DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sunrunner or Channeler

Ive always wondered wich would be a better magic form to have, if you were able to have one. Now a sunrunner is a highly adept psychic that is able to basically throw out there mind on streams of sunlight moonlight and starlight. They are very powerfull people from Melanie Rawns Dragon Prince series. It all has to do with colors of the mind that each persons mind signature is based on colors kinda like jewel tones. the one drawback is though that you need the various lights to be able to do your thing. It is instantaous, they can do everything a channeler can do and some other things that they cant. At the highest form they do not need any type of light to conjure, and they are pretty badass mofos. They can rip your mind with just a simple thought or stop your heart, conjure horrible creatures that dont exist in any form, its all illiusion, but so porwefull of an illusion it drives you insane. They can also link just like a channeler, a vast tapestry of light making the power greater as a whole.

Now a channeler can do many many things along the same lines, but they dont need any light just the knowledge of the weaves. I dont know how many on here have ever read the books or even heard of them. It is my second favorite series of all time.

I guess what i am trying to say is which would you want to be and who do you think would win in a duel.

I honestly think that a fully trained Sunrunner would beat a channeler any day of the week. Because in the few seconds that it takes to form the weaves a sunrunner could blast the mind with pure energy or call a bolt of light to blast them to cinders. Or any other type of devasting thing.

Everyone elses imput would be grand.

DAMN IT! I've been trying to remember the name of that series for nearly 2 decades now! THANK YOU!

Some of the best books i have ever read and they are all in ebook form i do belive i know i have the first 3 on my kindle. I also have copys of both in paperback and hardback. The few times i have actually cried when a main character dies, and still do every time i read them.

Edited to add: You are more than welcome Vardarmus.

DAMN IT! I've been trying to remember the name of that series for nearly 2 decades now! THANK YOU!

Some of the best books i have ever read and they are all in ebook form i do belive i know i have the first 3 on my kindle. I also have copys of both in paperback and hardback. The few times i have actually cried when a main character dies, and still do every time i read them.

Edited to add: You are more than welcome Vardarmus.

I had the books, but I lost them in the early 90's and while I can fully recall the story, I couldn't for the life of me recall the name of the magic system, I just knew they were powered by the sun and iron while casting killed them.

Time to DL the Ebooks tonight. I've been trying to keep busy from picking back up on my reread on book 5.

It's hard to compare two different magic systems like that, but from what you are saying it sounds like the Sunrunners would win as it sounds flat out more powerful.

The thing is they really don't have a defense against one another. In WoT a channeler can counter a channeler and I would assume the same with the Sunrunners. Unless they were put in an arena and just told to kill each other it's hard to declare a winner. Both have methods of mind control and killing so it probably depends on which has the initiative vs the other.

It's hard to compare two different magic systems like that, but from what you are saying it sounds like the Sunrunners would win as it sounds flat out more powerful.

The thing is they really don't have a defense against one another. In WoT a channeler can counter a channeler and I would assume the same with the Sunrunners. Unless they were put in an arena and just told to kill each other it's hard to declare a winner. Both have methods of mind control and killing so it probably depends on which has the initiative vs the other.

Well the channelers can throw iron at the Sunrunners, and piece their skin.

That would work.... unless they have the sorcerer blood in them, then it would only hurt and not kill.

That would work.... unless they have the sorcerer blood in them, then it would only hurt and not kill.

I can't remember eveything about the series, just the main parts (Like the halfbloods and such) but I thought a channelers powers of the physical was much more than a sunrunners.

I remember reading these books and that I loved them, I can't remember the in's and out's of Sunrunning so can't comment on who would win between the two systems,

I do remember that there are some other similarities to WoT, an 'Old Tongue', Desert people, Sunrunners Oaths.

But I also seem to remember that the story isn't finished we were left at the end of the second trilogy with a cliffhanger????

I may be wrong, please correct me if I am.

Either way they were a great read, and as I finished my last WoT reread last week, Maybe just the thing to fill in some of the time from now to Jan 8th 2013 :)

I remember reading these books and that I loved them, I can't remember the in's and out's of Sunrunning so can't comment on who would win between the two systems,

I do remember that there are some other similarities to WoT, an 'Old Tongue', Desert people, Sunrunners Oaths.

But I also seem to remember that the story isn't finished we were left at the end of the second trilogy with a cliffhanger????

Either way they were a great read, and as I finished my last WoT reread last week, Maybe just the thing to fill in some of the time from now to Jan 8th 2013 :)

Not really a cliffhanger but she did leave in the possibility of a few more books it seemed to me. But i dont think she will ever write in that world again. She had another series called the Ruins of Ambri that was going to be 3 books. I have been waiting on the last book for so many years and i do belive that she said that she will never finish it.

