DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Berelain, The first of Mayene

Pawan

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to start a forum on Berelain. I was having a discussion with my friend regarding her and my friend had some rather strong views on Berelain's "sexually promiscuous" character.

I happen to really like Berelain's character, especially considering her background of trying to keep her relatively small country from being absorbed by its larger neighbours.

I think its unfortunate that she attempts to break apart Faile and Perrin ( I like them both) however her involvement in the Cairheinien Politics was a huge help to Rand.

Just want to hear from you all and your thoughts about her and her impacts to the other characters.

Cheers

She doesn't seem to be sexually promiscuous really, more like she uses her sex appeal to help get what she needs for her country. I like the character, too. She's spiced things up and I don't mind if she really is sexually promiscuous or not.

Well that was my argument as well. that she just used what she has to get what she needs for her country... Other than that, I loved how she formed a father daughter relationship with Rhuarc whilst minding Cairhein, really made for interesting reading when going through a relatively slow part of the story.

Berelain is one of my favorite female characters. She is extremely intelligent, very competent and capable as a ruler, exceptionally willful and strong, dedicated to her people, and highly loyal to Rand. The mirror of seduction she uses to enhance her appeal and effectiveness is something the Aiel Wise Ones and Rhuarc saw through. They saw her true personal traits and respected her. The Aiel don't give the "stamp of approval" easily; and Berelain earned their approval. Even Aviendha was on good terms with Berelain the last time they met.

Berelain's episode with Perrin and Faile shows how tenacious and loyal she is, to Rand and to her people. She stayed by Perrin's side and along with the Wise Ones stabilized his "berserk" spell; and helped him come to terms with his destiny. Also in ToM, we see how much more intelligent than Faile she is. Alliandre commented on it when she eavesdropped on Berelain and Faile and then chatted with Berelain. My personal view on the "Falcon and Hawk" is that Berelain was too good for Perrin. He deserved someone like Faile!

Didn't she say to Perrin that he would only be her second? First was probably a Tairen High Lord though.

I think she told Perrin that he would be her third, and the first for pure pleasure.

Well that was my argument as well. that she just used what she has to get what she needs for her country... Other than that, I loved how she formed a father daughter relationship with Rhuarc whilst minding Cairhein, really made for interesting reading when going through a relatively slow part of the story.

That was how I saw her. Like she's all talk! She'd never actually give up the milk, just promise you the cow.

That was how I saw her. Like she's all talk! She'd never actually give up the milk, just promise you the cow.

I also understood it to be that is how Mayene has always handled it's negotiations to protect itself.

I think Berelain and I would have been good friends if we met in real life. I think I probably would have verbally bitch slapped her over Perrin, but we'd be friends nonetheless. She's a classic fag hag.

Hmmm... that makes for an interesting point about Galad....

I think Berelain and I would have been good friends if we met in real life. I think I probably would have verbally bitch slapped her over Perrin, but we'd be friends nonetheless. She's a classic fag hag.

I think she'd be the best Wing Woman ever. I'd party with her for sure. However I'd warn all my homies that she's all talk.

Something isn't translating well. What is this slang for?

Well Fag's in other cultures are smokes, so based on the concept I'd assume one of those chicks who smoke outside the club trying to look cool and are really prissy. Or something to that effect.

Well Fag's in other cultures are smokes, so based on the concept I'd assume one of those chicks who smoke outside the club trying to look cool and are really prissy. Or something to that effect.

Is that sarcasm? Apple Scruff has the right of it. It is a woman who is primarily friends with and hangs out mostly with gay men.

We see it with Domani women all the time, so beautiful and skilled in manipulation that they can get the price they want to give on their goods as well as bankrupt the poor merchant into showering them with gifts of jewels.

Is that sarcasm? Apple Scruff has the right of it. It is a woman who is primarily friends with and hangs out mostly with gay men.

Nope wasn't sarcasm at all actually. I've never heard the term, and was piecing together what I could.

In many other countries a "fag" is slang for cigarette. So taking the the phrase "fag hag" and applying their slang, one could make the connection that it is about a woman or girl that smokes.

In many other countries a "fag" is slang for cigarette. So taking the the phrase "fag hag" and applying their slang, one could make the connection that it is about a woman or girl that smokes.

Yeah I know, Vard is from the US though I believe so it through me for a loop.

Yeah I know, Vard is from the US though I believe so it through me for a loop.

Yes I am, but I have a bunch of international friends/family, so my speech can be odd.

You won't find many "Black" guys from Maryland who say Bloody Hell a lot either.

I've still never heard of Fag Hag before.

A Fag Hag is a girl who is BFFs with a gay guy.

Although, one of my gay friends says cute ones are Fruit Flies.

The implication is that Galad is gay.

I've never heard that one before. Freakin brilliant!

As for Berlain, I like her.

Depending on the course of Randland's future, large nations may become a thing of the past. In a large 'bland' empire with no borders, culture is the distinction that separates people. The large nations were necessary when massive armies were required to flight the Shadow, but when that is no longer an imminent threat a people's cultural identity will take precedent.

We are going to see a HUGE leap forward in logistical capabilities in Randland with that invention of steam power and a reintroduction of male channellers. That allows for more independence of people because small scale movement and trading is easier, cheaper, and well...possible.

Archived