DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Do you think

So with a lot of us on here going over the books that Sanderson has written, pointing out what we think is wrong with the way they are written and his character development along the way of the last three books and the overwhelming differences between him and RJ, Do you all think that this will effect the way Sanderson goes about writing his books from now on. Or that he doesnt really care what we think as readers and critics, and he is just going to go on the way he has always and do his own thing?

I myself think that all of our imput over these last few years should make him a better author in the longrun, he he takes what we say into account,that is.

Still not going to read any of his other books though i struggled through Elantris both times i have read it, I do not really like books that i have to force my self to read.

Everyones thoughts on this would be great

Well I think Sanderson is quite a good writer and doesn't really deserve all the criticism he gets at the forums. It's tough to compare old fantasy writers like Tolkien or Jordan to modern ones like Sanderson, their styles are too different. I heard the Mistborn series is quite good, I will definitely pick that one up soon.

He's claimed to have grown as a writer from doing the WoT, but over the course of the three books (well, 2 full books and excerpts of AMoL), I don't see much of it on the page.

The fans' feedback likely went largely ignored save for positive things, since he's admitted to distancing himself from negative feedback. That alone kind of stunts a lot of chances for growth IMO.

He's written some really great scenes in the last two books, and I applaud him for that. The problem is that for the most part they just aren't. From the chapter 11 excerpt, I see absolutely no growth whatsoever. It's just the same as his worst offerings from TGS.

He sold books before WoT, and it got him recognition and a larger fanbase, and he'll sell more books after WoT partly because of it. I think he'll just keep doing what he's been doing, and he squandered a large portion of this literally once in a lifetime opportunity.

I've only just began reading tGS, but I would assume that since he had written so much when they decided to split, that any change in style would only be noticeable in late ToM and aMoL.

At one point he had to ignore the feedback to get anything done. I guess the question is rather how much feedback did he listen to and how much of it was practical to implement given the rather unique situation. I think we have to wait for aMoL to judge this fairly.

I think Brandon has done an admirable job completing the series.

No one could have lived up to the standard that Robert Jordan set for the series. No one knew the story or the characters the way he did. No one can write that story the way Robert Jordan could.

Brandon is still a young writer and I believe his writing has grown through the experience of completing the Wheel of Time. To complete one of the most complicated and in my opinion, the greatest fantasy epic of all time is HUGE task. I believe his books will continue to get better.

I am very excited that Robert Jordan wrote the ending to the series so that we will get the ending he always wanted us to have.

Archived