DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The heron from the beginning

SirTownsend

I'm just now starting CoS (Book 7) so not spoilers from this book on please, thanks. And for those just starting WoT, there might be a few minor spoilers...just a warning.

I remember back in the first few books, one of the unique things about Rand was the heron mark and his sword fighting. He would always practice swords and the different stances. To me it seemed like one of his unique talents, something that made him special. But the past couple books have nothing to do with that at all, as if it faded out. Yes, Rand can manipulate things and use the One Power, but I figured the sword fighting and heron would at least still be a part of his life, even if it was a small part. It almost like RJ decided to kick the idea of it all together. I just dont understand, is there a reason it faded out? Does it come back later? (If you answer this question just say yes or no, like I said no spoilers from CoS and beyond...just a simple question that can be answered with a yes or no. I'll read to find out the rest, I'm just curious.) I liked that part of Rand, mainly because I like anything that has to do with swords...but I do miss it.

It fades away. The series was originally intended to be a trilogy, and so Rand's use of a sword was important because in the first three books he was not really able to control what he was doing with the OP. Just as a warning I would stay away from the forums until you finish the Gathering Storm at least. There are lots of spoilers for people who haven't read that far. Don't worry about Rand. From your point onward he becomes one of the most interesting characters. If you still hope for sword play, I'm sorry but it's really not there. But Mat and Perrin will make it up for you with normal fighting methods.

Fighting with a sword is no longer practical when compared to wielding the One Power, but suffice it to say, Rand has not disdained the sword. He ordered his Asha'man to be trained with swords and he continues to train with the sword when he can find the time as we saw in LoC when he was sparring with multiple men at a time in the wake of Lan's absence.

And yes, you'll see more of Rand sword fighting, if not as much as you'd like.

He has the herons branded on the palms of his hands; he is essentially a human deadly weapon, as shown in LoC when he kills warders bare handed. That's enough for me. The story just evolves as it goes to other things.

Edit: Rand is also constantly refusing to accept his fate as well, so the sword kept him grounded to a life he wished he could always have I think, and a tie to Tam.

Indeed, I see the answer as both a yes and no.

Yes, it fades out, because Rand can use the OP, he doesn't need to cut people up with a sword, he can just destroy them with the OP.

However, at the same time, it is never forgotten. In fact, without giving away spoilers, you will see Rand in a few swordfights still, some of the most interesting are still to come, if they aren't exactly wading through hordes of enemies slicing everyone up.

Also, while the focus is shifted to the OP, away from the blade, the importance is never forgotten, rest assured, Rand's growth with the blade is not a random, unimportant thing thrown in the early books.

Interesting, did not know the tidbit about it being a triolgy. Don't worry I know my way around spoilers. I was spoiled on books so much in the past i learned how to avoid them. I had a guy once just sit there and tell me that a major character died in one of the books I was reading, and I wasnt even past the second chapter. Never understood why he did that.

Well I'm glad sword will not completely disappear. I better start reading.

Archived