DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Machin Shin and Mashadar

SBoydW

Just want to get opinions about this theory which most definatley could be way off so please tear it to shreads if you can.... but be nice :)

I believe that it's possible that Machin Shin,in The Ways, is a twisted offspring of Mashadar, in Shadar Logoth.

We all know that Mashadar kills people by some kind of consumption of the body and that Machin Shin devours your sould and leaves you as a dried husk.

I believe that after Aridhol became Shadar Logoth due to Mashadar and the other evil, that Mashadar got into The Ways somehow, but because the ways are so different than the real world it was mutated.

Now it's believed that Machin Shin was a result of the Taint on Sadin, but I thought that the taint affected the peron not what they weace using the power. We see numerous time the taint affecting the persons but not the weaves of Sadin. So if that is the case then how could Machin Shin be a result of the Taint?

I thought the stuff in the Ways was the taint brought to life. Kind of how in the Blight everything can kill, tainted, like the Ways. Since the Ways are dfferent, and the ammount of power used in it, the taint manifested itself to consume more, and taint others to spread in the same aspect as mashadar. I could be completely wrong as well, but that is my opinion.

Guest cwestervelt

I think the connection has been theorized before. Not sure where I stand on the issue.

It has some merit, but I don't know if it has enough...

1) If the corruption of the ways was due to the Taint, why did it take so long to start, then go so fast? According to the BWB, the darkenning of the ways began, or at least wasn't noticeable, during the War of the Hundred years, after Hawkwing's death. They were safe to use for 2000 some odd years.

2) Fain's apparent affinity to Machin Shin.

Given Fain's affinity for Machin Shin, and the fact that so far the taint has not had a noticeable effect on what a man does with the Power, just on his mind, I think it's likely, if hard to explain, that Machin Shin and the corruption of the ways is linked to Shadar Lagoth and Mashadar. Fain may be sadistic and everything...but that isn't enough to explain him being able to set Machin Shin as a guard, or, if you don't believe he is responsible for that, he couldn't have survived it w/o having some sort of affinity for it.

~V1zharan~

Archived