DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I really dislike the sea folks!

chongjasmine

I am currently reading book 8 of the wheel of time series.

And I find myself disliking the sea folks.

I find them to be arrogant and overbearing.

I disliked them even more than I dislike the children of the light.

P/S: They have one thing to their account, though. While most people are afraid or in awe of the Aes Sedai, the sea folks are not afraid of Aes Sedai.

In fact, they treat the Aes Sedai rather badly.

lol... was that sarcasm?

No <--- That was sarcasm

:laugh:

I agree, I despise the Sea Folk. They don't care about anything but their bargains. They would let the world be destroyed if they don't get their way. They are arrogant, selfish and childish.

The Aes Sedai may be arrogant and overbearing, but at least (as an institution) they work for the greater good (as I said, in general, we know many do not do so).

The Sea Folk are just annoying. And to make matters worse, they are actually somewhat important. (mainly with their cargo ships and their control of Weather)

The world is burning, and they wont even lend a hand to save everyone without having to gain something. Utter. Pricks.

I just find them to be cowardly, as they are so afraid of being discovered to have power wielding windfinders, by the AS. For so long it was a legitimate thing to be scared of that the AS would whisk them away, but not now. Also they are self centered. They only care for a bargain over the fate of the world; knowing what the importance of the Coramoor is yet they still have to have their fair shake; get off your high horse and join the fight. Second, where the hell have they been? Seriously they just fell off the face of Randland when there are so many ways to incorporate them; they could have been tied in to something with the kin very easily but they haven't been.

I just find them to be cowardly, as they are so afraid of being discovered to have power wielding windfinders, by the AS. For so long it was a legitimate thing to be scared of that the AS would whisk them away, but not now. Also they are self centered. They only care for a bargain over the fate of the world; knowing what the importance of the Coramoor is yet they still have to have their fair shake; get off your high horse and join the fight. Second, where the hell have they been? Seriously they just fell off the face of Randland when there are so many ways to incorporate them; they could have been tied in to something with the kin very easily but they haven't been.

That's the problem with them - there's nothing important about them - ships? Big deal, seriously. It could have been written in that Rand has Tear - first and then Illian build a bigger fleet for TG 5 starting at book 4.

Besides which, unless he uses ships against the Seanchan, it's just going to be sailing up the river to the borderlands and then walking.

That's the problem with them - there's nothing important about them - ships? Big deal, seriously. It could have been written in that Rand has Tear - first and then Illian build a bigger fleet for TG 5 starting at book 4.

Besides which, unless he uses ships against the Seanchan, it's just going to be sailing up the river to the borderlands and then walking.

Ya, they've just been filler, and now even if they show up in AmoL it will either be to pad the numbers and POV's or be a hindrance.

I am currently reading book 8 of the wheel of time series.

And I find myself disliking the sea folks.

I find them to be arrogant and overbearing.

I disliked them even more than I dislike the children of the light.

P/S: They have one thing to their account, though. While most people are afraid or in awe of the Aes Sedai, the sea folks are not afraid of Aes Sedai.

In fact, they treat the Aes Sedai rather badly.

Much as I generally dislike the AS, I'm not sure I can even hold this in their favor.

lol... was that sarcasm?

No <--- That was sarcasm

Was that sarcasm? :dry:

I guess they have a point in that they make pretty much every other detestable group seem more likeable by comparisom...

Yes, they are the only group of powerful women who are arrogant and overbearing.

Besides Damer Flynn, Verin, or maybe Nynaeve can you name one channeler that isnt arrogant or overbearing. Of course the only use of the Sea Folk was use of the Bowl of Winds so they are still a loose plotline

Nynaeve not overbearing? Bwahaha.

Yes, they are the only group of powerful women who are arrogant and overbearing.

Besides Damer Flynn, Verin, or maybe Nynaeve can you name one channeler that isnt arrogant or overbearing. Of course the only use of the Sea Folk was use of the Bowl of Winds so they are still a loose plotline

Nynaeve not overbearing? Bwahaha.

While she may have gotten awesome in ToM, she has enough overbearing-ness to last a lifetime in tSR-aCoS.

lol... was that sarcasm?

No <--- That was sarcasm

I agree, I despise the Sea Folk. They don't care about anything but their bargains. They would let the world be destroyed if they don't get their way. They are arrogant, selfish and childish.

