DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Min and the Aelfin.

Silver Neccho

I have a theory as to why Min can see auras and images around peoples heads. When Mat first entered the Aelfin world and asked his three questions, the Aelfin looked above his head before answers were given. It was also made clear that the Aelfin much rather prefer those who can channel. My theory is, as Min shows, that the Aelfin can gain much more forsight into the pattern than say looking at one such as Mat. Both Min and the Aelfin can see the pattern, but the Aelfin seem to understand all that is seen where as Min is still learning what the visions mean. My theory is that Min has Aelfin blood somewhere down the line. And it must be a parent, as no record of someone like her exist, therefore Aelfin blood can not be that disbursed throughout the population, instead, limited to one person.

Any thoughts?

Maybe the talent just showed up in a human.

Seems a bit random, if you ask me. That would be like a human being born with the power of a fade.

EDIT: I am rereading the series. I will see if she has any reactions to music, iron, or fire.

EDIT: I do remember that when she became bonded with Rand that some aspects of the bond were overwhelming, too much contact.

Think RJ stated MIn's talent was totally different from the Finns. I'm sure someone can dig up the quote.

Yup.

Interview: Jul 19th, 2005

TOR Questions of the Week Part III (Verbatim)

Week 1 Question

Are the Eelfinn limited in their power to grant wishes? To what degree can they affect the outside world? Also, is there any relation between what the Aelfinn do and Min's ability?

Robert Jordan

Oh, yes, there definitely are limits to the powers of the Eelfinn. For one thing, they cannot affect the outside world at all. If you said that you wanted to be King of the World, you might well find that what you received was not what you expected. For example, they might put you out of their world into a world with no other sentient life, where you would be king by default. Then again, you might find yourself with the necessary skills to make yourself King of the World, if you were able. Actually achieving it would be up to you. But then, many of their "gifts" are skewed in this way. You must be very careful as you're asking if you want to receive what you are hoping for. And yet, remember that Mat actually did receive very much what he asked for. Just not in the way that he wanted.

No, there is no connection between what the Aelfinn do and what Min does.

RJ sure does make it seem otherwise though, despite what he said. Min's ability does in fact allow her to read the Pattern, and it is stronger when it comes to those who channel. Somewhere in the series, (need a quote) it does imply that the Eelfin and Aelfin's abilities are magnified by those with the power. Hmmm... maybe she has nothing to do with them, but maybe just maybe, they are connected, but not in the way I theorized. Not contradicting RJ but just wondering if there is a story to be revealed about Min and her ability. May she is a descendant of those in ancient times who setup the agreement with the Finns.

EDIT: And I say this because of the game 'Snakes and Foxes'. The instructions to destroy the Finns was passed down until it became a childrens games. Obviously the ancient people of the world new much more about the Finns than the current generation.

RJ sure does make it seem otherwise though, despite what he said. Min's ability does in fact allow her to read the Pattern, and it is stronger when it comes to those who channel. Somewhere in the series, (need a quote) it does imply that the Eelfin and Aelfin's abilities are magnified by those with the power.

Their abilities aren't magnified by those with the power. They seem to feed of sensations, emotions and experiences and that sensation is amplified by ta'veren and op users. It doesn't change their own abilities however.

Suttree has got it.

The Finns can read anyone with equal amount of skill. You ask them a question, they can answer it, be you channeler, ta'veren or just a normal person. Their ability is not affected by any of these things. They favour channelers or ta'veren because of the savour they get from emotions etc.. It has nothing to do with their ability to answer questions, they are just weird like that.

Min's ability to read Aes Sedai, I would say, is enhanced because of the connection to the True Source. The TS is the force that drives the Wheel, therefore the pattern. The direct connection to this force = more clarity within pattern. While activly channeling, it is blurry, my guess would be that this is because of the immediate use of power = "blinding" like looking at phosphorus burning, the blinding light when it is burnt. (not sure if i got right chemical, something like that anyway)

Maybe Min was given the ability by the Creator to help the Dragon Reborn

My take on Min's unique talent is that the Pattern has had to compensate much more than usual to balance the DO's influence this time around. It's had to nudge advantages onto certain Light-sided people (the Dragon's memories for Rand, Wolfbrotherhood for Perrin, future visions for Min, etc) that are excedingly rare for people to have. Nobody's ever heard of three ta'veren at once, for instance.

Or, RJ thought it would be a cool concept, just threw it in there and ran with it.

I just love these forums, someone asks a question, a more veteran fan has a quote handy disproving the theory

per example:

Interview 2002

Fan: Could it be the case A or B?

RJ: Nope not at all, or in any way that A is possible or B ever happening

2 posts down the quote

but maaaayyyybe if A than should B wich could come from C grabbed out of the air without any previous connections or mentions to this subject if any at all.

This post is not in anyway negative or sarcastic in purpose, I actually like reading those :)

Archived