DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
chongjasmine

Books you couldn't finish?

Don Quixote. One of the worst I've ever read. I barely got to the end of the first 500 pages, and the second half (book 2) was not going to happen.

I loved the LotR books and it and WoT are two of my most fave series of all time. Was gonna read Malazan after WoT and Mistborn. (I started the first book of Mistborn a while ago...but still not got round to the other two. WoT has dominated my reading...still on LoC though. :/)

Though books that I had to give up with:

Twilight - why the hell I tried it, I still struggle to know...I gave it away for charity. Bless the poor soul who then read it...

The Colour of Magic - I hear the angry screams from Discworld fans but I just had to stop. I couldn't get into it and I REALLY wanted to like it but I failed miserably. Sorry Pratchett fans...I have failed. :/

Books I did finish but had to put down a bit:

The Fires of Heaven - I really wanted to yell my head off at the CONTINUOUS "Nynaeve yanked her braid", "Elayne folded her arms under her breasts", etc. I was literally looking up the contents to see how many pages it was left until the Nynaeve/Elayne/Birgitte chapters ended.

The Amber Spyglass - I read this because my friend raved about it. Initially I thought "Young Adult...meh" but ended up loving His Dark Materials...how did Pullman mess up the finale. *cries*

The Fires of Heaven - I really wanted to yell my head off at the CONTINUOUS "Nynaeve yanked her braid", "Elayne folded her arms under her breasts", etc. I was literally looking up the contents to see how many pages it was left until the Nynaeve/Elayne/Birgitte chapters ended.

I had the same experience the first time I read The Fires of Heaven many years ago.  I remember flipping ahead through the pages to see how many more chapters I would have to read before the viewpoint finally changed to some set of characters besides Nynaeve, Elayne, and whoever else was with them.  It seemed like those chapters just dragged on and on for hundreds of boring pages.  To this day, that experience is what I remember most about that book, and that's probably why I don't rate that book nearly as high as many other WoT fans do.

But then when I re-read the first 12 books of the series just a couple of years ago, those Nynaeve/Elayne chapters in TFoH didn't seem nearly as long or as boring.  I actually enjoyed them somewhat.  I think it was partly the difference between comparing them to the first four books only (on my first read-through), versus comparing them to the entire series, including the slower books later in the series (on my second read-through). 

Edited by Paul H

I had the same experience the first time I read The Fires of Heaven many years ago.  I remember flipping ahead through the pages to see how many more chapters I would have to read before the viewpoint finally changed to some set of characters besides Nynaeve, Elayne, and whoever else was with them.  It seemed like those chapters just dragged on and on for hundreds of boring pages.  To this day, that experience is what I remember most about that book, and that's probably why I don't rate that book nearly as high as many other WoT fans do.

But then when I re-read the first 12 books of the series just a couple of years ago, those Nynaeve/Elayne chapters in TFoH didn't seem nearly as long or as boring.  I actually enjoyed them somewhat.  I think it was partly the difference between comparing them to the first four books only (on my first read-through), versus comparing them to the entire series, including the slower books later in the series (on my second read-through). 

I am only on Lord of Chaos so not sure about the later books, but I was kinda disappointed with The Fires of Heaven.

One thing I noticed was how Jordan was going way too slow then when he realised he was running of pages to write the ending, it was a battle to end it in less than 100 pages. Too slow then too fast. Honestly a slower ending and a faster beginning/middle would be appreciated...

Also I know it would be ridiculous to put a Spoiler tag on something that happens in book 5 but whatever.

Also I wasn't exactly pleased with Rahvin's death - felt rushed for me. Though I did scratch my head at how the hell Rand didn't say anything about Moghedian...I mean Nynaeve made the a'dam disappear but still...wouldn't Rand not at least ask, "Hey who is that woman?"...

Game of Thrones, Eragon, Sword of Truth. I read the first book in each of the series, actually, now that I think about it, I never did finish Eragon. Anyway, I did not like these three series. I actually read Sword of truth through book 9 I think and then just couldn't do it anymore. Can't stand GoT television series either.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't stand ASoIaF. I was able to read the first three, and it was painful.

