DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The duality of the (True/One)Powers

Ferdawoon

Something that struck me earlier while reading a post over at the aMoL-forum was about the dualities of the One Power and the True Power.

Sorry in advance for this really messy post. Again I'm adding sentences everywhere and my thoughts are not really clear enough on the matter to even formulate a proper question :rolleyes:

We know that the One Power is something that power the world (the Wheel?) to continue existing and that its two parts work together and at the same time they fight each other. We also know about the Yin-Yang symbol used to picture the One Power: :aessedai:

We also know that the Creator is seen as the creating force in the universe and that the Dark One is the destructive force. Basicly, they can be considered to be a part of a Yin-Yang symbol. Sure, all we have to go by so far is folklore that the inhabitants of the WoT universe have told us through the books. No one have really just gone out and asked the Creator or the Dark One how everything works.

What we dont know though is: Is the Creator a purely creative force and the Dark One a purely destructive force? Do they have their own dualities?

As far as I know, we have never really got any hard evidence if the One Power is connected to the Creator in a similar manner to how the True Power is connected to the Dark One. We have, however, heard RJ (or was it BS?) quotes on how Rand at some events channeling power and light is significant.

So, could it be that the Light is a power drawn from the Creator granted to his chosen champion, in the same way the Dark One let his selected few followers use his True Power? Could the One Power then basicly be a middleground? Could the One Power be that line between the White tear-Creator and the Black fang-Dark One? In constant turmoil and with power from both sides leaking into it.

A bit like brackish water. The Creator is fresh water while the Dark One is the salty seawater and the One Power is a mix if them both?

Do we have three Powers? The True Power, the One Power, and a Power comming straight from the Creator that enable someone to channel "power and light"?

Or do the True Power (and a possible power originating from the Creator) have their own dualities within them?

I can see the duality of the One Power Yin-Yang. That it can be seen to represent that it can be used for both Creation and Destruction, and that it is split up into Saidin and Saidar for men and women. It is also easy to see how the dark fang represent the men and destruction due to the taint and the resulting devastation of the world, but it can also represent the Dark One and the Creator circling each other.

I recall reading somewhere though that the Creator was considered a Gardener who planted his crops, gave it a nudge and saw it start to grow. Then built a fence to stop animals and annoying children from comming in to step on everything and eat it up. After this, he just go on to a new field to work on that. This means there are multiple worlds (parallell worlds or mirror worlds, can never remember which is the name for the possible outcomes of different actions and decisions and which is the name for the independent worlds and realms..).

My question is basicly what I want to get sorted out in my head: How do these powers and the Yin-Yang:ness of them really work? :huh:

Something that struck me earlier while reading a post over at the aMoL-forum was about the dualities of the One Power and the True Power.

Sorry in advance for this really messy post. Again I'm adding sentences everywhere and my thoughts are not really clear enough on the matter to even formulate a proper question :rolleyes:

We know that the One Power is something that power the world (the Wheel?) to continue existing and that its two parts work together and at the same time they fight each other. We also know about the Yin-Yang symbol used to picture the One Power: :aessedai:

We also know that the Creator is seen as the creating force in the universe and that the Dark One is the destructive force. Basicly, they can be considered to be a part of a Yin-Yang symbol. Sure, all we have to go by so far is folklore that the inhabitants of the WoT universe have told us through the books. No one have really just gone out and asked the Creator or the Dark One how everything works.

What we dont know though is: Is the Creator a purely creative force and the Dark One a purely destructive force? Do they have their own dualities?

As far as I know, we have never really got any hard evidence if the One Power is connected to the Creator in a similar manner to how the True Power is connected to the Dark One. We have, however, heard RJ (or was it BS?) quotes on how Rand at some events channeling power and light is significant.

So, could it be that the Light is a power drawn from the Creator granted to his chosen champion, in the same way the Dark One let his selected few followers use his True Power? Could the One Power then basicly be a middleground? Could the One Power be that line between the White tear-Creator and the Black fang-Dark One? In constant turmoil and with power from both sides leaking into it.

A bit like brackish water. The Creator is fresh water while the Dark One is the salty seawater and the One Power is a mix if them both?

