DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What role do you imagine Mordeth's power plays in the Wheel?

Zorlon

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do see it?

• I like the way you see it.
    • No, I see it another way. More like....
    • Repeat to yourself "it's just a show, I should really just relax"

I imagine Mordeth as the intended enemy for the world of the books.

When I first read through the books I imagined the DO to be an intruding outside force that was never intended to be there, and Mordeth's power as what was intended to play the role of Big Bad through the ages. Hence the Forsaken calling it "an old enemy, an old friend"

Enemy because both Evils are vying for the same position(and may occasionally work together), friend because they're both working for Evil purposes.

Elan's musings about Sha'rah left me with the impression the Wheel was set up to interact with the DO, and designed around his continuous intrusions like a game board between the DO and the Creator. The Creator gets to build it, then the DO gets to try screwing it up beyond repair.

This thread http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/73678-dark-one-thread-in-the-pattern-or-external-being/ makes it clear my view is a minority one, perhaps a minority of one.

So, seeing as the DO was the agent of change from one age to the next in both ages we've seen any significant portion of(and, by all information is so in those ages through every turning of the Wheel), if the Wheel is not built to involve him, the question remains what would act as the agent of change. This brings me back to seeing the DO as an outside intruder never intended to be involved, and Mordeth's power as the intended threat.

This is what i imagine Mordeth's role to be. What do you imagine it to be?

I mustn't have read your last post in that thread. I agree with your reasoning there, if not totally.

The Creator built the Pattern with the knowledge that the DO would try to destroy it until he does, or is restrained.

With that in mind, the Pattern would have been built to account for it. After all, the Pattern is covered with an anti-DO seal (or the DO is sealed away, whatever way you chose to look at it)

So I think that yes, the Pattern is designed around the DO to some extent.

I don't think that it is designed with pre-set Age markers. Like, an age doesn't have a time limit. One age could last for 1000 years, another for 10,000. So I don't think that the DO is allowed access every 10,000 years or something.

I think that is is more like, yes, the DO will always find a way into the Pattern, and when that happens, it signals a new age.

This time round the 3rd Age lasted 3000 odd years, but I don't think that this is a set thing. Next turning it could last 4,000, or 2,000 or something else.

My basic point, the events mark the end/beginning of ages, not the time limit is reached, which triggers events, which then triggers the age ending/beginning

Mat will throw the ruby dagger into the bore and Mordeth will jump in after it, before being consumed in lava... oops no wrong book ;-)

Mordeth in a sense is a kingmaker, if he throws his lot against someone they win, if he fights both all three sides remain balanced. But yeah I agree with thisguy he will probably have some involvement in sealing it.

Archived