DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
chongjasmine

Books you couldn't finish?

The only book so far that I've had to stop, is the Silmarillion By Tolkien. I LOVE LOTR and The Hobbit. Children Of Hurin is constantly being reread. But the Silmarillion? I just couldn't get through it. I fully intend to go back and finish it eventually though! :)

~ Love as Thou Wilt ~

I've been trying to get through Game of Thrones since last November. There isn't anything too terribly wrong with it, but I just can't seem to get motivation to pick it up once I put it down. I have no trouble reading on and on when I pick it up, I just never want to pick it up again when I set it down. I've read 8 other books from January to now and I'm still only half way through GoT.

The Da Vinci Code

Mr. Brown failed to convince me that the secret the society was keeping was that big of a big deal.

A few years later, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Ian McKellen managed to convince me that his character thought it was worth killing for. The book never conveyed that level of emotion to me.

I didn't mind the Da Vinci Code, it was a pretty easy read.

I'm 'reading' (I use the term reading loosely, I've barely picked it up in the last year) the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. But I'm really struggling with it, it doesn't help that the copies I have are very old (original) and the print is blurred + faded in places. It isn't that I don't like the storyline either. I just don't seem to be able to pick it up and actually read it for long and once I put it down I seem to forget about it in favour of other books. I want to know more about the Giant, and less about covenant who I find utterly repulsive as a character.

~ Love as Thou Wilt ~

the 2nd book in the Inheritance Series (Eragon). i got about half way through it and just lost interest.

also gonna have to add LotR's into this one. got halfway through the 1st book and couldn't finish it. Tolkien is just too dry for me.

sadly i have to add in WoT as well, upn re-reads i find myself having trouble getting beyond LoC :sad: whcih sucks becuase i really want to do a full re-read of that series.

I had to force myself to finish Eragon.

The "been there, done that" factor was too high. Well told though -- so kudos to a new, young author. But I could never bring myself to read further into the series.

Edited by Dennis Gray

The Memory of Earth

from Orson Scott Card's Homecoming Saga series.

I only made it about a third of the way through. The whole "Book of Mormon in Space" idea was too overpowering. If you've never read that book those two nice young men dropped off at your house that day you were trying to catch up on some sleep then it probably wasn't a factor. Having read the original (which was probably pretty good religious fantasy for its day), the sci-fi retelling was unbearable.

I didn't mind the Da Vinci Code, it was a pretty easy read.

I'm 'reading' (I use the term reading loosely, I've barely picked it up in the last year) the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. But I'm really struggling with it, it doesn't help that the copies I have are very old (original) and the print is blurred + faded in places. It isn't that I don't like the storyline either. I just don't seem to be able to pick it up and actually read it for long and once I put it down I seem to forget about it in favour of other books. I want to know more about the Giant, and less about covenant who I find utterly repulsive as a character.

~ Love as Thou Wilt ~

I don't like Da Vinci Code. I will not have finished reading that book, if not for my school assignment. I was forced to read Da Vinci Code as part of my study.

I just don't like the book.

Sword of Shannarra is simply droll.

Malazan: Book of the Fallen is difficult, specifically, Deadhouse Gates (Book 2). I am currently trying to start at Book 1, Gardens of the Moon and it seems to be going ok so far.

I can not seam to get through Lord of the Rings. I love the story but I find the writing style to be boring, I know this is a bit sacrilegious to say for a fantasy fan to say but I have a problem staying awake when reading these books.

I have been trying to read Transcendental Magic by Eliphas Levi for years but when I can read the same page five time and even then just don't get what the author is talking about, and I do have experience reading classical occult literature so that is not the problem, then eventually I get frustrated and put the book down.

I couldn't get through Eragon either, or Sword of Shannara.

I've been taking a long break from the Malazan Book of the Fallen... it can be difficult to read, as much as I love it, and I doubt it'll be any easier to follow when I pick it up again after over a year. :P

I gave up on Sword of Truth as well. Just couldn't take it anymore.

ETA: As for the Da Vinci Code, I did read through it even though I didn't care for it, but it was an easy read, only took a couple of hours. It's because it was one of the only English books left in the vacation house. I hate to go without something to read (apparently my backpack of books wasn't enough for a six-week trip) but I was too lazy to read in French. :P

ETA2: Thank God for ereaders, eh? Now I can take 2983984982347823 books on trips without injuring myself or paying extra at the airport. :P

Edited by coldestcaress

The Fellowship of the Ring, Silmarillion - Just... no.

