DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Morgase quote

Zach Rogers

I think you mean this?

"The Children like to speak of the Light protecting them," Morgase said, "of guiding their judgment and leading people to justice. That isn't how it works, Galad. Valda, claiming the blessing of the Light, could do terrible things. And I, hoping for the Light's aid, have killed unjustly.

I'm not saying that Aybara is innocent. I heaven't heard enough either way. But I want you to understand. Sometimes a good man can do wrong. At times, it is appropriate to punish him. At other times, punishment serves nobody, and the best thing to do is to let him continue and learn. As I continued and learned, after making such a poor judgment."

If you read the section, it really wasn't a case for self-defense. It might have become that, but the Whitecloaks asked them to come out and show themselves. Then the wolves attacked them. Whether the wolves were justified in attacking them or not doesn't really matter; an ordinary human being would have no reason to connect the wolves to the people hiding. Hopper attacked the Whitecloaks; they killed Hopper - pretty much in their own defense - and Perrin came charging out and killed them.

I don't like defending the Whitecloaks, and they certainly didn't need to be so threatening or sticking their noses in when Perrin et al weren't doing anything wrong. But they actually didn't attack first. The wolves did, and then Perrin. I think her ruling was just.

Archived