DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Could Egwene turn from the light?

etched Chaos

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After some thought, I wonder if the reason (or, at least one of the reasons) that Rand took the particular tact he did with Egwene (tell her step one of his plan, tell he he doesn't have all the answers, then withdraw without talking) was actually planning for the world after the last battle?

"I will climb this bloody mountain and face the Sun. You all will deal with what comes next"

Rand to Nynaeve, TGS p502

Now that was where Rand was at his lowest, but Rand still expects to die... and even in the even that he lives, the Rand we know from the earlier books likely has no interest in ruling an empire.

Rand already has control of most of the armies that are being summoned, and the remainder are well disposed to him. As Egwene noted, he really doesn't need her permission to Break the Seals, and he could have easily said nothing about the seals. We know its unlikely that Eggy's theory he wants to be stopped (as she tells Gawayn) holds any water. IF Egwene is right, and the a side effect of the nations coming to letters is:

"She was using Rand's proclamation as a beacon to gather and tie the Monarchs to the White Tower."

TOM, page 428

Rand may be pulling a Moiraine, where he is doing her a favor, and the world a favor (well, depending on how you view Egwene :wink: ) in planning for strong, united leadership in the difficult days after the Last Battle; although in a very Aes Sedai fashion, and possibly a needlessly manipulative way...

But, I think other people need to look to their own posts for splitting hairs then as I just went through this from the other end yesterday and a distinction was made between the books and RJ's own words outside of the books.

What thread? Would be interested to check it out...

you saw it and commented on it yesterday

? No idea what you are talking about. A ton of this is quick posts at work so I'm not always paying close attention. Could you point me in the right direction?

Well, just because LTT's plan failed (or rather did not succeed as well as expected), does not mean every bit of it was bad, or that LTT's knowledge of the bore, the DO, and the seals will not come in play at some point. I don't see Min suddenly figuring out everything and explaining in detail to Rand what he must do. I think either she or someone else (perhaps Moiraine) will give him the pieces, and then Rand, with LTT's understanding of the whole thing, will put together the puzzle. He's already been shown to be capable of this with the Cleansing. Of course with him needing to die at some point, I expect it's going to be quite a bit more complicated than this.

Yeah of course and I think you know where I sit with that MA as we have discussed it many times over the years. thisguy seemed to be saying Rand could have done it without Fel in addition to saying it could be as easy as just doing the same thing with both sides of the OP. We know of course neither of those are correct. My point was Rand needed the base of Fel's concept and materials to shape his plan.

Actually, we don't know that. We can't.

Of course we can, it's how the books were written. If he didn't need Fel and his concepts it would have happened a different way. Especially considering with all his knowledge he didn't hit on the right path the first time around.

the books were also written with an infinite number of alternate realities being probabilities.

as for the other - i believe it's on the cadsuane thread

God knows how many time me and suttrree has fought over eggy, but guy. I think that he has the right of it here. After all when RJ says something, it has to be the final arbitration on the subject, He wrote and then killed Fel for a reason. It is a plot thread that is still unresolved. In fact, if you take a closer look, you will find it is the recurring theme of the series. How things have top happen chronologically for things to happen at right time and right place. I can quote one from memory and if you look, you will find plenty of examples. one i can quote is from Rand's POV where he thinks about how daughter heir of Andor had to leave and thinggs had to happen In order for him to be born at the right moment and at right place. May be I am mixing things up, but I guess you get my point lol

As for Eggy dearest turning to shadow. I guess light side cannot get that lucky.

After some thought, I wonder if the reason (or, at least one of the reasons) that Rand took the particular tact he did with Egwene (tell her step one of his plan, tell he he doesn't have all the answers, then withdraw without talking) was actually planning for the world after the last battle?

"I will climb this bloody mountain and face the Sun. You all will deal with what comes next"

Rand to Nynaeve, TGS p502

Now that was where Rand was at his lowest, but Rand still expects to die... and even in the even that he lives, the Rand we know from the earlier books likely has no interest in ruling an empire.

Rand already has control of most of the armies that are being summoned, and the remainder are well disposed to him. As Egwene noted, he really doesn't need her permission to Break the Seals, and he could have easily said nothing about the seals. We know its unlikely that Eggy's theory he wants to be stopped (as she tells Gawayn) holds any water. IF Egwene is right, and the a side effect of the nations coming to letters is:

"She was using Rand's proclamation as a beacon to gather and tie the Monarchs to the White Tower."

TOM, page 428

Rand may be pulling a Moiraine, where he is doing her a favor, and the world a favor (well, depending on how you view Egwene :wink: ) in planning for strong, united leadership in the difficult days after the Last Battle; although in a very Aes Sedai fashion, and possibly a needlessly manipulative way...

I agree that he doesn't want to be stopped, O always took it as him using Egwene to bring everyone together. People were more likely to listen to the Amyrlin seat than to the Dragon Reborn. Besides, he may hope that she can plan something. However all we see is a strong opposition, but no better plan that Rand could use, coming form Egwene.

found something interesting, from the very first when she gets put into amyrlin position, she actively places rand as an enemy to the AS, one that is very dangerous.

Was it an enemy to the Aes Sedai or to her power? Late in the series all we see from Egwene talks about her power or influence concerning the other Aes Sedai.

Edit: Suttree beat me to it. I would also like to see the context and the actual quote.

found something interesting, from the very first when she gets put into amyrlin position, she actively places rand as an enemy to the AS, one that is very dangerous.

Quote and context? We know that isn't how she views him after all.

talking to sheriam, to help initiate the movement of AS

"Apparently, Rand would like us all to come to him in Caemlyn. There was some mention of oaths of fealty."

Archived