DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Did we ever find out?

So im going through my last and final read through of the books. One thing that i have always wondered about, is where does Moraine go when she leaves Fal Dara that first time? I had a thought this last time, what if she is fact another Black Ajah? We have the meeting with all the dark friends at the begining of the book, and there are Aes Sedai there could she be one. I have always wondered where she went off to with out Lan, and Lan says from time to time she goes off on her own with out him. Verin does the same thing with Tomas, goes off on her own from time to time. Verin even states that she has most of black ajah in her lil book of notes could she have missed Moraine?

It seems to be a far fetched idea when i think of it but.... it does kinda make sense. I belive that Moraine would of done all that she could of done to finding the Dragon Reborn, and that becoming Black Ajah kinda makes sense to be able to be on the inside so to say, to get all the info that the black has availble to them. I am more than likely wrong but i may be right aswell.

It also may go with the fact that she knows that Bel'al or how are you spell it is in control of Tear,in the third book,its never mentioned how she knows that he is there, something as readers we have kinda over looked or got a flimsy answer.

It almost makes me think that this is something RJ would of thought of from the very begining. A Black Ajah incontrol of the dragon reborn.

thats what i have been thinking about for the last few days.

Yah she is still on the side of light. But with Verin i think that was supposed to be kinda easy to figure out that she was Black Ajah, with all the clues and all that RJ put in the books. But i also think that it was planned this way for us as readers, to have a huge bombshell dropped on us in the last book. Kinda like a No Way she is black, it would be a huge thing in the very end of the book to find that out. It would deff be a holy shit type of moment, that none of us saw comming for sure.

If she was really Black Ajah she would not have been attacked by a member of the Black Ajah in the prequel book, New Spring. That being said this is an interesting thing to bring up.

Granted we know she isn't BA but your example wouldn't mean much. They only really know their immediate cells so she could have been attacked easily.

That's not necessarily true, BA members don't know all the other BA members, just three others, the two other members of their "heart" and one other from a different heart. It's easily possible for a BA sister to attack another BA if they don't know about each other, and their missions haven't been coordinated with each other. It's not like the BA is playing a game of Mafia with the WT. And the BA, like all groups of darkfriends, is no doubt rife with back-stabbing, insubordination, and betrayal. After all, if these were honest, trustworthy people, they wouldn't be Black in the first place.

Still, Moiraine's not Black. It's apparent from multiple POVs.

edit: beat me to it, Sutt.

I don't think we've ever found out what she was doing. I've always assumed it was some fact finding mission like the one she went to when she visited Vandene and Aldeleas when the warded Draghar (spelling?) came for her. But it is a good question.

We know for a fact Moiraine is not Black Ajah, however. Multiple POVs show that. She's as solid for the Light as Rand, Perrin, Mat, Elayne, Nynaeve, Egwene, and Loial, and Lan.

For one, we have Min's viewing in Baerlon that Moiraine is part of the group that is standing and fighting the Shadow. As to where Moiraine went after she left Fal Dara, she went to Tamon Head and Falme and helped save several Aes Sedai from the Seanchan. She says that she failed to save two: Ryma and Shaine (Tuon's damane). Here is the quote from The Great Hunt (49: What was Meant to Be):

"I have not been hiding," Moiraine said calmly. "I have been doing what I could, here on Toman Head, and in Falme. It was little enough, though I learned much. I failed to rescue two of my sisters before the Seanchan herded them onto the ships with the Leashed Ones, but I did what I could."

So, this assumption that Moiraine is Black, has absolutely no evidence or foundation.

Also...she killed Lanfear...seems unlikely a df would attack a chosen (when she definitely knows that the person shes going to tumble with is actually a chosen). Elza thought something along those lines, being happy to kill a df ashaman (Dashiva), but very unwilling/frightened to injure/kill a chosen...unfortunately she made a boo boo.