Do we have three Powers? The True Power, the One Power, and a Power comming straight from the Creator that enable someone to channel "power and light"?

Or do the True Power (and a possible power originating from the Creator) have their own dualities within them?

I can see the duality of the One Power Yin-Yang. That it can be seen to represent that it can be used for both Creation and Destruction, and that it is split up into Saidin and Saidar for men and women. It is also easy to see how the dark fang represent the men and destruction due to the taint and the resulting devastation of the world, but it can also represent the Dark One and the Creator circling each other.

I recall reading somewhere though that the Creator was considered a Gardener who planted his crops, gave it a nudge and saw it start to grow. Then built a fence to stop animals and annoying children from comming in to step on everything and eat it up. After this, he just go on to a new field to work on that. This means there are multiple worlds (parallell worlds or mirror worlds, can never remember which is the name for the possible outcomes of different actions and decisions and which is the name for the independent worlds and realms..).

My question is basicly what I want to get sorted out in my head: How do these powers and the Yin-Yang:ness of them really work? :huh:

INTERVIEW: Oct 13th, 2005

KOD Signing Report - Basri (Paraphrased)

BASRI

During the signing, I got to ask whether there exists a type of balance or opposite to the True Power the way there is with saidar and saidin.

ROBERT JORDAN

He said no, and described how they are different, mostly stuff that is already known. The two sides of the One Power being different and from the Creator and keeping the Wheel turning and all that. He did mention that when a channeler uses a weave (either saidar or saidin) and releases the weave, the Power flows back into the available pool of saidar or saidin. It is never used up, and so it is like an infinite reservoir of Power. The True Power is not like this at all. The True Power comes from the Dark One of course.

The two sides of the One Power being different and from the Creator and keeping the Wheel turning and all that.

But do this mean that the One Power is from the Creator in the same or a similar way that the True Power is from the Dark One? Are Aes Sedai and Asha'man channeling the power that is the Creator? Or did the creator simply create this pool of power to keep the wheel spinning? How can he create multiple worlds if he need to let his won energy be the one that makes them live?

The two sides of the One Power being different and from the Creator and keeping the Wheel turning and all that.

But do this mean that the One Power is from the Creator in the same or a similar way that the True Power is from the Dark One? Are Aes Sedai and Asha'man channeling the power that is the Creator? Or did the creator simply create this pool of power to keep the wheel spinning? How can he create multiple worlds if he need to let his won energy be the one that makes them live?

I was looking for author quotes to answer your question. I was pretty sure I had seen an RJ quote last week saying that the Creator does not have a Light power to balance the TP. While searching last night all I could find was RAFO answers.

I was looking for author quotes to answer your question. I was pretty sure I had seen an RJ quote last week saying that the Creator does not have a Light power to balance the TP. While searching last night all I could find was RAFO answers.

Which is why I wonder if there are three Powers, as I believe (but cant find the quotes right now) that Rand channeling light and power have a meaning. He do it at the Eye, and now especially after his epiphany with all the Darkfriends saying they cant stand the light..

Then, if there is a Light Power comming right from the creator like the True Power comes from the Dark One, is the One Power is some form of middle ground that are either part of both the Creator and the Dark one, or is it separated from them both? Did one of them, or both, create the One Power? Is it a side product of the Creator's and the Dark One's existance? Do the Creator and the Dark one come from the One Power?

Some quotes that may help. No real answers, but perhaps some hints.

INTERVIEW: Jan 18th, 2003

COT Signing Report - Tallis (Paraphrased)

ROBERT JORDAN

Rand has no direct connection with the Creator. The Creator is completely removed from the world; aside from...creating...the Pattern, he does nothing else whatsoever to influence anything.

INTERVIEW: Sep, 1996

SFX Magazine Interview (Paraphrased)

ROBERT JORDAN

Thirdly, in defeating the Dark One, the good guys can expect absolutely no help off the Creator, and no miracles will occur.

INTERVIEW: Jun 21st, 1996

ACOS Signing Report - Brian Ritchie

ROBERT JORDAN

The universe is driven by saidin and saidar working against each other. They will not end up as the Light Power.

Archived