DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Memory of Light Chapter Titles

Luckers

So I was in another thread, and thinking to myself that I really hope either the Prologue or the climax chapter will be entitled 'The Shadow at Noon', and it got me thinking about what other possibilities there are.

I have a feeling the Epilogue will be called The Winds of Time. Here are some others...

As The Watch Ends--a chapter for either the fall of the borderlands, or the beginning of a seige of Tar Valon.

The Anger of Aes Sedai--a chapter for the Aes Sedai's response to the raid on the Tower

As Thrones Fall--another for the same reason

Meetings With the Amyrlin--we got the Kin, we got Seta and Bethamin and we got Cadsuane all soon to be in position to deal with Egwene.

Some general ones-- Son of Battles, The Fox and the Raven, The Wolf King

For "The Watch Ends" - It could also be the breaking of the seals, as the Amyrlin is watcher of the seals.

I like the shadow at noon one. I thought the Amyrlin/Keeper ceremony in Fal Dara was sweet.

I wonder if there will be a chapter actually called "A Memory of Light" or some variation. Hasn't happened previously, but it is a good chapter title.

Some simple ones.

"His Blood" - obvious

"The Rocks of Shayol Ghul" - obvious

"Black on Red"/"Red on Black" - many possibilities, Fain, Rand, Moridin.

"Lord of the Seven Towers"

"Fields of Merrilor"

"To live you must die" - not necessarily the final scene at shayol ghul, but Rand possibly having someone kill him on purpose, figuring out the meaning of that riddle.

"Answers" - again, may possibilities. Moiraine/Rand Finn question or Moiraine's "wishes". Min figuring out how to properly seal the bore, any revelation pretty much.

"In Fire and Blood" - Black Tower fight etc...

"Eye of the Storm" - or similar variations of "the Storm" in reference to Nynaeve's weather sense about the Last Battle.

"The Forgotten Song" - or some variation to do with Singing and stuff.

"Remnant of a Remnant" - Aiel getting messed up, or one group of Aiel doing something different via Aviendha or somesuch.

Some unlikely, but ones that would be cool.

"The Dragon's Wrath", "Wrath of the Dragon" - Rand making his "demands" of the world at the Fields of Merrilor, and him getting pissed because everyone is fighting any quibbling.

"The Great Lord's (or Dark One's) Counterstroke" - a play on the Tainting of Saidin, but actually just the Shadow coming up with a surprise attack, when the Light thinks it is doing well or some such. It would be awesome for the discussion it would cause when the chapter titles are released (it would also make sense in the book as well)

"A Smile" or "To Smile Again" - Demandred killing Rand, or doing something suitably awesome enough to make him happy and smile. It would be a nice little twist in the title, as it wouldn't be something you would be expecting in a chapter named like it is.

"The True Power" - not actually the DO power, but the "Light" power or something like that.

The Fisher King - A Moridin chapter. He has made quite a few allusions to the game afterall and there is this concept of the Fisher switching sides which would be a fitting title for Moridin and Rand exchanging bodies.

Into the Dark - Walking down the Bore

The Heart of Shadow - Rand meeting the DO

The Dark One's laughter - Mat using the Dragons against other humans for the first time

Rose Petals on the Water - Lan fighting at Tarwyn's Gap, an allusion to a piece of Lan's favourite poetry

“The rose petal floats on water.

The kingfisher flashes above the pond.

Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death”

The Road Home / A New Road - Rand's final chapter aside from the epilogue when he returns to the Two Rivers

Twice dawns the day - victory over the Shadow / Elayne's children born (courtesy of time speeding up in T'A'R)

When the sun turns green - Reinforcements arrive at Tarwin's Gap

A gateway - the battle of the Black Tower

Unfortunately we've already had 'The grave is no bar to my call' back in TGH!

So: 'A silver arrow' - Birgitte is among the heroes called, having died in the Caemlyn fighting

Songs of joy and sadness - funeral of the DR (......??)

I like 'The Shadow at Noon', and also a few alternatives like 'As Darkness Fits the Sun' or 'Once for Mourning'.

Black Tower showdown - 'Blood and Fire' (If there is not a chapter with this name I will be unhappy.)

I'm sad that 'Light as a Feather' was already used in TOM, and for something boring at that.