The 6th or 7th Sword of Truth book. I tried, I really tried to read and like these books, but they're the same horrible formula every time. After the chick gets kidnapped for the quintillionth time I tossed the book aside and thought kill the bitch! i don't care!' Especially after just making such a fantastic recovery from a beating that left her broken beyond recognition to the guy who got pissed when she didn't recognize him in the dark. And then CPR brings her back?

Edited by Red2111
edited for content

Same problems it seems. I can't get through the similarin no matter how hard I try. Also Game of Thrones no matter how many times I try I can't get into it. I pick it up then put it down and won't pick it up again. Still not past 200 pages over 2 years (that was one and a half hours of reading 2 years ago haven't touched it since). I didn't have that much trouble with sword of truth but I agree with Evoke it's the same plot line every time. I also had trouble with Inheritance. Last book in The Inheritance Saga and if anyone here finished sword of shara you will agree the ending was a total ripoff of that. I did finish sword of shara but I could never pick up another book in that series. ummm.... and pretty much every other book I have started I finished.

I had to have two tries at Lord of the Rings, but I think that's because I started it too early.

I got about three chapters into the sixth Septimus Heap book and stopped. The series was already a little beyond me, and it just got too erratic. My sister digs on me all the time to finish it, but I always counter by telling her to get on with Lord of Chaos (sad, she stopped in the middle of my favorite book in the series).

the 2nd book in the Inheritance Series (Eragon). i got about half way through it and just lost interest.

I haven't read through the fourth yet, but book 2 of Eragon is definitely the worst.

There are plenty of books I didn't finish, but noteworthy ones are

A Feast for Crows

Malazan

Whatever the first Night Angels is called

Actually, there are a lot of books I have had trouble finishing. I don't force myself to finish books that don't interest me . I give them 100 pages, and if by that time I still don't care about the plot or characters, I give up. I can't just leave them for a while and come back; if it's been more that a month or so I have to start from the beginning or nothing makes sense to me. Also, I usually give away books I don't finish because book space is a precious commodity where I live. A couple of things that are still on my shelf or are otherwise memorable:

Mistborn and Way of Kings--I like what Sanderson has done with WoT, and I liked Elantris a lot, but I think after those two I won't be trying more of his books, and if I do it will be from the library.

A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay--I liked one of his other books, but after three weeks I gave up on this one. That's waaay too long for me when I'm not interested in a book.

Twilight, but that goes without saying. It was recommended to me by a friend, and we stayed friends for a while but I never took another book recommendation from her.

Oh, and I think Crossroads of Twilight took three tries before I made it through.

I can't think of others right now, but I know there are many.

Twilight i could get through so long as i read it for the enjoyment of the character dialouge and situational humor rather than plot or developement. its not a great series, bt it does have a few redeaming qualties.

yeah, WoK's ... i'm still about half way through that one. it has its good points, and i will finish it, but i've got to be in a reading mood to do so and i'm just not in the mood to read anything currently. i'm also halfway through Alloy of Law, but that book i figured i'd have a hard tiem getting through as i didn't like Mistborn.

ah, another one i forgot to mention, the last book in "His Dak Materials" trilogy. i'm halfway through thta and can't muster the want to finish it. the writing style was ultra hard to get used to and the characters aren't relaly that likable. the story is rather interesting though.

oh, yet another one i just recalled. Survivor, Pygmy, Haunted and Stranger than Fiction by Chuck Palantiack(sp), the guy that wrote Fight Club (the movie with Brad Pitt and Edward Norton) i LOVE this author. Choke, Invisible Monsters, Fight Club and Snuff are in the top 20 of my all time fav books. but the first 4 books i mentioned, couldn't get into them. Stranger than Fiction was just blah (the man doesn't write non-fiction stuff very well and should stick to fiction), Huanted and Survivor had decent story lines and plots but i just couldn't get into the book for some reason, and Pygmy, i put that one down due to the writing pose and the content which was more than i could handle and a bit extreme (and saying that about one of Chucks books is saying alot, the mans a genre of his own i tell you)

Only book I've ever been unable to finish is Hilary Mantles Wolf Hall, one of the few arguments I've had with my Mum, as she loved it.

Due to work taking me to some extremely remote places, where book swaps were the only way of having enough to read. One memorable trip the books available were Dan Brown, Inheritence, Wilbur Smith and Chris Ryan, *shudder* (plus Storm of Swords that I took :rolleyes: )