The Aes Sedai may be arrogant and overbearing, but at least (as an institution) they work for the greater good (as I said, in general, we know many do not do so).

The Sea Folk are just annoying. And to make matters worse, they are actually somewhat important. (mainly with their cargo ships and their control of Weather)

The world is burning, and they wont even lend a hand to save everyone without having to gain something. Utter. Pricks.

That is what made me dislike them so much. They care for nothing except themselves.

They are worst than the Aes Sedai, or even the children of the light.

Agree with everything said, especially how they make every other horrible group of people look amazing.

The only real thing that tied them into the novels was the bowl of winds, for the rest they were left drifting at sea :P They were almost a prop used to allow the other character's stories to be developed and fleshed out eg. mat, nyv, elayne, went to ebou dar to fix the weather, and needed the sea folk's weather expertise...but in the process those 3 primary characters grew massively in experience, came into themselves more, developed new skills and abilities, and all in all, became a lot closer to what they need to be to deal with the last battle.

Who knows, maybe the sea folk will play a major part in the last battle...but it doesnt seem likely

Another thing among the myriad of reasons I dislike the Sea Folk is their views on teachers and instructors.

They treat them like crap, just a step above a deckhand.

Where is the logic in that?

Somebody is instructing you in a skill or information you don't have, which you will benefit from. Why on earth would you not respect that person?

I think it is RJ trying to create the whole "diverse and strange" customs clashing, but this one makes little sense and shows selfishness and ingratitude on the Sea Folk's part.

I actually really liked the original Atha'an Miere we met in the Shadow Rising (Jorin??). They were obviously lesser ranked than the later characters, and the Sea Folk hierarchy does seem to reward that sort of cold blooded ambition, which would mean those that had reached that rank would be like that--any that aren't would have been winnowed out by the process.

Beyond that, they have a merchants mentality, and are only used to dealing with merchants, and so they've taken those tactics onto a global and political scale, and I really thought that RJ was working towards a big slap down with that--bullying can work against joe random merchant, but against a national infrastructure you run the risk of them simply walking away and voiding trade agreements--possibly even war. I thought that was the major reason behind Amylia's and the other abuse, to give Egwene grounds to break the Bargain, and respond to the Sea Folk as a political body not as a rival merchant group.

That's obviously not where Brandon took it, though the same point was struck, in the end.

Another thing among the myriad of reasons I dislike the Sea Folk is their views on teachers and instructors.

They treat them like crap, just a step above a deckhand.

Where is the logic in that?

Somebody is instructing you in a skill or information you don't have, which you will benefit from. Why on earth would you not respect that person?

I think it is RJ trying to create the whole "diverse and strange" customs clashing, but this one makes little sense and shows selfishness and ingratitude on the Sea Folk's part.

I dunno, there are some fairly bad cases of cultural arrogance in the real world--and remember, the Atha'an Miere only treat Shorebound teachers like that.

One of my favorite scenes is when Mat dresses down the leader of the Sea Folk deligation. Daughter of the sands... hilarious! Makes me laugh every time I read that part, especially the stupified amazement it produces in the super girls and the Aes Sedai. Can you imagine if they'd actually had the brains to take Mat with them to negotiate with the Windfinders? You'd think that knowing he was ta'veren alone would've been a good reason to take him along, but all they could think of was Mat the scoundrel, and Mat the slacker. Bah! The Sea Folk would've been lucky to get away with those ridiculous nose rings of theirs.

One of my favorite scenes is when Mat dresses down the leader of the Sea Folk deligation. Daughter of the sands... hilarious! Makes me laugh every time I read that part, especially the stupified amazement it produces in the super girls and the Aes Sedai. Can you imagine if they'd actually had the brains to take Mat with them to negotiate with the Windfinders? You'd think that knowing he was ta'veren alone would've been a good reason to take him along, but all they could think of was Mat the scoundrel, and Mat the slacker. Bah! The Sea Folk would've been lucky to get away with those ridiculous nose rings of theirs.

But then, Mat has been viewed like that by everyone except for Rand, the generals and Aiel Chieftains, the Band, and maybe Moiraine near the end. When people think of Taveren they think of Rand, and sometimes Perrin.