DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Thousand Years Ago

seattle

What happened "a thousand years ago"? I've been re-reading the books, and I quite often see references to "a thousand years ago." Was it a special Age or war or time? Or is it just a way of saying "a really long time"?

Examples:

Nynaeve is the most powerful female Aes Sedai in a thousand years (as are Elayne/Egwene)

A thousand years since the Armies of the Night in Seanchan

etc.

There's four or five things, but I can't think of the others and I'm in a hurry. Hopefully some of you guys know and can inform me.

Guaire Amalasan proclaimed himself the Dragon Reborn. He conquered several nations. The WT (collective) ran in fear. A young king from a small country named Artur Paendrag Tanreall defeated GA and with some unnamed AS captured the false Dragon and brought him to the WT. Artur camped his men within WT lands and earned the ire of the Amyrlin. Another Dragon army tries to free GA, but Artur defeats it. The Amyrlin encourages other nations to defeat Artur and absorb his country. Artur Hawkwing fights back, defeating every army thrown at him. This leads to the consolidation of all of the Westlands under his control, except the WT. Ishy poisons him against the WT. AH lays siege to TV. Sends his daughter with an army to Shara and son with an army to Seanchan.

3000-ish years ago: End of Age of Legends, the Breaking.

2000-ish years ago: Trolloc Wars

1000-ish years ago: War of the Hundred Years, end of Artur Hawkwing's Empire (his son set off for Seanchan with an army)

The years are inaccurate since each of these eras ended in chaos that lasted for 100-300+ years, but its easy to remember as a start before you study the history further.

According to the guide and the books (a little from the books) likely the cause of the events is every 1000 years, ishmael was released from the prison for a time and he then caused chaos. So he borught on the trolloc wars and then brought on the fall of hawkwings empire and the war of a hundred years, and he was around before the eye of the world starting organising the Black Ajah for Tarmon Gaidon.

According to the guide and the books (a little from the books) likely the cause of the events is every 1000 years, ishmael was released from the prison for a time and he then caused chaos. So he borught on the trolloc wars and then brought on the fall of hawkwings empire and the war of a hundred years, and he was around before the eye of the world starting organising the Black Ajah for Tarmon Gaidon.

I read somewhere he was released every 40 years or 400 years.

Archived