DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Healing Stilling and Conduits

Knivy

Now that healing stilling has become possible, it would seem that the next step would be building a conduit for a non-channeler.

The logic behind this being that if it is possible to repair a conduit with 100% ability retention, then it must be a perfect fix. If you can make a perfect fix, then you should be able to build a completely new one.

Correct me if Im wrong in thinking that the only thing one needs to channel is that conduit.

Your thoughts?

INTERVIEW: Nov 1st, 1998

SciFi.com Chat (Verbatim)

Here's a longish question from Linda that somehow fell in between the cracks... Part One from Linda: Since the ability to channel seems to be primarily linked to the soul, if a channeler is gentled/stilled, will this affect his/hers soul in a follow life as well, as in, will the ability to channel still be lost? Did THAT come through??

ROBERT JORDAN

No.

Hmmmmm.. Linda, I TRIED.

ROBERT JORDAN

(that was the answer...the answer is no)

Oh!! Duh!

NEPTUNE

I think Linda is asking if the soul is immortal in Jordan's world.

So...is it??

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes, the soul is immortal.

So the ability is separate from the conduit? So could there be people without conduits but the ability, or people with the ability to sense without a conduit?

There are three types of people (ok maybe four)...

1. Normal people that will never learn how to channel because their soul is not designated as a channeler.

2a. People that can be taught to channel, but will probably never channel on their own. On rare instances, they may channel without knowing it, for example, in an emergency or dire need.

2b. People that can be taught to channel, and they probably channel often without really knowing it. People like this are often labeled as "lucky".

3. People that can channel without being taught.

So the ability is separate from the conduit? So could there be people without conduits but the ability, or people with the ability to sense without a conduit?

There are three types of people (ok maybe four)...

1. Normal people that will never learn how to channel because their soul is not designated as a channeler.

2a. People that can be taught to channel, but will probably never channel on their own. On rare instances, they may channel without knowing it, for example, in an emergency or dire need.

2b. People that can be taught to channel, and they probably channel often without really knowing it. People like this are often labeled as "lucky".

3. People that can channel without being taught.

More like

1. Yes,

3. Yes

For 2. The only learners who sometimes spontaneously channel as far as we know, are sul'dams with long experience. Otherwise, learners have to be taught.

The "lucky" are the spontaneous "sparkers" who will channel sometime anyhow. Also called wilders.by AS.

Channelling is tied to the soul. You either have or you don't.

It depends. A lot of Ter'angreal were made for non-channelers to enable them to use the one power, if only in a specific way. We've seen hints at the bearded man that stores music or many stories, and many more. Likely the jocars and flutter wings allowed anyone to use them.

It depends. A lot of Ter'angreal were made for non-channelers to enable them to use the one power, if only in a specific way. We've seen hints at the bearded man that stores music or many stories, and many more. Likely the jocars and flutter wings allowed anyone to use them.

AOL tech was powered by the OP. That does not mean non-channelers were channeling.

Now that healing stilling has become possible, it would seem that the next step would be building a conduit for a non-channeler.

The logic behind this being that if it is possible to repair a conduit with 100% ability retention, then it must be a perfect fix. If you can make a perfect fix, then you should be able to build a completely new one.

Correct me if Im wrong in thinking that the only thing one needs to channel is that conduit.

Your thoughts?

Think of the conduit as a massive tube attached to the person extending to another universe. When stilled, the tube is cut where it attaches to the person, so they can still see the tube, and since Nynaeve, they can now get someone to re-connect the tube to the person.

However, they cannot create the tube itself, because it extends far past anything that someone can sense or reach to build.

AOL tech was powered by the OP. That does not mean non-channelers were channeling.

Just because I can use an iPod or operate a flashlight don't mean I can channel electricity from my surroundings to power it.

Archived