Not really a cliffhanger but she did leave in the possibility of a few more books it seemed to me. But i dont think she will ever write in that world again. She had another series called the Ruins of Ambri that was going to be 3 books. I have been waiting on the last book for so many years and i do belive that she said that she will never finish it.

Pol was imprisoned or his mother had just saved him?

But at the end the whole continent was at war with an invasion force?

There was nothing resolved in the last book as I remember?

I felt the second trilogy was to transition from Rohan to Pol, but it would be Pol's story of the fight to regain the continent.

I has been 20 years since I read these books so forgive if I have remembered it all wrong.

I have always felt like it was left unfinished.

Pol was imprisoned or his mother had just saved him?

But at the end the whole continent was at war with an invasion force?

There was nothing resolved in the last book as I remember?

I felt the second trilogy was to transition from Rohan to Pol, but it would be Pol's story of the fight to regain the continent.

I has been 20 years since I read these books so forgive if I have remembered it all wrong.

I have always felt like it was left unfinished.

Pol whoops everyones ass in the last book took everyones colors and joined them all with the dragons into one huge tapestry of power to beat the Vellatim

All I can remember is the annoying melodrama and the incessant near-rape and actual rape scenes, but nothing much of the magic system.

Yah thats one thing about that series... it was deff leaning towards the romance type of fantasy in a lot of ways. Still love them though more so than the Wheel of Time.

All I can remember is the annoying melodrama and the incessant near-rape and actual rape scenes, but nothing much of the magic system.

Yah thats one thing about that series... it was deff leaning towards the romance type of fantasy in a lot of ways. Still love them though more so than the Wheel of Time.

I personally never saw much romance in drug-induced rape, but that could be just me.

I personally never saw much romance in drug-induced rape, but that could be just me.

No not that part hahahahah. that is deff not romantic at all more along of the lines of crazy psychopath. I mean more along the lines of Rohan and Sioned finding each other, and the love that they had for each other.

I think ruins of ambri are the ones im familiar with. I read the first book when i was around 11 and then spent the next 18 years trying to remember who wrote it and the name and everything, all i could remember was what the cover looked like. Then I was walking through barnes and noble and caught it out of the corner of my eye. I was pretty stoked on that.

And on a side note last night i found out about 2 more books in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series that I didn't know about...I liked those books when i was young so i was pretty happy to find out there were a couple i didn't know about.

I think ruins of ambri are the ones im familiar with. I read the first book when i was around 11 and then spent the next 18 years trying to remember who wrote it and the name and everything, all i could remember was what the cover looked like. Then I was walking through barnes and noble and caught it out of the corner of my eye. I was pretty stoked on that.

And on a side note last night i found out about 2 more books in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series that I didn't know about...I liked those books when i was young so i was pretty happy to find out there were a couple i didn't know about.

i was very disapointed with Mealine Rawn over not finishing the Ambri series great books with a good plot and magical points. Something along the lines of a mental breakdown, and having to ask readers what had happened in the prevoius stories, made her decide not to do the last one. Now i just look at the 2 books i have and shake my head.

There are some really cool magic systems out there. I haven't read the one you guys are talking about though. The one I'm really looking forward to personally is Stormlight 2. I can't wait to see what Brandon does with that magic system. I knew I was going to love that series right from the first chapter when Szeth assassinates the king. So awesome.

Another (somewhat) similar one is Brent Weeks Black Prism series. Drafting colors into stuff is pretty cool. But i especially approve of the Stormlight system.

There is a very clear Jordan influence on Brent Weeks' work. The Chandry, for instance, remind me deeply of the Aes Sedai. Whatsherface is very Verin-like.

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the Exalted tabletop RPG by White Wolf, but a lot of the things in the Stormlight world reminded me of Exalted- the over the top fight scenes like Szeth storming the castle, the spren (Exalted has little spirits and gods for everything), the magical armor and weapons powered by mystical energies that would be unusable by a normal mortal, reviled heroes of old that supposedly betrayed the people being reborn to save the world once again (Knights Radiant=Solar Exalted). Lot's of things. Not that it's a bad thing, I've played several excellent Exalted games over the years so when I started into Stormlight it hit me very well. I've wanted some good novels set in the Exalted world for a long time, and Stormlight is just as good, if not better.

Another (somewhat) similar one is Brent Weeks Black Prism series. Drafting colors into stuff is pretty cool. But i especially approve of the Stormlight system.

There is a very clear Jordan influence on Brent Weeks' work. The Chandry, for instance, remind me deeply of the Aes Sedai. Whatsherface is very Verin-like.

I have seen that too, but Im interested if you can connect the Night Angel series to Jordan?

I have seen that too, but Im interested if you can connect the Night Angel series to Jordan?

In what way? I mean the thematics and worldbuilding influence are fairly clear--not copying, mind, I just think its evident that Weeks was a Jordan fan and that shows in his work (which just shows the man has good taste, lol)

Archived