DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Lan die? opinions?

pepe Al'thor

I just recently finished ToM for the first time, and as Lan charges off into the blight with his small army of Malkierie "to die" i can't help but wonder what will happen next!

I personally just don't see Nynaeve going out in some kamikaze, blind-rage, stand off when the bond gets cut or having her emotions crippled for the last battle, so for that reason i believe Lan will live some how!

so, yay or nay?! has Lan met his end?

I don't think Lan will die because it has been somewhat foreshadowed since his bond to Moraine was snapped and it is expected. I can't see RJ (who I'm sure decided who lives and dies in his notes) doing what we expected. If he does die, I can see Nynaeve doing the whole Manetheren queen thing and killing herself while avenging him. The scenario does fit perfectly. Hordes of Trollocs coming down and a King goes to fight them while vastly outnumbered and believing he will die. But like I said, in my opinion, he won't die and he will be saved by Rand's reinforcements when all seems lost

If he dies then Min or RJ was wrong. She say a vision of a babe with a sword. Either it was his past/early bookism and RJ was wrong that she only sees the future or it was Lan's son and he needs to survive to make him... Or it is his son and he dies so Min is wrong

If Lan/Lancelot is of similar vein, Lan will not die. King Arthur/Rand of course dies.

Min's vision was of Lan's past: Baby with a sword. I believe according to RJ, that Lan became a blademaster at 14 or 15 years of age.

Regardless, should be a great battle. After Moraine's death, Lan is at his uber peak ("Lion", most dangerous man Avienhda has ever seen), probably can take on 12 at once. He is the greatest fighter in WoT.

Min's vision was of Lan's past: Baby with a sword. .

Not true. In fact RJ said Min's visions are never of the past, he answered that specifically in relation to Lan.

Then Lan lives, no big deal.

Not necessarily. The babe may be Lan's son, and there is no need for Lan to be alive beyond conception.

Min's vision was of Lan's past: Baby with a sword. .

Not true. In fact RJ said Min's visions are never of the past, he answered that specifically in relation to Lan.

Then Lan lives, no big deal.

Not necessarily. The babe may be Lan's son, and there is no need for Lan to be alive beyond conception.

So you think Ny is already pregnant?

It's possible. Or they may have a reunion before Lan dies (if he dies).

For me the major problem with Lan dying is that the viewing of Nynaeve bent over a body in postures of grief was way too obvious for it to actually be Lan. I'm guessing Rand.

a hope but not belive and now i am going to get a ton of accusation about not liking Lan . First i can say that it is not of lack of liking but for three very specific reasons

1)It would take a very good writer to get him out of his kamikaze mission without serious plot destruction , the author must apply Deus ex Macchina ( that is in my mind to compare with plot destruction )

2) Not another Aragon please ( even though he already is , the damage can at least be mended )

and last 3) I want some serious character deaths in the next book ( that's why i detest the Tar-resurrection idea btw)

i mean how many characters of the light has died in the book - answer =very few

but as i said first i don't think so for because who don't like to write an Aragon.

a hope but not belive and now i am going to get a ton of accusation about not liking Lan . First i can say that it is not of lack of liking but for three very specific reasons

1)It would take a very good writer to get him out of his kamikaze mission without serious plot destruction , the author must apply Deus ex Macchina ( that is in my mind to compare with plot destruction )

2) Not another Aragon please ( even though he already is , the damage can at least be mended )

and last 3) I want some serious character deaths in the next book ( that's why i detest the Tar-resurrection idea btw)

i mean how many characters of the light has died in the book - answer =very few

but as i said first i don't think so for because who don't like to write an Aragon.

It makes sense for him nit to die at the gap. Rand told Eggy a friend rides to his death without allies and told Ny that he will get him help. He also said he will make a bargain with the leaders Eggy got in exchange for him fighting at SG. It seems intuitive that the help for Lan is coming from FoM, not exactly a DeM

So you mean when Lan is secons from smashing a trollocs head suddenly " The Amyrlin has come The Amyrlin has come we are safe " and then the Aes Sedai kills swadowspawn in heaps , nja I am not convinced. the problem is that Sanderson ( or Rj ) placed Lan in midaction so the DeM is near impossible to avoid.

It's possible. Or they may have a reunion before Lan dies (if he dies).

For me the major problem with Lan dying is that the viewing of Nynaeve bent over a body in postures of grief was way too obvious for it to actually be Lan. I'm guessing Rand.

I think it was Tam, whose life was in the balance at that point, since Rand was on the verge of balefiring him. The viewing 'was gone a moment later' which suggests to me that the Pattern had altered; she's had an ambiguous viewing before (of Gawyn in TSR47) - and Rand is ta'veren. The viewing is of Nyn because she was instrumental in bringing Tam to Rand at Cads' request.

So you mean when Lan is secons from smashing a trollocs head suddenly " The Amyrlin has come The Amyrlin has come we are safe " and then the Aes Sedai kills swadowspawn in heaps , nja I am not convinced. the problem is that Sanderson ( or Rj ) placed Lan in midaction so the DeM is near impossible to avoid.

or it is like the battle of maradon where they are almost defeated when help comes

I've had the feeling that Lan's battle at Tarwins Gap will be more symbolic than anything else. Possible waxing and waning with the events that take place in Shayol Ghul. As the Light starts to falter Lan is getting overran, but the Light fights to close the Bore and someone shows up to save Lan (the Seachan)....

i personally like LAN hes my favourite character he doesnt have the biggest part in the series but hes kinda like the obi-wan kenobi to all the characters and also has a more emotional part a lone soldier/king without a nation or people, who struggles with his emotions againsnt his own better judgement and in the moment of the his last part in book 13, where he rides to Tarwins Gap with his people fighting with him, that is just the best climatic scene in the whole series and it just pumps you up for the next book, will he die i think not i reckon there will be some part in the book where his army is overrun and Nyanene cant feel the bond anymore probably cause it is to weak, but at the end he like rides up from the battle field on his warhorse manbarb all bloodied and soaked and then meets up with everyone Rand al thor is still alive and Lan makes like some smart remark to rand in humour like good going 'Sheephearder" anyway thats my thoughts on it.

If he dies then Min or RJ was wrong. She say a vision of a babe with a sword. Either it was his past/early bookism and RJ was wrong that she only sees the future or it was Lan's son and he needs to survive to make him... Or it is his son and he dies so Min is wrong

The babe with the sword is Lan, I thought.

Archived