Probably going to get skewered for this but... I never finished Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series.  I know.  I am a disgrace to the science fiction community.  ...Granted, the last time I tried to read it I was only 14.

Sure, I was happily reading Asimov's "Nemisis", Frank Herbert's "Dune", and even J.R.R. Tolkien's "Simrileon" at that age.  Simply put, no matter what angle I tried to tackle it from, "Foundation" never gained its footing with me.

I have never read the Foundation series either.  I can't remember if maybe I started on the first book, but I don't think I ever did.  I remember that I enjoyed Asimov's "Robot" series though, as well as some of his short stories.

One classic science fiction book that I have been hearing a lot about lately, and that I think I might finally read, is Ender's Game

Personally, I loved that series. I thought Foundation was brilliant.

I loved the LotR books and it and WoT are two of my most fave series of all time. Was gonna read Malazan after WoT and Mistborn. (I started the first book of Mistborn a while ago...but still not got round to the other two. WoT has dominated my reading...still on LoC though. :/)

Though books that I had to give up with:

Twilight - why the hell I tried it, I still struggle to know...I gave it away for charity. Bless the poor soul who then read it...

The Colour of Magic - I hear the angry screams from Discworld fans but I just had to stop. I couldn't get into it and I REALLY wanted to like it but I failed miserably. Sorry Pratchett fans...I have failed. :/

The Amber Spyglass - I read this because my friend raved about it. Initially I thought "Young Adult...meh" but ended up loving His Dark Materials...how did Pullman mess up the finale. *cries*

nooooo Colour of Magic!

and I definitely agree about the ending of His Dark Materials. Loved the series, loathed the ending. I own the books, but will never reread them.

him ... His Dark Materials ... i can't say i loved the books.  the pose was hard to get into tbh, and i got 2/3rds into Amber Spyglass and could not finish it.

might as well add in

"Dracula"  first 50 pages were brilliant but the next 100 bored me to death with all of the sappy crap.

"Brave New World" just couldn't do it.  got half way and put it down in search for better reading.  i'm going to try this on Audio book though.

There is only one book I have started reading and haven't finished and that is 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' by John le Carre.  Couldn't stand the movie either.  I just didn't care about any of the characters.

The Great Gatsby-I hated all the characters and couldn't see a point to the book

An American Childhood- I just wanted to shout at the author that "No one cares about your uneventful, boring life! If I have to read another chapter about your rock collection, so help me..."

The second book in the Dune series. The writing style was just..No.

Bowling Alone-awesome study about American social lives, but just too much study references..

I read LOTR twice as a kid. I think I was around 9 or 10 and absolutely LOVED it! When I read it again as an adult, just before the first movie came out, I really struggled to read it. I found it so damn boring and poorly written. There was so much deus ex machina in the book. Oh the hobbits are in trouble! No matter, some singing elves will come along to save them! Oh no Gandalf is in trouble! Fear not for an eagle will save thee!

Book I couldn't finish:

Last of the Mohicans - This book was overrated and terrible.  The only good thing about it was that it turned me on to Mark Twain.  Twain so horribly abuses the author of this book (James Fenimore Cooper) in some of his written criticisms that I had to read Twain's books after that.  Turns out Huckleberry Finn was a great book.

Series I couldn't finish:

Inheritance Cycle - Finished Eragon and Eldest and I couldn't take reading the plot of Star Wars in the Lord of the Rings setting anymore.   Paolini was young when he wrote this, so I'm curious to see what he writes with a more mature mind.

Any of Tolkien's books. Just the way he wrote was boring (and this from someone who loves Shakespeare). Also anything that Ursula LaGuin(sp) wrote. Lost interest in the Twilight novels real quick (but that might be because I'm 57 years old and young love seems silly to me now. Also because Edward seemed like a pedophile...he was at least a hundred years old and he was flirting with a 16 year old?)

I've only read the last chapter of the Silmarillion. The rest was just he made this, but other person destroyed it. She made this, but other person destroyed it. The last chapter was about Sauron and I read it in a half hour. Then I brought the book back to the library.