Also the above post, min's viewing and all that

YAh i kinda figured that she wasnt black. but where ever she goes while they are all at fal dara in the start of the second book, still seems weird to me. I doubt she went to falme and toman head. that would b a very long ass journey, as she was only gone for a few weeks. They are far far away from fal dara, it would be a much longer journey of a month or more to get there then do what she did and then get back.

She was probally on some type of fact mission like when she sees vandene and adelas. Lan is there with her so we know that isnt where she went, because she went with out Lan. This has always been a thing that bothers me.... ever since i read the great hunt the first time through. Hope fully will will find out some way or the other where she went and what she was doing. i deff want to know

YAh i kinda figured that she wasnt black. but where ever she goes while they are all at fal dara in the start of the second book, still seems weird to me. I doubt she went to falme and toman head. that would b a very long ass journey, as she was only gone for a few weeks. They are far far away from fal dara, it would be a much longer journey of a month or more to get there then do what she did and then get back.

She was probally on some type of fact mission like when she sees vandene and adelas. Lan is there with her so we know that isnt where she went, because she went with out Lan. This has always been a thing that bothers me.... ever since i read the great hunt the first time through. Hope fully will will find out some way or the other where she went and what she was doing. i deff want to know

I think there is some confusion here.

Which time are you talking about for when Moiraine leaves? Are you referring to the time period between tEotW and TGH, and she returns at the beginning of TGH? Or, are you referring to the time when Moiraine leaves and Rand is going to hunt down the Horn?

The time that Theodril says she goes to Falme is in reference to the latter depart.

As for the first time she returns, I believe the purpose of her returning was device on RJ's part to cast suspicion on Moiraine. Just before that, we have the darkfriend social, and we know some Aes Sedai attended that. Also later in the book, we see conflicting statements from Verin and Moiraine, which is supposed to cast more suspicion on them both. I think this is just an early book device to keep us wondering about Moiraine.

Black Ajah don't attack each other because when they meet in the field they have the sign, they make a crescent shape with index and thumb in position of black half of AS symbol

also, like ur handle, but really tell us were u high when u came up with it

Sort of a side question about Moiraine: In LoC - the beginning of the book - Elayne's POV - They're in Salidar and everyone loves them because the AS believe that she and Nyna are finding lost weaves. One of the weaves mentioned is invisibility and it says that Moiraine knew how to weave invisibility, that Nynaeve had seen her do it.

When did that happen?

the first time they all went into the blight right outside of Malkier she did more of a folding of light so to say.... wich is kinda like the invisbility weave. other than that i cant think of any other instance where she does use the weave.

she goes and sees vandene and adelas after they all leave Fal Dara. right before they all get on the boat to go to Tar Valon. It is mentioned when Egewene starts having the dreams about rand being in some type of danger.

the first time they all went into the blight right outside of Malkier she did more of a folding of light so to say.... wich is kinda like the invisbility weave. other than that i cant think of any other instance where she does use the weave.

she goes and sees vandene and adelas after they all leave Fal Dara. right before they all get on the boat to go to Tar Valon. It is mentioned when Egewene starts having the dreams about rand being in some type of danger.

I remember her going to see the old broads. I don't remember her folding the light, unfortunately. Thank you, bong man. I'll check it out.

They are doing the weave on people to make people invisible when they move and all, wheras moiraine set it to an area, if you left it you were visible again. But likely invisibility was one of moiraines tricks like eavesdropping, that is not well shared among the aes sedai, mostly kept to themselves.

They are doing the weave on people to make people invisible when they move and all, wheras moiraine set it to an area, if you left it you were visible again. But likely invisibility was one of moiraines tricks like eavesdropping, that is not well shared among the aes sedai, mostly kept to themselves.

Maybee thats one of the Blue's special weaves,that each Ajah have amonst themselves. The ants in New Spring on Lan is one of those. So invisibility mayhaps be one of those. i have often wondered what other types of things she came across while she was visting the two old Aes Sedia, since they were recording the history from the breaking up till now, and a lil bit before the breaking if i recall right.

Archived