DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
chongjasmine

Books you couldn't finish?

the castle of Kafka , I begun and read it only because i wanted to beat two person in my family , they did´t get thought it either, i laid down it and said i will be return in i just need some rest , needless to say I did´t return. a book that was even more lousy ,I "#"&/&¤¤/ every page of it but of the same reason as above I had to at lest try A Confederacy of Dunces it was not a god idéa i only could read about one chapter then I throw it away.

Edited by Treeberad

Tale of Two Cities. I have never had to read such a terrible book. Had to read it for a Summer school project, gave up on it after 100 pages. Failed the test...Spark notes didn't help.

"The Shack" and I barely finished "The Grapes of Wrath." I don't like Steinbeck.

Edited by Ryrin

Dickens is hit and miss with me, so I need to add Little Dorrit to my list of unfinished books. I really liked Oliver Twist, haven't tried Tale of 2 Cities (although it's been on my shelf to read for a long time - maybe we should start a thread to see what books have been on the shelf for a long time without reading?) and struggled to get through Great Expectations.

Bakker - The Darkness That Comes Before. Got about 3/4 through and just couldn't bare to read anymore, such an unengaging and wholly uninspiring read. Quite dreadful.

Tad Williams - The Dragonbone Chair. I really enjoyed Shadowmarch, but this one just didn't get going for me. Well written but didn't draw me in enough to want to continue.

For me, it was like the third or fourth Terry Goodkind book. I tried to get into them, because of a friend's recommendation. I just couldn't. It was terrible.

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Loved the first one, but couldn't get into the second.

It took me months to get halfway through the Dragonbone Chair. But after that, I flew through the series.

I finally gave up on S.M. Stirling's Emberverse at "The Scourge of God."

And Finally I couldn't finish Dance with Dragons. *shurgs* I'll try again on that one, at a later date.

the castle of Kafka , I begun and read it only because i wanted to beat two person in my family , they did´t get thought it either, i laid down it and said i will be return in i just need some rest , needless to say I did´t return. a book that was even more lousy ,I "#"&/&¤¤/ every page of it but of the same reason as above I had to at lest try A Confederacy of Dunces it was not a god idéa i only could read about one chapter then I throw it away.

The Castle was a very tough read, but of course the relentlessness of it is a big part of the point. It's fantastic at achieving that very maddening effect. Don't feel too bad though, Kafka couldn't finish it either.

COD was not for everyone. My wife loved it, and Neon Bible, but I found it spotty.

I'm usually more persistent than is good for me so I have a list of books I wish I hadn't finished. First among these is The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. While I had some misgivings in general, I liked the first 4 books, especially one and four. 5 years since I finished the series and I'm still infuriated every time I think about it. I don't have unusually high standards for my entertainment reading, but the last 3 books of this series should be burned. Worldwide. Every copy. The ending was the single biggest failure of a writer to meet the demands of his own vision that I've ever born witness to. Only a writer with King's star power could have gotten it published. I view it as a self evident failure when, in order to have the final book of your series make sense, you have to have the first book revised. Never again, Stephen King.

Edited by batcaver

I had trouble with the Gunslinger, but after I got through, I really enjoyed the rest of the series, up to book 5, where it started to drop off.

Could not get through Eragon.

I had trouble with books 5-8 of Sword of Truth, the formula was just getting old. It was the same story, over and over. Thankfully it got better after that, except for Chainfire.

Anything by Dan Brown. I read the Da Vinci Code, and thought it was a dumb, but fun little read. Tried to read two more of his books, and it was like he wrote them on a template.

Anything I have tried to read by Kathy Reichs. She uncovers a deep plot, she gets kidapped, Lt. Ryan saves her, and she saves the day with his help. Sickening.

Anything created in the 5th Age of Dragonlance. Loved the original series when I was growing up, but with Raistlin, Caramon, Tanis, Tasslehoff, Laurana, Sturm, flint and the gang gone, it just wasn't the the same. I recently started reading the 'Dragons of' series to my Nephew. He is in love with it as well. I hope he never discovers the 5th age, I don't want it to ruin DL for him.

There are plenty more if I really wanted to think about it. Some I had a hard time the first read, like Pillars of the Earth when I was in University, yet absolutely loved when I gave it another chance, later. Others I enjoyed as a kid, but not so much as an adult. Just the way it works. As we grow and change, so do our tastes.

Edited by Apoc81

Bakker - The Darkness That Comes Before. Got about 3/4 through and just couldn't bare to read anymore, such an unengaging and wholly uninspiring read. Quite dreadful.

Hmmm, that is a strange one to see. To my mind he is the greatest fantasy author out right now and the series was met with a ton of critical praise. The odd part from your take is thinking it's not engaging and is uninspiring? If anything it goes far deeper than your average fantasy story, has a fully fleshed out world and incorporates philosophical musings that hold up even outside of genre(Bakker has a PHD in philosophy).

Out of curiosity what are some of your favorite series?

Edited by Suttree

Hmmm, that is a strange one to see. To my mind he is the greatest fantasy author out right now and the series was met with a ton of critical praise. The odd part from your take is thinking it's not engaging and is uninspiring? If anything it goes far deeper than your average fantasy story, has a fully fleshed out world and incorporates philosophical musings that hold up even outside of genre(Bakker has a PHD in philosophy).

