DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The title: 'A Memory of Light'

Peter

I have been wondering what we can read into the title, 'A Memory of Light'. These four words are currently the only words we know for sure will be published in the final installment.

I think that the title foreshadows something about how the series will end.

For example, the world may fall into the shadow, or Rand may fall into the shadow, but in the end the world and perhaps Rand will be saved by 'A Memory of Light'; in other words, by a memory of what things were like when people had hope and before his fall and the world's fall into the shadow.

What do you think?

Read into the title?

I remember the wild theories about Crossroads of Twilight focusing on Dark Hounds, and Knife of Dreams focusing on a weapon used from T'A'R.

How many of the books can you infer the focus from with the title?

The Eye of the Wolrd

The Great Hunt

The Dragon Reborn (sort of)

Lord of Chaos (maybe)

Crown of Swords (I think was there a previous description of the laural crown?)

I think that is prety much it.

I agree with you that past books' titles were not very informative in this regard; but, I somehow think there is more significance to this title since it is the last in the series and RJ really has not written the majority of it yet. I believe it has to do with some major turn of event that is directly associted with how the series will end. RJ has said numerous times he already knows how the story concludes; the title is already out when the majority of the book is not written; hence, the title must have some major significance on the conclusion.

'A Memory of Light'

Guest cwestervelt
I have been wondering what we can read into the title' date=' 'A Memory of Light'. These four words are currently the only words we know for sure will be published in the final installment.

I think that the title foreshadows something about how the series will end.

For example, the world may fall into the shadow, or Rand may fall into the shadow, but in the end the world and perhaps Rand will be saved by 'A Memory of Light'; in other words, by a memory of what things were like when people had hope and before his fall and the world's fall into the shadow.

What do you think?[/quote']

We don't know for shure that those four words will be published in the final installment. "A Memory of Light" is the working title those are often subject to change.

the only thing I can think of is Mat has to give up half the light of the world to save the world...

as crazy as it may seem, this is the first time i've ever seen that brought up in any forum as a reference to aMoL....makes sense, but that also brings up another question...what does THAT mean?

Personally, I think the title is just a cool title, nothing more, I think its a very appropriate title for a book that I am assuming with have Tarmon Gaidon in it

Mats giving up half the light of the world to save the world, Egwene has seen in her dreems Mat balancing an eye on a scale, as if wheighing it maybe? Determining a price? We've also seen the visions of him reaching up and grabbing a fistful of illuminators fireworks, and we know what thats about, but I think the two are correlated. Mayhap there will be an accident and he loses an eye as they get the first "dragons" working. I've also thought...Oh, wait a second, this just hit me, check this out, weighing his eye on a scale, as if determining a price? Ya, where is Mat and Thom and Noal headed? The tower of Genji to the Aelfinn and Eelfinn, where there is always a price.

Now, this cuts into the possibility of the title. Rands world is growing increasinly dark, both emotional and physical since semirhages attack. We've decided that Moiraine is going to get rescued, is she whats going to help Rand? You recall Sorilea and Cadsuane making their agreement to work together to teach Rand how to Laugh and to cry again, or the world is doomed, right? Well...

If mat gives up half the light of the world, one eye, to save the world, that might be the price to get Moiraine out alive, and maybe able to channel. We already know that she knows far more than anyone ever suspects, so she is probably going to have a key role in either bringing back rands eye sight, or in dragging him back from emotional and or physical death.

Wow, my brain just got tired. :roll:

Mats giving up half the light of the world to save the world, Egwene has seen in her dreems Mat balancing an eye on a scale, as if wheighing it maybe? Determining a price? We've also seen the visions of him reaching up and grabbing a fistful of illuminators fireworks, and we know what thats about, but I think the two are correlated. Mayhap there will be an accident and he loses an eye as they get the first "dragons" working. I've also thought...Oh, wait a second, this just hit me, check this out, weighing his eye on a scale, as if determining a price? Ya, where is Mat and Thom and Noal headed? The tower of Genji to the Aelfinn and Eelfinn, where there is always a price.

Now, this cuts into the possibility of the title. Rands world is growing increasinly dark, both emotional and physical since semirhages attack. We've decided that Moiraine is going to get rescued, is she whats going to help Rand? You recall Sorilea and Cadsuane making their agreement to work together to teach Rand how to Laugh and to cry again, or the world is doomed, right? Well...

If mat gives up half the light of the world, one eye, to save the world, that might be the price to get Moiraine out alive, and maybe able to channel. We already know that she knows far more than anyone ever suspects, so she is probably going to have a key role in either bringing back rands eye sight, or in dragging him back from emotional and or physical death.

Well, even though Mat giving up an eye during the rescue of moiraine is the most likely fulfilment of his "prophecy", I strongly doubt it has anything to do with 'a memory of light'. And not juts because he still has one eye left, thus still seeing light.

But the final book obviously has a strong focus on TG, the title should refer to something either directly connected to TG, or events immidiatly afterwards. Now, Mat has to save moiraine, or Rand is toast, but it is still an event too far from the core events regarding the actual battle to be important enough to merited the honour of naiming the final book.

I think the title is more metaphorical, the light is in bad shape, and I think we will see the shadow kicking some serious rear during at least the first half of the book. Thuink it was a high bodycount in KOD? Tsk tsk, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Well in "Knife of Dreams" the "knife of Dreams" was barely mentioned toward the end of the book so it was not central,,, maybe RJ entends to make the Knife Pivotol in "Memory of Light" ???

but again,,, as has been mentioned here before ,,, mabe there will not be any Memory of Light to be the central theme ,,, and it could be there will be a general Memory of Light flavor to the next Book,,,

metaphoricly speaking

Archived