DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What is up with the Ring of Sunlight around Camelyn?

udpaco13

Sorry if there is already a topic for this, but I wasn't able to find one.

Just finished my reread of ToM. There seems to be some oddities surroundings Rand and where he is during this book. For the most part it has to do with Camelyn. Pretty much through the entire book the City was ringed in sunlight. There are a few times they mention the clouds breaking when Rand arrives, indicating that it is not constant, but there are multiple times, witnessed from several characters that the ring of sunlight is there when we have no idea what Rand was doing.

The instance I am most currious about was in the last Elayne Chapter before she goes to take the Sun Throne. She is sitting around being Prego when she mentions that Rand just got really close, and the Clouds have broken. She never thinks about what he is doing, and I cannot find any reference to anything he would be doing in Camelyn.

One thing we know for sure is that the Shadow busted through his supposedly secure Waygate soon after. Is it possible he went back to remove the Wards or whatever his protection was? If I am not mistaking, in King Arthur legends, didn't he get mortally wounded at the battle of Camlann? I don't remember the story well enough to remember if there was anything similar that King Arthur may have done to let his enemies into the city? I will go brush up on this some time.

Could it be Rand knew they were going to Attack there and let it happen for some reason? Does this have to do with his eventual death and Rand trying to force prophecies? It just seems very odd that Rand was spending so much time in Camelyn not with Elyane or Matt, and the next we hear the city is being over run.

Back to the seemingly constant Ring of clouds around the city, is it possible that Matt is helping to maintain it? He is in the City, but we don't see a ring follow him when he meets Perrin or is heading to the ToG. There are other occasions in the book where we see the Ring of Clouds around Camelyn, but have no idea where Rand is or what he may be doing.

The clouds break either when Rand is in the city, or when Elayne is. Presuambly that is due to her pregnancy, since Avi doesn't seem to have the same effect. Min, we can't tell since she's always with Rand.

If this was the case why would she note the clouds breaking when Rand showed up in the City, which she does in one of her later chapters?

The clouds break either when Rand is in the city, or when Elayne is. Presuambly that is due to her pregnancy, since Avi doesn't seem to have the same effect. Min, we can't tell since she's always with Rand.

If this was the case why would she note the clouds breaking when Rand showed up in the City, which she does in one of her later chapters?

Because it went from the circle around the inner city to all clouds broken apart.

Because it went from the circle around the inner city to all clouds broken apart.

She didn't say the Ring expanded. She said (not exact quote, don't have my book, I will update it later) Rand just got really close, she is really excited about how good it feels through the bond, then notes the clouds breaking as they always do when Rand shows up. Not that she saw them go further back or they cleared more then they were. Also we do not see the Ring of light follow Elayne when she goes to the Sun Throne.

Rand was away from Min for a short amount of time before and after Veins of Gold. It's noted that before Min senses Rand return to Tear the sun was shining in the city. That seems to imply that it is the bond to Rand that is causing the clouds to break. As for Avi not having the same effect, it's quite possible she's a bit behind in the timeline. She left for Rhuidean shortly after Rand killed Semi and I don't think the trip from Cold Rocks to the city would be terribly long.

Nice, I had not considered the bond previously. I will have to go back and reread it a bit.

We still have Rand in Camelyn seemingly right before the Attack, and no Idea or mention of what he may have been doing. Any ideas on that front?

We still have Rand in Camelyn seemingly right before the Attack, and no Idea or mention of what he may have been doing. Any ideas on that front?

Where do you get this from? if he was ever in Caemlyn, Elayne would've noticed through the bond, but there's no indication of this.

Archived