DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Books you couldn't finish?

for me, the ASoF&I series is less about the story and more abotu the realism the author creates and the uncertainty you have about the characters.

the storytelling and world building are not on level with RJ's world imo, but Martin makes up for it in the character building and the realism and grit of his world.

i picked up "Brave New World" by Alex Huxsley and am havigna hard time getting through it, but will be pushing through it becuase its an important book to read imo. i have a feelign i'll have the same problem with Atlas Shrugged.

still, i've got a new book to add. i absoluelty devoured Congo by Michael Criton and anticipate reading Sphere and the Jurrasic Park duelology (made up word but sounds good dont it :tongue: ) i could not get more than 3 chapters into "State of Fear" though.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't finish the Simirilion.  Same problem as everyone else very dry and long winded (kinda reminded me of numbers in the bible.)  I love lotr and the hobbit just couldn't manage it.

Still need to finish Prelandria  which is c.s.lewis.

I couldn't finish Peridido Street.  Just couldn't get into the story.

Have never been able to finish anything by stienbeck except the grapes of wrath which I hated.

Like somebody else said I used to make myself finish everything but now that I have realized how little time I have available for reading if I am not into it by chapter three I put it down and I don't return.

I have finished the Divine Comedy (Its a lot easier when you have access to the Encyclopedia of the Divine Comedy, I took a college course on it which also helped.)

you dont liek Stienback? i've only read one story by him (required reading in HS) which was "Of Mice and Men" and while the book was sad, i cna't say i hated it. enjoyed it alot more than Huckfin *nods*

I've read "The Pearl"  "Grapes of Wrath" and started another one.  Steinbeck makes me feel maudlin and while I don't mind reading things that make me sad or unhappy his kind of unhappy is a bit to much for me.  And so I quit reading his stuff even for college assignments.  Grapes of wrath was the only one I was able to finish...

Tried sword of truth series its just bad. I promised myself id give it at least 3 books and make an opinion. read the first 3 books and it was torture to read. The only good thing is the main character has a really cool sword, Other than that thers nothing else good about this series. I really hate not finishing a series, i always try to complete a series that i start but not with this one. 

I remember when I finished up with "A Crown of Swords" ("Path of Daggers" was the first one I had to wait for). I was looking for another epic series, and Sword of Truth looked like a good next step. Even as a 13 year old, 70 pages into "Wizards First Rule" I concluded that Terry Goodkind was a hack. Jordan's quality kind of ruined fantasy for me. 

Edited by jjstraka34
  • 3 weeks later...

Gardens of the moon. I read up to halfway through the second part about thieves and it's just confusing with no like able characters for me. Too "evil" I guess.

I'll also admit that if I hadn't read all the sword of truth books and fallen in love, I ok would have gotten bored with the formula. Hey kaylens been kidnapped, and capitalism rocks eh? But I wouldn't think chainfire would be the worst.

Also insomnia by stephen king is my only king book and it has the stupidest premise I have ever read. There are like these good and evil space gnomes that walk around with scissors killing people. How he got famous I will never know.

• 2 weeks later...

The Amber Spyglass... Was when I was younger and I was really into these, got though half and one day the book just disappeared. My mom had recently learned what they were really about ( she was super religious) and then it was just gone.. Never got around to getting another copy so I never learned if they killed God or not :(

Game of Thrones, Eragon, Sword of Truth. I read the first book in each of the series, actually, now that I think about it, I never did finish Eragon. Anyway, I did not like these three series. I actually read Sword of truth through book 9 I think and then just couldn't do it anymore. Can't stand GoT television series either.

Was looking for another nice long epic fantasy series between WOT books, and just being spontaneous in the bookstore, bought Wizard's First Rule.  I read maybe 150 pages before I couldn't go on anymore.  Many books assume the reader needs help understanding certain concepts, but THAT book was actually insulting me!

Was looking for another nice long epic fantasy series between WOT books, and just being spontaneous in the bookstore, bought Wizard's First Rule.  I read maybe 150 pages before I couldn't go on anymore.  Many books assume the reader needs help understanding certain concepts, but THAT book was actually insulting me!

+1.  I tried to read Wizard's First Rule.  Light, did I try!  Unfortunately, I felt just the same as Plato: insulted by the constant explanations of the simplist concepts.