I like 'The Shadow at Noon', and also a few alternatives like 'As Darkness Fits the Sun' or 'Once for Mourning'.

Black Tower showdown - 'Blood and Fire' (If there is not a chapter with this name I will be unhappy.)

I'm sad that 'Light as a Feather' was already used in TOM, and for something boring at that.

I like all of these.

The Fisher King - A Moridin chapter. He has made quite a few allusions to the game afterall and there is this concept of the Fisher switching sides which would be a fitting title for Moridin and Rand exchanging bodies.

Into the Dark - Walking down the Bore

The Heart of Shadow - Rand meeting the DO

The Dark One's laughter - Mat using the Dragons against other humans for the first time

Rose Petals on the Water - Lan fighting at Tarwyn's Gap, an allusion to a piece of Lan's favourite poetry

“The rose petal floats on water.

The kingfisher flashes above the pond.

Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death”

The Road Home / A New Road - Rand's final chapter aside from the epilogue when he returns to the Two Rivers

I love Rose Petals on the Water. It sounds like Lan's death chapter.

The epilogue is just begging to be called "An Ending".

I'm vaguely expecting that the last paragraph of the last chapter will be a reversal of the wind. I was discussing this with a friend, and he came up with the fun concept of one of the Forsaken surviving Tarmon Gai'don, but burned out or stilled in the fighting, fleeing along the ways and...

A wind rose in the Ways. The wind was not the ending, for there are neither endings nor beginnings in the turning of the Wheel of Time. It was an ending though. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, screams rose as the wind found its prey, a prey near as dark as itself. The Wheel of Time turned on, uncaring.

I think that the chapter names will somehow reference The Eye of the World for a sense of finality.

Off of the wheel ideas, I personally think the last chapter will be called "The Wheel Turns." Then somewhere in the book a chapter will be "Against the Shadow," and "The Dark One Stirs."

Of course, the epilogue: "After"

Some other thoughts that probably won't happen...

"The (T)Amyrlin's Anger" -- Egwene on Rand.

"Flicker" -- Rand fighting the DO.

"The Price" or something along those lines-- for the price of the second scar.

"Fits the Sun"-- When the sun goes to darkness, and Gawyn does something wrong.

I would not mind having one of the chapters be The last ride of the malkier.

Another one that would be great is The Son Of Battles when matt takes control over all the forces of light.

Another one that would b kinda groovy is Darkness so beautiful, when rand breaks the seals all the way

The Wolf King.Perrin with Elyas and all the wolves of the westlands as far as the eye can see with Slayer and all the darkhouds in the blight/westlands.

im sure ill think of more.

The epilogue is just begging to be called "An Ending".

If the wheel stops turning it will be called that. Otherwise The Turning of the Wheel as someone said would be the title.

If the Wheel stopped turning a more appropriate name would be "The Ending". "An Ending" implies a conclusion to this particular story, but that the Wheel will keep on turning. It's a reference to the line that starts off every first chapter in every book, "There are no beginnings nor ends to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning." Just as there can be a beginning that does not refer to the moment of creation, there can be an ending that does not refer to the destruction of the wheel.

To Spit in Sightblinder's Eye

Great title for the Aiel. Hmm.

A wind rose in the Ways. The wind was not the ending, for there are neither endings nor beginnings in the turning of the Wheel of Time. It was an ending though. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, screams rose as the wind found its prey, a prey near as dark as itself. The Wheel of Time turned on, uncaring.

If you change the first ending to begining, it sounds more dramatic in my mind. Especially with the lone forsaken dying.

Here's some thoughts:

"To Shayol Ghul"

"An al'lien" (I may be forgetting the exact old tongue, but I imagine a Lan chapter with that name)

"Callandor" (or "The sword that is not a sword")

"Leavetakings"

"The prophecy fulfilled"

there's a lot of good ones already mentioned... and I must say, a pretty interesting thread. Perhaps we should compile the ones agreed on the most, toss them in some sort of order and see how good we really are at foretelling? :)

Here are a few ideas:

The Spider's Web

A Tower Falls

A Tower Rises

Mask of Mirrors

Just a Sheep Herder

His Hour

The Hand is Severed

A Final Comfort

The Last Gathering

Breaking of the Black

A Mother's Wrath