• Tom Baker
    • Peter Davison
    • Colin Baker
    • Sylvester McCoy
    • Paul McGann
    • Christopher Eccleston
    • David Tennant
    • Matt Smith

Matt Smith, most notably because it's who I started watching it with. He has a great way at going from bumbling fool, to meditative genius, to badass toughguy in the blink of an eye. I don't know if that's he's always traditionally been portrayed like that, but he seems to do a good job of it.

It's a close one. My favorite episode stars Tennant. Tennant's regeneration was also a fantastic one. But Matt Smith is my favorite by a hair and that might possibly be because of how much I like Amy Pond and hate Rose Tyler.

• Community Administrator

I've only seen the new series and not the old, and I do like this new doctor more at the moment.

I'm not touching the old series...

I really don't want to watch all of them.

and If I watch one... I'll watch em all.

David Tennant... the hands down best doctor to me.

Tom Baker is second only by a small hair though.

I havent actually watches the new doctor yet... i was so crushed when Tennant was regenerated out that i actually stopped watching the show :sad:

It's a close one. My favorite episode stars Tennant. Tennant's regeneration was also a fantastic one. But Matt Smith is my favorite by a hair and that might possibly be because of how much I like Amy Pond and hate Rose Tyler.

I like both, but Pond more. She's got more spunk. And granted I've only watched the new series, but the absolutely worst companion was Donna Noble.

I like both, but Pond more. She's got more spunk. And granted I've only watched the new series, but the absolutely worst companion was Donna Noble.

Donna was the what? She was the first companion in the new series NOT to fall in love with the Doc, had a badass attitude and an awesome sense of humour. She also put up with none of the Doc's nonsense. Rose was rather useless, Martha was awesome and Donna was incredible.

I haven't seen any of the old ones. And I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally really want to. :(

However, DAVID TENNANT!!!

I love Christopher Eccleston, especially the accent (it's from around the same area as me :p), and he has my all-time favourite quote of the series- ('Lots of countries have a north' XD Never gets old, and also to do with the accent, love it)

Anyway, I prefer David Tennant, I absolutely fell in love with him, and he was the one that I sat and watched every Saturday night, and the one I bought all the DVDs of, and the one I can quote just about every episode of.

Also, I cannot get past the amazing acting ability he possesses. His last few episodes, anything with the Master in it, just blows me away. I had my friends over so we could hold hands in his last episode, and I swear we cried for half an hour. Saying 'I don't wanna go' was just...gah...

The End of Time episodes are guaranteed to have me a sobbing mess because the Master bogs off as well. :(

Aaaaanywho...I was very against Matt Smith when he first came on and worried about the show because Russel and Julie left, but Moffat's doing a great job and I love Matt now.

But still, DT is my favourite, hands down.

So david tennant seems to be the most popular choice. I'm gonna have to go back and watch those. I've sorta streamlined through all the newest ones and now I'm out. But I have to say, this Matt Smith guy seems genius. In a way that our typical american 'genius' actors aren't. IIRC the only thing I've seen or heard of david tennant in is Harry Potter.

I like the Doctor that David Tennant was able to play better than Matt Smith's Doctor. I feel that Tennant was allowed to play a fairly wide set of emotions and moods that hasn't been written for Smith yet. Specifically Tennant was allowed to be sad, and I felt sad FOR him. Towards the end of Tennant's era you could feel the unravelling of the character to the breaking point. Matt Smith has some sad moments, but I don't feel the darker emotions are as powerful for Smith's Doctor (mostly in the writing. The emotions are there, but not actively being explored, with the exception of a few select scenes and "Amy's Choice").

Don't get me wrong, Smith is doing a great job with the Doctor that he is being given. I have no complaints on that. I just like Tennant's variant better. In terms of acting, they both were great, and played their part really well. Moffat's stories (Smith) are generally better (imo) in that they are a lot more complex, planned, and woven together well, although I enjoyed the slightly more playful episodic stories from Davies (Tennant) as well. I actually think that the change of writing style suits their respective versions of the Doctor. Although I loved Moffat's "Girl in the Fireplace" for Tennant. He did "Blink" for Tennant too didn't he? Those are two of my favorite episodes.

I wasn't a big fan of Eccleston, however I'm glad they went with him at the start. I can't see either of the the later two playing the Doctor at that point of his life.

I haven't seen enough of the classic series to make any observations there. I have no way to get the episodes that weren't lost, let alone the ones that were. I don't even think I've seen an entire story arc from any of the classic series. *sad face*

A story arc in the classic ones were usually episodic in nature with overarcing themes, it's not hard to get a hold of them since most of the mid to late are on DVD and some of the early ones were pieced back together from sources of those that taped original episodes.

Be prepared for some overacting and bad special effects though, some of it is hilarious. Also you are looking at 4 seperate parts to an episode each about 30 minutes in length

• 3 months later...

My favourite Doctor moments when I was a kid were all of Tom Bakers Doctor.... Even my mum agrees. I do also liked William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, while David Tennant and Matt Smith were briliant in my view as well. Christopher Eccelston was memorable as well.

Archived