Character Info

Name: Ryse al'Tara

Role: Freebooter

Physical Appearance:

Hair; Brown

Eyes; Brown

Height; 6'2"

Weight; 215 lbs

Notable Features; A scar over his missing right eye.

Personallity: He is very quiet and brooding, only talking openly with close friends. To everyone else, he stays quiet unless he has something important to say.

Weaknesses: He has a blind spot on his right side. So he has trouble facing multiple opponants, cause he can easily be flanked on the right side.

Strengths: His missing eye makes his right ear slightly more powerful and sensitive.

Special: He is a self taught swordsman, which makes his moves less predictable and opponants are often put off balance by his lack of a trained style. He carries a Blademaster's sword, though he is not a blademaster himself. It allows him to often times bluff his way out of conflicts. He is however, very good with his sword.

History: Ryse is the son of a Andoran Bladmaster named Jonal al'Tara & a Shienaran noblewoman named named Talia. He never learned his mother's House's name, because her family did not approve of the marriage. He was raised large village on edge of the Caralain Grass, called Rynol. His father worked as a hunter, selling meat from animals he killed to the villages, and his mother worked as a seamstress and dressmaker.

When he was 14 years old, he discovered the Heron Marked sword that his father kept hidden away when he was cleaning out an old storeroom within his father's shop. When he asked his father if he would train him to use it, he refused, saying that swords are useless to a hunter, and that all they needed were their bows, and a quiver of well made arrows.

Refusing to accept his father's answer, Ryse stole the sword, and went out to show his friends. A swordsman passing through the village happened by and saw the sword. He demanded to know where Ryse had gotten it, and Ryse bragged that his father was the greatest Blademaster to ever live. The man left, and Ryse returned home, and replaced the sword.

The next day, the swordsman returned, and confronted Jonal as he was returning home from hunting. He challenged Jonal to a duel, which was refused. The stranger called him a coward and left, saying that he would return. The next day, Ryse and Jonel were cleaning the front of their shop when the swordsman returned, this time with 3 other men. The man again, demanded a duel, but Jonnel refused.

Suddenly, the 3 others began to attack villagers. The man claimed that he would see every single person in the village dead if Jonal refused to fight him. Giving in, Jonal agreed to the duel, and got his sword. After a long and heated battle, Jonal had the stranger on his back, with a the tip of his blade at his throat. Jonal refused to kill the man, however. He put his sword away and walked away. Angry that he had been defeated, the stranger attacked Jonal from behind, driving his sword through his back. He proclaimed himself a Blademaster, having killed one, and ordered one of his men to retrieve Jonal sword for him.

Ryse however, grabbed the sword first, and refused to hand it over. The stranger became angry and used his sword to slash Ryse across his right eye for daring to hinder him. Before, the man could kill Ryse, however, the villages rose up, gathering weapons and driving the four men out of the village. Clutching his father's sword, Ryse knelt by Jonal's body, crying. He swore that he would become the greatest swordsman to ever live, and avenge him.

His mother, who had been sickly for a good number of years, simply lost the will to live after Jonal died, and followed only a month later. With nothing left for him, in Rynol, Ryse left, taking only his father's sword and a ring that his mother had given him. He spent the next ten years traveling the Westlands training with anyone who would teach him swordsmanship, and often times training himself, and searching for his father's murderer.

Edited by Quibby

Blademasters' swords are not common, especially in the hands of farmers and hunters. I do like the self-taught angle, but it needs to be noted that "very good with his sword" does not fit into the concept of a new character whose WS will only be 5, at most.

Would like to see more input from others regarding the sword before I approve.

I realise the blademaster swords are rare and I admit I overlooked this due to being happy that the RPer didn't try to force his way in to 'being' a blademaster and to be honest, I was quite impressed with the manner in which he incorporated it in to the bio. The background is believable, the manner in which he optains the blade may be rare but not unrealistic (I can well believe a BM getting tired of a life of constant fighting. The Light only knows what they have to face half the time). It does come close to the real WOT story with Tam, I grant you though.

On the other hand, we don't get that many people that ask to be a blademaster and this one doesn't ask it either. He merely owns his father's sword, which is not uncommon in the WOT world.

If there are no serious objections, I would like to request that this be accepted. He will still start at WS 5 and will need to go through the entire WS route before being allowed to call his character a BM himself. I don't know if this is what he would like to do. For all we know, he may even end up losing the sword or deciding to give it away or whatever road he wishes to take with this character.

By my knowledge, this is the first time a Blademaster 'sword' is being used at the Freelanders since I took over in 2009. So yeah, it is rare. Even with us.

Not all Bm's need to be Warders or Banders, right? :wink:

I realise the blademaster swords are rare and I admit I overlooked this due to being happy that the RPer didn't try to force his way in to 'being' a blademaster and to be honest, I was quite impressed with the manner in which he incorporated it in to the bio. The background is believable, the manner in which he optains the blade may be rare but not unrealistic (I can well believe a BM getting tired of a life of constant fighting. The Light only knows what they have to face half the time). It does come close to the real WOT story with Tam, I grant you though.

On the other hand, we don't get that many people that ask to be a blademaster and this one doesn't ask it either. He merely owns his father's sword, which is not uncommon in the WOT world.

If there are no serious objections, I would like to request that this be accepted. He will still start at WS 5 and will need to go through the entire WS route before being allowed to call his character a BM himself. I don't know if this is what he would like to do. For all we know, he may even end up losing the sword or deciding to give it away or whatever road he wishes to take with this character.

By my knowledge, this is the first time a Blademaster 'sword' is being used at the Freelanders since I took over in 2009. So yeah, it is rare. Even with us.

Not all Bm's need to be Warders or Banders, right? :wink:

I do not think someone would simply give away a prized possession that belonged to their dead father. But I would be willing to have it broken if a good storyline came up that called for it.

Edited by Dagon Thyne