DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

aCoS

jwood01

Just finished re-reading aCoS.

Best Scene: Tie. Getting the bowl of the winds in the Rahad AND Shaido getting dropped right in front of Rand's army.

Worst Scene: None come to mind.

Most Intriguing Development: The introduction of Moridin/Watcher/Wanderer.

Most Disapointing Development: Sammael getting killed by Mashadar in SL. Just felt like a cop out plotwise.

Things I had forgotten: A wall falling on Mat in Ebou Dar while he was looking for Olver.

Anyone else at this point in their pre-aMoL reread?

I literally just finished pg 70 last night. So, you're about a book ahead of me. Aside for most of the bowl of winds stuff, I don't have much memory of the book.

Me too. A lot of the things that happen, I thought happened in later books.

I literally just finished pg 70 last night. So, you're about a book ahead of me. Aside for most of the bowl of winds stuff, I don't have much memory of the book.

Me too. A lot of the things that happen, I thought happened in later books.

So much in my mind is either scrambled or forgotten. It's a lot of material which came out over decades. Gonna happen. :)

Just finished re-reading aCoS.

Best Scene: Tie. Getting the bowl of the winds in the Rahad AND Shaido getting dropped right in front of Rand's army.

Worst Scene: None come to mind.

Most Intriguing Development: The introduction of Moridin/Watcher/Wanderer.

Most Disapointing Development: Sammael getting killed by Mashadar in SL. Just felt like a cop out plotwise.

Things I had forgotten: A wall falling on Mat in Ebou Dar while he was looking for Olver.

Anyone else at this point in their pre-aMoL reread?

About Sammael...was it established why the DO couldn't bring him back? Was it that Mashadar ate his soul or something? Otherwise it would have been interesting to see him come back. He did a lot more than even Rhavin and Rhavin actually accomplished things by setting up rule and challenging Rand.

About Sammael...was it established why the DO couldn't bring him back? Was it that Mashadar ate his soul or something? Otherwise it would have been interesting to see him come back. He did a lot more than even Rhavin and Rhavin actually accomplished things by setting up rule and challenging Rand.

Brandon finally told us that it was because of Mashadar. Before that, I figured it still counted as "death outside time" because balefire was involved, even if it hadn't hit Sammael directly. And there were probably other theories too.

I reread over the last x months and i remember much of what happened but not where in the books usually. I read too fast though :P I finished ToM recently :P aCoS was a good book though.

Mashadar probably corrupts the soul and doesn't just kill which it touches. So the soul is no use for being re used.

My favorite part is when he realizes that he was backed into a corner and by elayne and nynaeve during the arguement with the windfinders, and had to curse out the windfinders to get things done.

This was my third favourite part of aCoS. The Sea Folk had no idea what hit them. BAM! Taverened!

I'm surprised that you don't point out Mat and Elayne's growing friendship, or Mat / Birgitte, or his bargain with the Windfinders.

Mat and Elayne's growing friendship? You mean when she finally SINCERELY apologizes and thanks him in the Rahad after he fights the Gholam? That part is included in my choice for best scene.

Mat's bargain with the windfinders was my third fav scene.

Mat drinking with Birgitte and then Birgitte;s ensueing conversation with Elayne and Nyn was indeed memorable. Especially considering how badly Elayne and Nyn treated him in LoC.

Brandon finally told us that it was because of Mashadar. Before that, I figured it still counted as "death outside time" because balefire was involved, even if it hadn't hit Sammael directly. And there were probably other theories too.

Sammuel's death scene was such a disapointment to me. The confrontation between Rand and Sammuel had been built up to for TWO whole books, and we don't even get to see Sammuel die? For some reason this was much more disapointing to me during this reread than in past rereads for some reason; maybe I always hoped that Sammuel would make a reappearance in the series.

On my reread, I've found that aCoS is one of my favorites, possible the favorite after tSR. There's lost of comedy in Ebou Dar, and it has three of my favorite scenes in all the books:

1. Mat and Birgitte figure each other's secrets out.

2. Nynaeve overcomes her block

3. Elayne takes charge of the Ebou Dar Aes Sedai

BTW, the book has its own dedicated thread here:

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/8048-i-cant-think-of-a-catchy-title-a-crown-of-swordsquot/

I'm on this one in my re-read too. I have about 250 pages left. Just finished the first chapter where Mat has moved into the Tarasin Palace and is trying to avoid Tylin's frivolous behavior.

So far I really like the Mindtrap chapter. It gives us our first description of Moridin, but we receive a viewpoint from Moridin as a watcher who spies on Sammael and Graendal at the meeting with Sevanna and the Shaido a few chapters prior.

And I like the scene where Nynaeve and Elayne are first taken to the Kin and Reanne Corley and everyone believes they're not Aes Sedai, and a few chapters later when Nynaeve and Elayne come back with the Aes Sedai from the Tarasin Palace and then the Kin realizes they were wrong and had abused real Aes Sedai.

So far I really like the Mindtrap chapter. It gives us our first description of Moridin, but we receive a viewpoint from Moridin as a watcher who spies on Sammael and Graendal at the meeting with Sevanna and the Shaido a few chapters prior.

When do we find out that Moridin is the watcher? I always thought it was Shadar Haran. I could be wrong I only just started my first reread and probably missed it the first time.

When do we find out that Moridin is the watcher? I always thought it was Shadar Haran. I could be wrong I only just started my first reread and probably missed it the first time.

The same time we find out that Moridin is Ishamael in a new body. I can't recall off the top of my head if the Prologue of TPoD 'Deceptive Appearances' makes it completely clear, but I think it's shown beyond doubt in TPoD chapter 2 'Unweaving'. The watcher uses the TP, has knowledge of other forsaken as if he's known them for years, and calls things what they were called in the Age of Legends. For that part of the story only Ishamael/Moridin fits the criteria.

The same time we find out that Moridin is Ishamael in a new body. I can't recall off the top of my head if the Prologue of TPoD 'Deceptive Appearances' makes it completely clear, but I think it's shown beyond doubt in TPoD chapter 2 'Unweaving'. The watcher uses the TP, has knowledge of other forsaken as if he's known them for years, and calls things what they were called in the Age of Legends. For that part of the story only Ishamael/Moridin fits the criteria.

Thanks I found it now

On my reread, I've found that aCoS is one of my favorites, possible the favorite after tSR. There's lost of comedy in Ebou Dar, and it has three of my favorite scenes in all the books:

1. Mat and Birgitte figure each other's secrets out.

2. Nynaeve overcomes her block

3. Elayne takes charge of the Ebou Dar Aes Sedai

BTW, the book has its own dedicated thread here:

http://www.dragonmou...-of-swordsquot/

Three of my favourite scenes in the entire series, but you missed the best of all the Ebou Dar scenes.

There had to be another set of stairs back there. Maybe he could follow them down at a distance. Maybe.... Just before the doorway they had come out of, Vanin made another effort to stand, and fell back. Mat bit back a curse. Lugging Vanin was going to slow him, but if his luck was in.... It had not saved Elayne, but maybe.... From the corner of his eye, he saw her move, lifting a hand to her head.

The man in the gray coat saw it, too. With a smile, he turned toward her.

Sighing, Mat tucked the useless knife into its scabbard. "You can't have her," he said loudly. Promises. One jerk broke the leather cord around his neck; the silver foxhead dangled a foot below his fist. It made a low hum as he whirled it in a double loop. "You can't bloody have her." He started forward, keeping the medallion spinning. The first step was the hardest, but he had a promise to keep.

Archived