here for five years, and it used to be much, much more enjoyable. I can understand people's problems with his writing, a lot of them have valid critiques. But literally, and I mean literally, every single thread, no matter the topic, at one point or another (Usually within the first three posts) devolves into people talking about how shitty a job he's done. Whether their critiques are valid or not, some people could at least do others the courtesy of keeping it isolated to the many threads already devoted to how shitty a job they think he's done. But they have this insufferable need to pollute every thread with it. As if it hasn't already been made abundantly clear by them many times over.

The atmosphere has become pretty toxic. I'll probably be leaving the site after AMoL is released, maybe before if things don't improve. Since the admins and mods here are some of the more vociferous Brandon critics and since they have come out and said we're not allowed to criticise the act of criticising him, I can't see this place getting any better. It really says something when the WoT thread on Something Awful is a more positive and upbeat place to be than the actual main fansite for the series.

Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for folks like you that are new to the site. I've been here for five years, and it used to be much, much more enjoyable. I can understand people's problems with his writing, a lot of them have valid critiques. But literally, and I mean literally, every single thread, no matter the topic, at one point or another (Usually within the first three posts) devolves into people talking about how shitty a job he's done. Whether their critiques are valid or not, some people could at least do others the courtesy of keeping it isolated to the many threads already devoted to how shitty a job they think he's done. But they have this insufferable need to pollute every thread with it. As if it hasn't already been made abundantly clear by them many times over.

The atmosphere has become pretty toxic. I'll probably be leaving the site after AMoL is released, maybe before if things don't improve. Since the admins and mods here are some of the more vociferous Brandon critics and since they have come out and said we're not allowed to criticise the act of criticising him, I can't see this place getting any better.

I didn't take it that way. To my mind you are allowed to post your thoughts on why you do not agree and actually like the writing or sequence in question. What you can't do however is attack the act of critiquing and label it all "hating/bashing".

The atmosphere has become pretty toxic. I'll probably be leaving the site after AMoL is released, maybe before if things don't improve. Since the admins and mods here are some of the more vociferous Brandon critics and since they have come out and said we're not allowed to criticise the act of criticising him, I can't see this place getting any better. It really says something when the WoT thread on Something Awful is a more positive and upbeat place to be than the actual main fansite for the series.

It does, doesn't it?

My main thing on this was that Brandon was forewarned that this could occur; in specific detail that would have allowed him to answer many of these issues. And yet despite citing again and again that fan criticism was the foundation by which he judged his efforts during the times of positive response, he chose instead to withdraw from the fandom when their criticism turned negative, and avoid even that which he had asked for.

The storm that is coming is entirely on Brandon.

. Since the admins and mods here are some of the more vociferous Brandon critics and since they have come out and said we're not allowed to criticise the act of criticising him

To be clear, I overturned the instruction that was issued against critiquing the critiques. So long as they are not personal attacks the Code of Conduct permits them.

come on guys I mean i have literally one of the most vociferous critic of Brendon. Even to a point that I have drawn lot of strange stares and snide comments on that. I really do not mind that as it is the price of standing up and saying your mind. I can completely understand what luckers, sutt, Mr. ares and other are saying. Problem is that some of these other people are relatively new to it. They do not have the same kind of attachment to series and the narrative style as we do. So, let us call a truce. Let us keep the criticism of BS to the threads only. Today Jason has read the final book. It really is the count down to end. I can almost feel that book in my hand and staying up whole night to finish it. Let us celebrate the greatest fantasy work of our time and may be all times. let us not spoil the big picture by nitpicking.

My main thing on this was that Brandon was forewarned that this could occur; in specific detail that would have allowed him to answer many of these issues. And yet despite citing again and again that fan criticism was the foundation by which he judged his efforts during the times of positive response, he chose instead to withdraw from the fandom when their criticism turned negative, and avoid even that which he had asked for.

The storm that is coming is entirely on Brandon.

Can you provide specific examples of this? I don't mean to be difficult or anything but this is the first I've heard of it. If it is true then that is a worry since hugbox-style environments are a cancer that halts authorial development.

I agree with the others on this post that I'm tired of hearing about all the things Brandon has done wrong. I'm tired of this taking over a lot of posts. If you want to complain, complain in the topics posted for that.

The series is completed.

I know i started this thread on the view of not commin here any more after the last books is done and it of course has gone slightly downhill.

I come to this site because I enjoy the Wheel of Time books, and I like all of them.

I want to discuss what happens and will discuss it after reading the final book, but if all it is is Brandon bashing I will not be here.

And there seems to be a lot of that any more for sure. Its like yes he could of done better did he nope get over it its done lol

I haven't read through all 4 pages of responses on this topic, so I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but I was kind of under hte idea that, when the series is over, the majority of this crowd would transfer their fervor to the Stormlight series for the NEXT 20 years. :) I am fairly certain that I will be. lol

I haven't read through all 4 pages of responses on this topic, so I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but I was kind of under hte idea that, when the series is over, the majority of this crowd would transfer their fervor to the Stormlight series for the NEXT 20 years. :) I am fairly certain that I will be. lol

I wont be the only other book that i have read by Sanderson was Elantris and both times i have read it i had to force myself to finish it. I dont like books that i have to force myself through.

I haven't read through all 4 pages of responses on this topic, so I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but I was kind of under hte idea that, when the series is over, the majority of this crowd would transfer their fervor to the Stormlight series for the NEXT 20 years.

Uuhhhmmm some how I don't see that being the case.