I haven't been able to finish a single Pratchett book. This pains me because I recognise his genius and love many of his ideas, and whenever my sister reads out loud excerpts from whatever she's reading (she's a huge Pratchett fan) they're really funny... But I've never been able to finish a book. I've tried three or four different books, just couldn't get into any one of them. It doesn't pull me in. I can't seem to form an emotional attachment to the characters I try to read about. A friend (who does read and enjoy Pratchett) once summarised his style as "too much smarts and not enough feels" and I'd be inclined to agree with that assessment.

There are very few books I have ever started to read and not been able to finish.

The Song of Ice and Fire series, because I hate GRRM's writing style.

Don Quixote, which was by far one of the worst books I've ever read. I read part 1 but had no desire to ever read the second (though the second part had the only redeeming quality as far as what I read).

The Silmarillion I couldn't do, not because I thought it was bad, but because I'm just not invested in the LotR world to appreciate it I think.

I'm sure there are a few more, but for the most part, if I'm interested enough to even pick a book up and start it I'll finish it even if it's not the kind of thing I would spend a lot of time on.

The Great Gatsby-I hated all the characters and couldn't see a point to the book

An American Childhood- I just wanted to shout at the author that "No one cares about your uneventful, boring life! If I have to read another chapter about your rock collection, so help me..."

The second book in the Dune series. The writing style was just..No.

Bowling Alone-awesome study about American social lives, but just too much study references..

I liked the first Dune book, but the style didn't appeal to me enough to want to read any other book in the series.

I was able to read the first three, and it was painful.

Care to discuss what was so painful?
Just posted here completely not realizing I've posted here before. I could rant a lot about it, but it just comes down to GRRM's style.

I really enjoyed the overall story (which is why I might end up trying the show) but I couldn't get through his writing. His writing just makes me thing of an angry child's. It drove me crazy when he would use a word or phrase for the first time, and then after that feel the need to repeat it constantly after that, especially in the next few chapters. Also with that bear song, I don't care how popular it is, with a medieval level world I do not believe that literally any time someone is singing anywhere it would just happen to be that song. His word choice bothered me a lot in general. If I never read the phrase 'a mummer's farce' again it would be too soon. The way he kills characters bothered me a lot too. I've discussed this point with people before who argued it is just an aspect of realism, but I disagree. It always screamed of a whiny kid getting sick of his toys and throwing them away. I don't like it when no one dies ever, but when it seems 90% of the characters serve no overall purpose but to die, well that is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I'm done with sexual content in a series as well, but GRRM always managed to make himself seem really perverted (I know he's addressed this himself). Most of the series if someone wasn't dying they were having sex, and if they weren't having sex they were singing the bear song, and if not any of those then they were commentating on how everything was a mummer's farce.

Most of the series if someone wasn't dying they were having sex, and if they weren't having sex they were singing the bear song, and if not any of those then they were commentating on how everything was a mummer's farce.

I hadn't planned to read any of GRRM's books, and I know nothing about the characters or the plot beyond what is posted here.  But but I love this summary of the series!  :smile:

Most of the series if someone wasn't dying they were having sex, and if they weren't having sex they were singing the bear song, and if not any of those then they were commentating on how everything was a mummer's farce.

I hadn't planned to read any of GRRM's books, and I know nothing about the characters or the plot beyond what is posted here. But but I love this summary of the series! :smile:

Haha glad you liked it. SNL did a great sketch about GoT as well.

World Without End by Ken Follett. I liked his first book of the series, Pillars of the Earth, but couldn't get past the sequel. 

I've been trying to get through Game of Thrones since last November. There isn't anything too terribly wrong with it, but I just can't seem to get motivation to pick it up once I put it down. I have no trouble reading on and on when I pick it up, I just never want to pick it up again when I set it down. I've read 8 other books from January to now and I'm still only half way through GoT.

I'm exactly the same way on it. I love the series on HBO, love the books, but can't seem to pick them up to read them. Same with the Sword of Truth Series