DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

something i was wondering about mat and the horn

rettus

Ok so I know that the horn is linked with somebody until they die, so my question is since mat died twice is he still technically linked with it? I know that Rahvin was balefired and mat came back from being dead. Is there any chance that he could have lost the connection or does it really not matter?

I think he is still linked to the horn. Rahvin was balefired so Matt dying did not happen. Thus the horn would never become unlinked to him.

This is true, but I thought he was technically dead at Rhuidean after being hung.

On somewhat of a side note - did any of the Forsaken or other high ranking baddies call him the horn blower or anything after that? I don't remember.

I think he is still linked to the horn. Rahvin was balefired so Matt dying did not happen. Thus the horn would never become unlinked to him.

This is true, but I thought he was technically dead at Rhuidean after being hung.

On somewhat of a side note - did any of the Forsaken or other high ranking baddies call him the horn blower or anything after that? I don't remember.

Per RJ him dying in Caemlyn counts and he was never dead in Rhuidean. No matter that he was killed by balefire Rand remembers him being dead.

I'm not sure but I believe somebody already said that RJ said that Matt dieing in Ceamlyn wasn't his to die and live again event. I believe he did die in Rhuidean after being hung, and I believe that his connection to the horn was severed with that Death. I can see somebody intercepting the Horn possibly Fain and blowing it at the last battle...then Matt and possibly Brigittia going after Fain and killing him, an reblowing the horn...that's what I see happening anyway

I'm not sure but I believe somebody already said that RJ said that Matt dieing in Ceamlyn wasn't his to die and live again event. I believe he did die in Rhuidean after being hung, and I believe that his connection to the horn was severed with that Death.

You have that backwards, it was the exact opposite.

Interview: Apr 5th, 1996Balticon XXX - Bill Garrett (Paraphrased)

Robert Jordan

Mat's amulet blocks both saidin and saidar. Jordan answered this one straight-out when asked. He pointed out that the amulet only blocks actual weavings of the One Power, not the physical effects that could be caused by a weaving. For example, Elayne was able to use the One Power to hurl a rock at Mat. Rahvin was able to create a bolt of lightning which struck Mat. (Jordan noted that Mat's death by lightning and subsequent undoing of his death when Rand balefired Rahvin, fulfills a prophecy about living, dying, and then living again.)

Why do all three, Rand, Matt, and Perrin think that each other understands and can converse with women better than themselves?

Because they all felt awkward growing up when it came to women and each saw the other have some luck and so the other must know what they're doing. I understand it well, actually. To me it was very real to life. I remember having conversations with friends growing up when each of us thought one of the other were better with women, etc, etc.

To die and live again occurred in Caemlyn. In Rhuidean he was "only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive." Rand brought Mat back from the edge and he did not need the services of Miracle Max.

Nicely done.

There was also the Dark Hounds incident where Mat surely died (by Moiraine's estimation of the effect of DH saliva on the skin). In that incident, Rand balefired the DH and Mat says that he remembers the DH slobbering over his arm. The only one in the room at the time was Melindra (DF Shaido Maiden). So she probably wouldn't care if he died by another servant of the Great Lord.

There was also the Dark Hounds incident where Mat surely died (by Moiraine's estimation of the effect of DH saliva on the skin). In that incident, Rand balefired the DH and Mat says that he remembers the DH slobbering over his arm. The only one in the room at the time was Melindra (DF Shaido Maiden). So she probably wouldn't care if he died by another servant of the Great Lord.

That was probably just a flesh wound. One that would have taken his entire arm off but I don't know if the hound had gotten the killing stroke in yet.

That was probably just a flesh wound. One that would have taken his entire arm off but I don't know if the hound had gotten the killing stroke in yet.

DH saliva in the amount Mat remembers kills instantly. That is how I understand Moiraine's description of it.

DH saliva in the amount Mat remembers kills instantly. That is how I understand Moiraine's description of it.

I'll take your word. It does ring a bell. I've read the first 6 books in about 4 weeks and things get lost. Hahahaha! ;)

Fires of Heaven: Rhuidean

"No, not that, Rand." She seemed to be regaining her self-control; her voice was silver chimes again, calm and cool. "They are only another kind of Shadowspawn, something that should never have been made. But their bite is death as surely as a dagger in the heart, and I do not think I could have Healed such a wound before it killed you. Their blood, even their saliva, is poison. A drop on the skin can kill, slowly, with great pain at the end. You are lucky there were only three: Unless you killed more before I arrived? Their packs are usually larger, as many as ten or twelve, or so say the scraps left from the War Of the Shadow."

"I told you the mind plays funny tricks," Mat said, still trying to scratch and pull at the same time. "When I thought that thing chewed through the door, I thought it slobbered all over my arm, too, and now it bloody itches like fire. Even looks like a burn there."

Fires of Heaven: Rhuidean

"No, not that, Rand." She seemed to be regaining her self-control; her voice was silver chimes again, calm and cool. "They are only another kind of Shadowspawn, something that should never have been made. But their bite is death as surely as a dagger in the heart, and I do not think I could have Healed such a wound before it killed you. Their blood, even their saliva, is poison. A drop on the skin can kill, slowly, with great pain at the end. You are lucky there were only three: Unless you killed more before I arrived? Their packs are usually larger, as many as ten or twelve, or so say the scraps left from the War Of the Shadow."

"I told you the mind plays funny tricks," Mat said, still trying to scratch and pull at the same time. "When I thought that thing chewed through the door, I thought it slobbered all over my arm, too, and now it bloody itches like fire. Even looks like a burn there."

Ah. Thank you. But, it does say "slowly" So, he probably wasn't dead, just dying. Thanks for the quotes, Theodril.

Archived