The only other series I have failed to read once picking it up is Twilight.  My sisters love it, so I tried desperately to read the thrice-forsaken series.  No matter how hurculian the effort or the hour of the day though, I ended up sleeping by the 37th page and unable to coherently recall what I had just read.  This is quite a feat for a book to accomplish since I can read behemoths like WoT inside of a week and retain most details.  (I blame my history and literature classes in college for this skill.)

I sincerely do not know if this issue with Twilight is something to do with the plot, characterizations, or the author's writing style, but I cannot read that series.  It numbs the senses.  Literally and to the point of unconsciousness in my case...repeatedly.

• 3 weeks later...

Tale of Two Cities. I have never had to read such a terrible book. Had to read it for a Summer school project, gave up on it after 100 pages. Failed the test...Spark notes didn't help.

This is an old post, but I was going to comment on this same book in this thread.  I read A Tale of Two Cities last year, and several times I came very, very close to giving up on it.  As far as two-thirds of the way through book, I thought that it was one of the most boring books I had ever read.  I remember commenting to my wife that reading that book was as exciting as watching paint dry.

But I stuck with it, mainly because A Tale of Two Cities is so highly regarded that I figured it must have some redeeming quality.  And I was very glad that I did stick with it, because the ending was wonderful!  All of the seemingly unimportant, unrelated, and boring facts from the first two thirds of the book were brilliantly woven together in the last third of the book, to make a very powerful and memorable ending.

If you have a chance, you might consider giving it another try.

I'll also comment that in the fantasy genre, I can think of two books that I never finished:

• The first book in The Lord of the Rings (and I never started books 2 and 3).  I just found it very boring, and I gave up on it.  Maybe I should have stuck with it, as I did with A Tale of Two Cities (and for the same reason, that it is a highly regarded classic).  I'll probably give this trilogy another try at some point.
  • Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson.  I tried reading this book back when I was in high school, and I just didn't "get" it, and I gave up maybe halfway through.
Edited by Paul H

Probably going to get skewered for this but... I never finished Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series.  I know.  I am a disgrace to the science fiction community.  ...Granted, the last time I tried to read it I was only 14.

Sure, I was happily reading Asimov's "Nemisis", Frank Herbert's "Dune", and even J.R.R. Tolkien's "Simrileon" at that age.  Simply put, no matter what angle I tried to tackle it from, "Foundation" never gained its footing with me.

Probably going to get skewered for this but... I never finished Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series.  I know.  I am a disgrace to the science fiction community.  ...Granted, the last time I tried to read it I was only 14.

Sure, I was happily reading Asimov's "Nemisis", Frank Herbert's "Dune", and even J.R.R. Tolkien's "Simrileon" at that age.  Simply put, no matter what angle I tried to tackle it from, "Foundation" never gained its footing with me.

I have never read the Foundation series either.  I can't remember if maybe I started on the first book, but I don't think I ever did.  I remember that I enjoyed Asimov's "Robot" series though, as well as some of his short stories.

One classic science fiction book that I have been hearing a lot about lately, and that I think I might finally read, is Ender's Game

I couldn't finish That Hideous Strength.  It's the third book in a series by C.S.Lewis.  I loved Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra, but the third was just so dry!

One classic science fiction book that I have been hearing a lot about lately, and that I think I might finally read, is Ender's Game

Yes.  "Ender's Game" is a very good read.  Granted, I haven't read the rest of the books in that series, I can at least vouch for that one.

Edited by Elynde

Malazan Book of The Fallen series. I was at book 7 or 8 and just stopped. Too many books without my favorite POV's, to many new characters introduced too late in the series. Besides a few of the battles scenes, the books were pretty boring. Too many characters and too few lovable characters.

I have the same issue a lot of others seem to have with Game of Thrones. I don't know what it is, I like the books, like the TV show, but I've never made it past the second book. It's like the minute I set it down for more than a day, I'm neer going back.

The only other things I can think of that I never made it through were forced reading in high school.. The Scarlett Letter is the first thing that pops to mind. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad as well. We read plenty of books I actually happily read, unlike most people, but man did I have a serious hatred for The Scarlett Letter.