DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

machin shin - not of the shadow

mike hunt's here

Let's pretend I'm a full blown Ashaman wandering the countryside looking to help the helpless and right the wrongs.

If I go an open a waygate, and then set up a Travelling Gate right smug against the waygate opening...

would Machin Shin enter the Travelling thing and die (possibly?).

Things of the Shadow can not enter a travelling gate or a death gate...but machin shin is not quite of the shadow...

Now that makes me wonder, can Fain enter a death gate? thanks for your feedback.

Let's pretend I'm a full blown Ashaman wandering the countryside looking to help the helpless and right the wrongs.

If I go an open a waygate, and then set up a Travelling Gate right smug against the waygate opening...

would Machin Shin enter the Travelling thing and die (possibly?).

Things of the Shadow can not enter a travelling gate or a death gate...but machin shin is not quite of the shadow...

Now that makes me wonder, can Fain enter a death gate? thanks for your feedback.

Constructs can not travel, doesn't matter if they are of the shadow or not. Nym can not travel either.

As for Machin Shin

Interview: Sep 2nd, 2005

DragonCon Report - Isabel (Paraphrased)

Question

Someone had a question about Machin Shin in the Ways. Since it seems to absorb the creatures that pass through there, could you regard it as a servant of the Dark One or perhaps almost as a Forsaken?

Robert Jordan

It's not a servant of the Dark One. It will kill Trollocs or anything else. You can say it's a parasite that grew in the Ways because of the taint and the One Power that was used to initially create the Ways. The talisman of growing that was used to extend the Ways. So it's not a servant of the Dark One, but it's definitely on the evil side.

Question

Would it be cleaned with the Cleansing of saidin?

Robert Jordan

No. Its like a bacteria breed. Just by cleaning up the chemicals that caused the bacteria to come into existence, unless it's feeding on that, those chemicals, you are not going to destroy the bacteria. You simply cut off what helped to create it.

The Black Wind if not technically of the shadow, but it was caused by the Shadow. It was caused by the fact that the tainted Saidin was used to create the ways. It's the same reason Aes Sedai try not to channel if they are in the Ways, because the taint could destroy them. But I don't think an Ashaman can form a gateway inside the Ways.

Constructs can not travel, doesn't matter if they are of the shadow or not. Nym can not travel either.

So what about skimming? How about I open a skimming platform right outside the ways ala Sumeko or that Kin lady with Mat and the Gholam.

So it would be like i am pouring all the "bacteria" from the Ways into a Skimming thingie.

So what about skimming? How about I open a skimming platform right outside the ways ala Sumeko or that Kin lady with Mat and the Gholam.

So it would be like i am pouring all the "bacteria" from the Ways into a Skimming thingie.

Machin Shin seems semi-sentient. If you put a gateway next to a waygate, why would it try to reach out of the waygate and into the skimming realm?

Traveling requires good knowledge of the place you start from; and in the ways that seems impossible since no one can be familiar with their place (or so it seems to me).

but if you hold the power, you gain knowledge of the location at a much accelerated pace.

although I have been thinking of this, I wonder if the answer to Macha chin is something akin to Nynaeves madness healing weave, or (and much more likely) Fain's dagger

I would say that in theory, it could work, however it would be all but impossible to do.

We don't really know how "big" MS is, and how aware it is. Or if it has any type of identifiable "mass", or if it is an extension of the Ways themselves.

If you could somehow force it all into a skimming gate, it would get rid of it. It wouldn't cleanse the Ways completely though, since the entire thing is tainted, but you wouldn't have MS travelling round killing things.

I would say it could grow back though, since from my understanding, it collects the souls of those who have died in the Ways. When enough souls have been taken in the Ways, it would come back, I think.

Archived