DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Masema

Film Adaptations

I have seen Stardust, the movie and it is a fair dinkum joke.

XD I didn't even notice you were an Aussie until I saw that fair dinkum, mate. :p Which state are you from?

Neil Gaiman...which episode was that? Which series, rather...I recognise that quote, but I can't remember just where it's from...

I really like The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising...did not know it was a book...though it's granted, I may have only liked it because I cracked up at seeing the ninth Dr playing such a fantasyish bad guy.

I'd like to comment on Twilight as literature.

We seem to labor under the belief that every novel needs to have a hero(ine) that meets specific criteria. Needless to say, that criteria is ever changing as the morals, values and expectations of society change. Also, the viability for Bella as a heroine also largely depends upon who she is written for. For some she is just fine because she is a reflection of some young teenage girls caught between a fantasy and reality.

I can't totally condemn Twilight to the status of Harlequin romance novels because I think the novels are an amalgam of famous love stories, written for teenage audiences. And in that regard, I think it succeeds as literature. The movie is another conversation.

edit - Um, I just noticed that this is the Brown ajah forum. I clicked on the thread straight from the main forum page. So... um, sorry and I'll just be going now. *edges out the door* :blush:

Edited by Jonas

edit - Um, I just noticed that this is the Brown ajah forum. I clicked on the thread straight from the main forum page. So... um, sorry and I'll just be going now. *edges out the door

The Browns aren't going to kick you out or anything. They like having people come visit. I'd know I am in here all the time and i'm Green Ajah. :)

Yeah, don't worry about posting here. I'm an Algai and they haven't kicked me out surprisingly. I love to visit the browns. Just put the books back when you are done, in alphabetical order.

Edited by Masema

I have seen Stardust, the movie and it is a fair dinkum joke.

XD I didn't even notice you were an Aussie until I saw that fair dinkum, mate. :p Which state are you from?

Neil Gaiman...which episode was that? Which series, rather...I recognise that quote, but I can't remember just where it's from...

New South Wales (NSW)

Season 6 Episode 4 The Doctor's Wife.

I really like The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising...did not know it was a book...though it's granted, I may have only liked it because I cracked up at seeing the ninth Dr playing such a fantasyish bad guy.

I think if I had seen the film, end of story, I would have really enjoyed it. As it is, I haven't sent the DVD to eBay or anything because in itself, it's not a bad film... actually - I think it's quite fun, so long as you pretend the books don't exist. And yes - I liked the 9th-Doctor-as-bad-guy. As I said - the cast was excellent!

But as an adaptation, it's dreadful. Having read the books more than once, a long time since (actually, there are five, 'The Dark is Rising' was the series title, the most famous book and the second to be published), I found a lot of unnecessary hacking at the story. The rant is in spoiler space because it gives away a lot and I don't want to put people off either the books or the film.

Why did the family have to be American, when the characters in the books are clearly British? I appreciate that they cut out the other half of the story entirely since it would have made 5 movies, not one, but Uncle Merry had been altered beyond recognition! The crap about the twin was pointless and the end was tacky. One excellent thing the film had that the books were missing was the father's scholastic work on 'darkness'. I thought that was really, really clever and was a brilliant inclusion. The Celtic Myth woven into the books meant the signs made much more sense than the D&D-ish 'lets go on a quest for the magic McGuffin' of the film.

Rant over.

A film adaptation of one of my favorite books , Cloud Atlas, is comming out this year. Im excited but worried as well because the book is 6 different literary styles/ stories that are interconnected thus large potential to "mess it up".