DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brand New Fan

toplung91

Hello everyone.Totally new to Wot having only discovered it about 6 weeks ago.What can i say but WOW!.I can't believe i've been missing out on this for over 20 years.Within a few chapters of The Eye of the World i was completely hooked.I've been scouring the internet for artwork and info,which is how i discovered this fantastic site.Not since Tolkien have i wanted to be part of a fantasy world so much.I will have to try and stay clear of spoilers as i'm only half way through The Great Hunt (Despite my love for it i'm a slow reader who likes to enjoy every page).So Thank you for this site and a massive thank you to the late,great Robert Jordan for creating a modern masterpiece.

Welcome to Dragonmount, Toplung! Hope you read fast so you can avoid spoilers... :wink:

No really, though, I'd suggest you be really cautious when venturing into the General Wheel of Time Discussion threads, because most threads assume you have read all of the currently released books so spoilers are not marked. Thread titles may even give away info you haven't run across yet. :sad:

The Structured discussion section has a thread for each book, so you're generally good with the discussion threads there, at least for the ones you've read.

So tell us a little more about you! Who is your favorite character so far?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! There are a lot of helpful sorts around these parts who would be happy to answer. Most of all, have fun!

Thanks Songstress.I'll be carefully where i look until i catch up,maybe i should get some audiobooks.

As for a favourite character....well i'm a bit fickle and find myself going with the one i'm reading at the time,but if pressed i would say Lan, because i admire his strength and loyalty.I Also can't help but love Loial,the way he always has a book tucked away somewhere.But i guess this will change the more i read and re-read.Can't wait. :smile:

Haha, you're going to love the series! Yeah, i would stay very very clear of the general wheel of time discussion because a lot of people (like me, sorry) put spoilers there assuming you have read everything, that way theories can go more in depth. However, you can do a lot of other things as well. You can debate real life issues in the debates board on the general discussion as well as play mafia games. There are some great social groups, but some will contain spoilers, some you have not even heard of. Stay clear of anything you have not heard of yet, but if I remember the book correctly, you know about the White Tower, Wolfkin, and Ogier, and you will have to be careful for spoilers there too. You can RP, but some things are based on the book and they are farther then you are currently. You are probably going to find a few spoilers here, but you are also going to have a great time here! Welcome to DM! I am always open for any questions you have.

Thanks RandA IThor.I've got so much to catch up on,but i am looking foward to uncovering the story.Then i'll have to catch up on the forums :smile:

Thanks to you and Songstress for making me feel welcome.I Think i'm really going to like it here :smile:

welcome to the wild wacky tainted world of DM!!!

You know what id be interested in?? and would actually love u to PM me about? Your predictions for future books. Assuming you manage to stay away from spoilers...very hard i know....id love to hear a newbies take on it.

Feel free to PM me about that or any old thing.

Thanks dicetosser1 and Pankhuri.Well as for predictions about the series,i will probably look stupid when i find out what actually happens but i get the feeling that the books are going to keep getting darker with each one building the tension like the Harry Potter series,until the (remaining?) characters face off against The Dark One in a fierce battle where all their combined experience and powers learnt will be called upon.I will probably change my mind when i delve deeper into the series though :smile: .

As for what i like most about WoT,so much to choose.I think it's the way the books get under your skin without you realising it.I started off finding it a bit daunting at first, with so much happening and all these different characters to remember,but then i found myself thinking about them when i was out, wondering what was going to happen to them.

Also the world itself is just so rich and detailed it just comes alive in your mind and you want to go and find out more about it.Thats why i bought 'The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time' not long after i started the first book, i just wanted something to hand so i could (carefully!) look up different races and factions.It just sucks you in.I Love it! :smile:

Toplung, you're right, the books just suck you in without you realizing it and before you know it all you want to do is read the books! You wanna know something crazy...it's even worse the second time around! I've started a reread of the series last fall when I was required (yes, required) to read The Eye of the World for a class of mine (one of those specialized honors classes that are always different and fun). It's a great series that leads way to an even greater online community!

Everyone's right about avoiding the spoilers, but search around and find a place to hang out with people who love these books just as much as you do!

Hi Jeannaisais.Sounds tough having to re-read The Eye of the World :laugh: .I will eventually re-read also.I'm forgetting bits and pieces already and i'm only on book 2!!You are so right about the online community,this is the most friendly forum site i have ever been on :smile: .

Oh it was tough for quite a few of the other students. They were completely lost. And the question we had about it on our test was - what was the Eye of the World made of? Stumped just about everyone....and I must say for a first read I may not have gotten it but the second time around it made perfect sense! Now I'm curious what you think it might be :wink:

We are quite friendly around these parts...if you want to have some friendly fun you should drop by the Band, especially if you enjoy music!

Archived