I know, all the praise I saw (including Luckers' excellent review) I was convinced I would enjoy it but it just did nothing for me. Perhaps I didn't do it justice in giving up so early but I found it so lifeless I wasn't interested in finding out more of the world or the characters. I found it quite frustrating as well to read. I'm not that good at explaining myself but there's something about the writing style that I found...not sure of the word. Arduous? Rigid, maybe? I'm not sure. But I couldn't read more than a page without feeling metaphorically worn out, whereas other books I've gone through chapters and chapters at a time with the story flowing along.

As for favourites series, I'd put Malazan Book of the Fallen up there, although only part way through so far. I'm absolutely loving The Wise Man's Fear, now that, in my opinion, is how to write a book. Amazing. Hmmm, what else. I really enjoyed N K Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy. Shadowmarch and Nights of Villjamur were two very enjoyable recent reads. I tend to jump around from series to series.The Earthsea books have been a long time favourite, they're a bit YA I know, but still I always loved the story. The Coldfire trilogy was a great one. Oh, and the Wheel of Time of course...

I had the same issues.

Too much philosophical musings takes the fun out of a book for me. Having taken philosophy courses in college, I'm not one to mix my fantasy and philosophy together much. Or it could be I don't like his style of writing. It seemed too...professional, like reading a textbook.

Like UncleButcher, I loved Rothfuss's books. I also like Butcher's Dresden series as well as the fantasy trope ridden Codex Alera. I've read LoTR as well as the WoT books.

I know, all the praise I saw (including Luckers' excellent review) I was convinced I would enjoy it but it just did nothing for me. Perhaps I didn't do it justice in giving up so early but I found it so lifeless I wasn't interested in finding out more of the world or the characters. I found it quite frustrating as well to read. I'm not that good at explaining myself but there's something about the writing style that I found...not sure of the word. Arduous? Rigid, maybe? I'm not sure. But I couldn't read more than a page without feeling metaphorically worn out, whereas other books I've gone through chapters and chapters at a time with the story flowing along.

As for favourites series, I'd put Malazan Book of the Fallen up there, although only part way through so far. I'm absolutely loving The Wise Man's Fear, now that, in my opinion, is how to write a book. Amazing. Hmmm, what else. I really enjoyed N K Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy. Shadowmarch and Nights of Villjamur were two very enjoyable recent reads. I tend to jump around from series to series.The Earthsea books have been a long time favourite, they're a bit YA I know, but still I always loved the story. The Coldfire trilogy was a great one. Oh, and the Wheel of Time of course...

Some good series listed there! Especially like Rothfuss. Think you did a pretty good job explaining your dislikes btw.

I always forced myself to read every book all the way through until a few years ago where I just decided that if I wasn't enjoying it I would stop reading it.

I couldn't finish the Dresden series. It just didn't work for me for some reason.

Atlas Shrugged I didn't enjoy, but for some reason I liked Fountainhead.

Dracule ended up being forgotten about halfway through.

Never made it through the Hyrthrun series by Jennifer Fallon, though I suggest that absolutely everyone should read the Lions of Senet series (Second Sons Trilogy) by her.

Hyperion was great, but by the third book in the Cantos I put it down.

Same with Ender's Game, by the third book I was about done.

And finally, Dune. Never got past the first chapter.

I could never get through any of the Enders game books other than shadow of ender and enders game. other than that it justdidnt work well for me.

All Dune books past book one.

I started reading game of thrones, and I am in love.

I wish I had never picked up eragon.

I like Wheel of Time, dont get me wrong. but I find them hard to reread. I like them... but I cant reread crown of swords, COT, WH...

I like to finish books that I start, so I dont have a huge list.

Oh. Sword of Shannara was horrible.

I don't think there's much I couldn't finish:

Dune - I liked the beginning but gave up on the third book

The Legend of Drizzt -a friend gave this to me, I found it terribly boring

Insomnia (Steven King) - I don't even remember it, I just know I started to read it

I almost quit on these, simply because they're so weird, but managed to get through them:

Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town (Cory Doctorow)

The Illuminatus! Trilogy (Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson)

The Divine Comedy - I haven't given up yet, although it's been months since I picked it up. Like slogging through quicksand.

I've tried Malazan here again recently and it has died a slow death once again. The writing is good in terms of "verbage" or word-choice, but the plot just trudges along like molasses. I think the problem with it is that there is hardly no buildup. From page one, you are dropped into this completely strange world with nothing to get your footing on. Words, title, names, and terms are tossed out at the reader without and reference as to who or what they are. Some people may like that, I do not. It seems to be a series that the more re-reads you do, the better it gets because you catch all the little things. Well... what happens when you get get through it the first time before setting it down?

The Divine Comedy is awesome, especially Inferno. Purgatory and Heaven are a bit slower. Perhaps because most of it is inside joke and Italian politics being referenced.

Sword of Shannarra is simply droll.

Malazan: Book of the Fallen is difficult, specifically, Deadhouse Gates (Book 2). I am currently trying to start at Book 1, Gardens of the Moon and it seems to be going ok so far.

That is exactly my list. I STILL am trying to go through Game of Thrones so I have not yet been convinced that it is unfinished, but there is a very good chance that it will have to be added to the list. I just can not summon the motivation to read after watching the series, it feels like a reread even when I'm going through it the first time and I dont find storytelling particularly strong ie: not worth a reread.