DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Far Madding

Grimmauld

Verin, Cadsuane, Romanda - three of the more powerful Aes Sedai in the series.

Raolin Darksbane and Yurian Stonebow - two of the most feared false dragons in history - each could channel.

Apropos of nothing in regards to the finale of the series but as a small matter of interest, I find it interesting that such a small area of Randland, both in terms of size and population, has produced three extremely important and powerful Aes Sedai as well as two of what must obviously be the most powerful male channelers since the Breaking.

A gentle supposition for this is that the gene for channeling, if one exists, may not have been weened out from the residents of Far Madding in the same way that it has been in the rest of Randland. Taking into account the dangers of banditry, the relative isolation of the city and the lack of easy transportation pre-Travelling, it is definitely a possibility that many inhabitants of the city spend their entire lives within the confines of the Guardians' powers. This would lead to a potential channeler leading a life where they are cut off from ever sensing the source. Therefore, should this person go on to have children, they may pass on the gene - whereas had they lived in another area of Randland they may have become Aes Sedai or a male channeler, neither of which is likely to have passed on the gene due to the unlikelihood of having children.

Not exceptionally important, maybe not important at all, but an interesting little facet which adds to the coherence of the world of the WoT, happily adding to its status as one of the greatest fantasy series in literature.

And, for all we know, it is! If the guardians were removed and testing was done by a recruitment group, it seems to me highly possible that it would turn out to be a treasure trove like the TR. Of course this is all speculation but, I like to think, the logic holds up.

No idea about whether they are sparkers.

I do think though that it is doubtful any major recruiting was done there by the Ashaman or by the AS, as both would be unable to test inside the bounds and many may not even wish to enter the area. Had there been more time left you would certainly suggest that the Ashaman should hold an open day outside the bounds where any man who wished to channel could come to be tested, and the same for the AS.

My question is...how did Verin and all the others spark, with the guardians denying the source and nothing to channel? Unless the city is just busting at the seams with wells full of Saidar, I think this requires them to spark after leaving the boundary of the guardians while still young enough to be accepted into the tower.

I think the whole genetic element of it is up in the air bahotin and not likely to be explained. I see what you are asking - is there a separate gene for saidin and saidar. However, if the amount of women able to channel has decreased due to the culling of male channelers from the gene pool, then it suggests that the gene is not separate for each but instead that what the gene passes down is something such as a genetic open gate/channel to the one power.

As for how the likes of Verin learn they could channel, I would guess that yes, many decide to go to the tower and only learn they can channel when they get there or along the way. Others will learn when they take trips outside the bounds - this could actually be quite a frequent occurrence for some but I wonder how many children from the city regularly pass outside the bounds. This is especially troubling because by the time people are old enough to travel much as adults, they are likely to be getting to the end of the age where the White Tower will accept them as initiates.

Question... will a male channeler be able to pass the channeling gene to a female child? assuming the mother has no channeling gene.

I thought somewhere along the way RJ stated that channeling was tied to the soul, but on the other hand you have the culling discussion which would mean it is gene related.

Maybe it is a combination of the two. You will only be able to channel if your soul has the appropriate spiritual recipe for channeling and your body presents the correct gateway for channeling. Therefore the body does not decide which side of the power you channel, which obviously makes sense given what we see with Arangar who channels saidin despite being in a female body.

As for how the likes of Verin learn they could channel, I would guess that yes, many decide to go to the tower and only learn they can channel when they get there or along the way. Others will learn when they take trips outside the bounds - this could actually be quite a frequent occurrence for some but I wonder how many children from the city regularly pass outside the bounds. This is especially troubling because by the time people are old enough to travel much as adults, they are likely to be getting to the end of the age where the White Tower will accept them as initiates.

knowing the nature of randland and the wheel, it could be instances where they had to visit an old spinster aunt on a farm when their channeling manifests.

Archived