I for one am going to do smething else. Honestly BS has never impressed me as a writer and I am not your hardcore fantasy fan anyway. I will come back here like I do now sometimes regularly and then vanishing for long periods and then coming back. I have come to like and respect lot of you guys out there. It is going to be bittersweet.

• 2 months later...

I like the theories, the forums, and discussions.  I secretly wish Brandon would agree to do a few outriggers with the same standards as he finished the books.  I hate to see my favorite fantasy world disappear. 

On that same note, I'd be unhappy and probably done with it all if they ever got a different author than Brandon to do the series.  It was hard to accept him in the beginning, but everything has been done as promised IMHO.  Different people telling different stories from this universe would ruin the whole thing.  Then all of us real fans would have to tell the noobies what to read and when to stop!

To be honest, I don't know one way or the other.  However, my best guess would be that I'll stick around for a bit after the book, and then leave for a few years, only to return later when I do another re-read of the series.  I have a habit of being very involved with RJ fansites for periods of time, and then leaving them all together for just as long periods of time.  This is actually my second user account on DM.  My first one was registered 10+ years ago, I think, but when I came back to the site, I couldn't remember my old username, password, or even the e-mail address I was using back then.  I imagine something similar occurring again here.

I enjoy seeing what other people think about WoT, and as I know very few people in RL who read WoT, web communities will continue to have their appeal for me.  But the inability of many people to remain civil when having a discussion online will always drag me down after a while, and then I leave the boards for extended periods of time. For the most part, I have to say DM mods do a decent job of keeping the worst trolling, hate speaking, etc. out of the boards.  But all boards, DM included, have a tendency to degenerate into uncivil arguments after awhile.  People seem to forget that just because you CAN say those things without significant consequences while on the web, that doesn't mean you should.  People seem to forget that just because you disagree with someone, doesn't mean they are stupid, evil, wrong, less than human, etc.  And then, during some re-read of WoT or another, a thought will occur to me, or a question, and I will wonder what other fans think of this situation, causing me to log back onto DM. (My most recent impetus, for example, was the first Mat chapter in tGS, which caused me to run straight to DM to see what others thought of this "new" Mat).

While I am not a huge fan of BS in his WoT writing, and feel that criticism of him is valid and justified, there is a LOT more to WoT than what he has written, and the mistakes he has made.  I find it difficult to find discussions on DM that don't eventually revolve around BS's writing skills, or lack thereof.  I like to spend some of my time discussing that topic, but I also want to discuss other things about the last three books than his mistakes.  A lot has happened, is happening, and about to happen.  And instead of discussing this, it is a huge fight between those who "hate" BS's work, and those who think criticizing BS after we're getting any ending to WoT post-RJ is "evil".

That being said, I am a continual optimist, and so I continue to return after absences to see what is going on with fellow WoT fans.

I tend to come and go at various forums, I am a member of far to many of them on a myriad of topics and I tend to switch between them so eventually my posting might drop down to a post every now and again when I have a question or something and then I will come back and post regularly and then leave again and so on, whatever or not the series have ended do not matter, there is allot to discuss in the setting even if it is complete.

I also do not like the Brandon bashing, it is a great shame that Jordan did not live to finish his book series and I am sue it would have been better if he did, but the fact of the matter is that unfortunately Jordan left us far to soon and then we are left with the choice, do we want the series completed or not. Brandon will never write exactly like Jordan and that is something we have to live with, those who are Jordan purists can just stop reading at the last book he wrote before passing away, and then the rest of us can enjoy actually getting an conclusion to the story, it is as simple as that. I actually do not understand the Brandon bashing, if someone had come in and pushed the original author out of the way due to some publishing company wanting it so or something like that then I could have understood such a reaction, but since the original author here have unfortunately passed away we are left with either tolerating that an other author finishes the series or not getting it finished, and for those who only want to read what Jordan have written those books are still there for them to read and enjoy and they can just skip the last books in the series, easy as that, I do not understand where the problem is.

I also do not like the Brandon bashing, it is a great shame that Jordan did not live to finish his book series and I am sue it would have been better if he did, but the fact of the matter is that unfortunately Jordan left us far to soon and then we are left with the choice, do we want the series completed or not. Brandon will never write exactly like Jordan and that is something we have to live with, those who are Jordan purists can just stop reading at the last book he wrote before passing away, and then the rest of us can enjoy actually getting an conclusion to the story, it is as simple as that. I actually do not understand the Brandon bashing, if someone had come in and pushed the original author out of the way due to some publishing company wanting it so or something like that then I could have understood such a reaction, but since the original author here have unfortunately passed away we are left with either tolerating that an other author finishes the series or not getting it finished, and for those who only want to read what Jordan have written those books are still there for them to read and enjoy and they can just skip the last books in the series, easy as that, I do not understand where the problem is.

The Brandon bashing is, in many cases, disappointment at the books not being good enough - not that they weren't up to RJ's standards, but that BS didn't do his best. Do you want the books done, or do you want them done right? The last two books showed signs of being rushed. I think BS is quite capable as an author, he can do better. He is doing himself, the fans, RJ, and Team Jordan a disservice if he doesn't.

I do not see that Brandon's books are not done well, I think his writing is very good, I also think that if someone summoned up the God of Writing and had him complete the books fans would say they are not good enough because it was not Jordan writing them, no author would measure up and I think Brandon is doing as good of a job as anyone could. Now I am not saying that the opinion that Brandon is not doing a good enough job, or is not true to the spirit of the series is not a valid one, I do not agree but that is a matter of opinion and a topic for fine debate, it is more when it become bashing and nerd rage that I think it is a problem.

Archived